Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Wireless Keyboard not seen on startup?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted February 15 2004 - 10:33 AM

My father in law has a new Gateway P4 setup. 2.8 HT chip. He went out and bought the Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse executive edition package from Costco. Installed it, and it works fine.

However, after turning the computer off yesterday, then rebooting this morning, it won't recognize the keyboard when booting. If he plugs his wired keyboard back in, boots, then returns to the wireless setup, it's fine. The wireless setup always works fine in WinXP Home, just not seen on boot.

Any ideas? Sorry for the lack of details. I'm troubleshooting via phone, ya know.Posted Image

Todd
I love to singa, about the moon-a, and the june-a, and the springa...
-Owl Jolson

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Cary_H

Cary_H

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted February 15 2004 - 11:49 AM

Just a guess, but on bootup it sounds to me like the system is still looking for the original keyboard. If it's unplugged it isn't happy when expecting to see it and doesn't. With it connected it is able to complete booting. Have you tried going into the Device Manager and seeing if it sees both keyboards? I would think you could select the original and remove it, or simply disable it in 'properties' so it stops looking for it at boot and instead looks for the wireless one.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Bob_Bo

Bob_Bo

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 11:06 AM

Todd, Make sure your father in-law installed the drivers that came with the keyboard (or better yet, download the latest ones), and didn't just use the generic winxp drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users