What's new

The Apprentice on DVD (1 Viewer)

Sean Frost

Stunt Coordinator
In the Chicago Tribune for this Sunday there is an article on reality shows and they mention The Apprentice on DVD:

"Fox brought out "The Simple Life" on DVD imediately after it ended, and Zucker (NBC executive) said NBC will do the same with "The Apprentice" Section 7 pg 13

It's not official or anything but it definatly gives some hope to having this pretty good series on DVD.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Huh...that's surprising. Most contest-based reality shows won't be released because once the winner is known many people won't purchase the set (no doubt someone will post after me saying "I'd buy it," but the majority won't).

Gord

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
This is one show I've wanted to watch but haven't been able to, so a quick DVD release would be great.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

I've been pushing for Survivor sets for two years in this thread but Martin Blythe said the sales weren't good enough from the two recap DVD's to justify season sets. Maybe if some contest-based shows like The Apprentice, Big Brother, Celebrity Mole... sell well, Paramount will reconsider Survivor box sets.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Daniel, I think it would take a lot to make them rethink that.

If you look at the other reality-game shows, they are smaller companies releasing them. They would be happy with the lower sales #s brought in by these sets while Paramount wouldn't. I don't know what Paramount's licensing is like, but many of the larger studios don't license titles out. So just because we see other reality shows released, it doesn't mean we'll ever see Survivor.

At the TV DVD conference in Oct it was pretty much a concensus that these types of shows won't do well on DVD in season sets. With that said, I think CBS/Paramount could do alright if they released 2 disc sets of the Survivor shows along with the interviews of cast members from Letterman and the Early Show. How many of us actually caught all those interviews? I know I didn't, and I'd probably pay money to have them on DVD.

Gord

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I'd definitely shell out for that Gord. I know it would really take a lot for them to rethink season sets based on the reasons you mentioned, but with Survivor doing so well now ratings-wise, it's a shame that CBS/Paramount can't capitilize on that on DVD.

I got my hands on the Emmy screener DVD that has the Survivor: The Amazon premiere along with a Survivor: Thailand episode, but it's such a tease having that DVD knowing there's almost no chance of getting season sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks