Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How many would like the Banacek TV series on DVD?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 of 70 OFFLINE   JonSpice

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 09:16 AM

"Banacek" (1972)
[TV-Series 1972-1974]

Directed by
Lou Antonio
Herschel Daugherty

Plot Outline: The adventures of proud Polish-American detective Thomas Banacek. (more)

Complete credited cast:
George Peppard .... Thomas Banacek
Ralph Manza .... Jay Drury
Murray Matheson .... Felix Mulholland
rest of cast listed alphabetically
Christine Belford .... Carlie Kirkland (1973-1974)
(more)

Runtime: 90 min (17 episodes)
Language: English
Color: Color (Technicolor)
Sound Mix: Mono or 5.1 maybe

I have all 17 commercial cut episodes of the 90 minute of Thomas "Banacek", part of the Columbo and MacMillan and wife Mystery Night Movie back in the 1970's. Bamacek was one *cool* character collecting huge finder fees. Getting the audience scratching their heads as to where the item(s) went, including a disapearing football player in the middle of fotball game. My favorite "500,000 dollars a page". When are we going to see this un cut gem on DVD and how many of us are there? Posted Image
  • Everett Stallings likes this
Jon or Jake take your pick~The Wraith

#2 of 70 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,905 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted February 16 2004 - 09:34 AM

I haven't seen much of it, but I like Peppard. I'd consider it.

"I love it when a DVD set comes together."

#3 of 70 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 09:53 AM

Jon, have you seen the HT Software - TV Shows section? It's a great place to discuss TV shows on DVD.
Kyle McKnight

#4 of 70 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 10:01 AM

Not interested. There are a few other shows that I want more.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#5 of 70 OFFLINE   JonSpice

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 02:51 PM

No Kyle I am just a new member, glad you told me thoughPosted Image

#6 of 70 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 06:20 PM

I'd really enjoy getting 'Detour to Nowhere'. Maybe not the best, but my alltime favorite.

Glenn

#7 of 70 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 10:32 PM

I'd purchase a complete series box of this show in a heartbeat!

As I recall, the show was very cleverly written for the most part. The show also represented about the best acting we would get out of Peppard for a TV series. (I always felt as though some of his acting on "The A-TEAM" bordered on "cheesy".)

Yeah ... I'd purchase it!
Joseph
---------------

#8 of 70 OFFLINE   Randy Gray

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 12:23 AM

I would like to see all of the Mystery Night Movie series' released with the original MNM opening and theme. I thought that was a really cool opening. Several years ago a station in Los Angeles played most of the Columbo movies with this opening and I taped a good portion of them on VHS. Would love to replace them with DVD versions.

- Randy

#9 of 70 OFFLINE   JonSpice

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 05:31 AM

Randy and Joe that's what I did I seen this program that had the original series on it. I used Scotch Blue High Grade to edit out the commercials, but I would buy this series if it came out on DVD like you said in a heartbeat.
I view them and some still have me scratching my head. How did he figure that out, if the x-files had this guy as the script writer, they wouldn't have run out of shows. He like the series was a winner in my book.IMHO Posted Image

#10 of 70 OFFLINE   Todd B

Todd B

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 01:06 AM

Great series! Would buy in an instant.

Not sure how likely it would be. I've had Banacek on my Tivo's wish list for years with never a hit (Comcast cable). Still, would love to see it.

TB

#11 of 70 OFFLINE   Rodney S

Rodney S

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 04:58 AM

Definitely a buy! Posted Image
  • Everett Stallings likes this

#12 of 70 OFFLINE   BrianAe

BrianAe

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 05:04 AM

hehe. Yeah, count me in.

#13 of 70 OFFLINE   70stvfan

70stvfan

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted February 04 2007 - 10:51 AM

I too really loved "Banacek" (1972) starring George Peppard on the NBC Mystery Movie (rotating along with "Columbo" and "McCloud"). A predecessor to this was "The Name of the Game" which was on the first rotating series wheel, the 4 in 1 Mystery Movie. It had Gene Barry, Robert Stack, and Tony Franciosa, who each week rotated their own stories. They worked at Howard Publications, which published "Crime Magazine", and "People Magazine"(!) -- of course this was BEFORE the real People Mag came into existence. Also, from the same period (late '60s) was "It Takes a Thief" starring Robert Wagner. Like "Banacek" it ran only two seasons, but was very popular nonetheless!

NBC Universal REALLY needs to get these shows onto DVD! These were very popular in their day... so get it together you guys! We want this stuff!!

#14 of 70 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted February 04 2007 - 01:23 PM

I agree with Jeff in that I wouldn't buy this series. But I did enjoy watching Banacek in Mystery Movie reruns in the late 1980s. My favorite episode was the one in which a $1 million sports car is stolen, and nobody in the crowd saw how it disappeared!

Seconding the motion to want to see a show I've never had the chance to see from the previous post: The Name of the Game, I would buy those sight unseen just as I did with Wiseguy.

I was the first person here to want Robert Wagner's best series It Takes a Thief released on disc. The show kept improving each season, reaching a pinnacle of excellence in the final year 1969-1970 in which Fred Astaire was seen in about a half dozen episodes as Alexander Mundy's father Alistar Mundy. It was Fred at his best, working with Al on capers together. Wagner usually fawned over sexy young women that turned up in this series (and understandably so), and that included his future Hart to Hart co-star Stefanie Powers who guested in "Fortune City" with Broderick Crawford. But Al saw the inner beauty of an old woman in "Touch of Magic", because that lady was herself a former thief as played by Bette Davis.

#15 of 70 OFFLINE   70stvfan

70stvfan

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted February 04 2007 - 01:59 PM

I would also like to see the original opening (of the NBC Mystery Movie)... it was VERY cool. It featured a man walking & holding a flashlight that he would shine across the camera, to a GREAT main title theme composed by the equally great Henry Mancini. Yes, this should most definitely be included in any DVD's of Banacek, or future DVD's of McCloud, Macmillan & Wife, and Columbo, which all rotated under the Mystery Movie banner.

#16 of 70 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted February 04 2007 - 02:08 PM

I have to admit that I really loved this series as well ... I caught this series after getting drawn into watching the A-Team. It's definately a must have after Columbo.

#17 of 70 OFFLINE   Todd B

Todd B

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 02:51 AM

I would still buy it in an instant!

#18 of 70 OFFLINE   docdoowop

docdoowop

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 07:20 AM

Pass.

#19 of 70 OFFLINE   Rick CHO

Rick CHO

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted February 10 2007 - 11:53 AM

I would definitely buy this on DVD. Also want the rest of McMillian & Wife seasons as well.

#20 of 70 OFFLINE   Darko

Darko

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted February 10 2007 - 01:34 PM

I'd buy it. I loved watching it when it was on the air.
Regards
Darko

If peanut butter cookies are made from peanut butter, what are Girl Scout cookies made from?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users