What's new

Starship Troopers: Roughnecks revisited (1 Viewer)

Eric F

Screenwriter
I finally got around to picking up the Roughnecks Zephyr DVD that came out a few months ago, so I thought I'd watch the whole series. First time around I stopped halfway, as I knew large parts of series were missing.

I've forgotten most of what I've seen, and forgotten how good this series is. I missed it the first time around because it was lumped in with the Sat morning kiddie set.

The story is much closer to the original book than the movie is, and the longer series gives time for the characters/plot to develop over time. The CGI animation is very good, and stands up well even after 5 years, and is suitable for the material being dealt with. There's not alot of gore so if you're squeemish you don't need to worry. I'd prefer if it was a bit more realistic, but I suppose some mucky-muck decided animation must be for kids, so it needed to be toned down. No matter, the story and voice acting more than makes up for it.

Roughnecks is one of the best Sci-Fi/action series ever produced. Animation allows the series to be set in exotic locations were live action series like Farscape could never go. Too bad the US studios are still confused that "animated" must mean for kids, because Roughnecks should have been a primetime show somewhere. It deserved a larger audience.

If you're a Heinlein fan, like smart Sci-Fi or just good ol' plain action, you owe yourself a viewing. I practically guarantee that once you see the first DVD you'll want the rest.

Now if only they'ld complete those last few episodes...

DVD Viewing order:

Pluto
Hydora
Tophet
Tesca
Zephyr
Klendathu
Homefront

Eric F

Screenwriter
Better they take the money for the voiceovers and use it to finish the final episodes.

Seems like a waste of money. I doubt I'll be purchasing it.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
There's a huge difference in the cost to revoice some clips compared to recording the voices, animation and rendering the remaining episodes.

Gord

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I remember the first announcement of Roughnecks coming out on dvd. I was personally hoping for a more uncensored version(aka blood and violence). I always disliked the fact the bugs just sort of keeling over when shot up. They never got blown to bits like the book or the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks