What's new

Why did DTS-audio CD flop ? (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Any reason why DTS-AUDIO has not been so popular ? isn't it a multi-channel format just like dvd-a and SACD ?...

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
A few reasons...
1. Poor distribution. (NOT TO BE BLAMED ON IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT!)
2. Consistant repurtation of DTS... It wasn't Digital Theater System, it was Do They Ship? This is still true of their own DVD-Audio titles.
3. Incompatability with stadard surround sound systems & CD players. Yes, DVD-Audio disc still do not work on a standard player, but the DD tracks do down mix for standard equipment.
4. Most people just didn't care.
Multi-channel music is a tough sell for some people, and personally, I've hear some really useless 5.1 mixes. (Bonnie Raitt: Road Tested vomes to mind.) Many consumers are sitting on the fence waiting for this fucking format war to settle, no one want to watse their money on a format that will be obsolete within five years.
Daniel L

Ray R

Stunt Coordinator
DTS audio CD's do not have any copyright protection. The record industry wanted copyright protection.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Lack of software.
The selection is still weak after it has been available for a few years now.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I knew DTS audio CDs were doomed the minute the company spent more time whining about (and talking about legal action with respect to) the fact that MLP was chosen for DVD-Audio than they did about their own product.

AaronJB

Second Unit
While DTS multi-channel (whether DTS CD or DVD-A) titles aren't really that mainstream (although there are exceptions like Sting, etc), they've really introduced me to some terrific artists like Esteban (whose "Enter The Heart" DVD-A is fantastic), Les Brown (I have a review copy of his upcoming DVD-A which is excellent) and others.
So, while I would like them to more consistently meet street dates (their DVD-Audio titles seem to be delayed a few times before release), I've liked DTS's multi-channel offerings.

JaleelK

Second Unit
"Any reason why DTS-AUDIO has not been so popular ? isn't it a multi-channel format just like dvd-a and SACD ?..."
Yes, but isn't SACD and DVD-A a flop up to this point. I rather prefer multi-channel DTS over DVD-A because there isn't any bass management with DVD-A and its present implementation. Unless you have have five full-range speakers or a Holosonic system ala Widescreen Review's, you can't really get LF info from DVD-A.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
DTS CDs are waaaay overpriced- but of course most regular CDs are now too. $25 for a normal-length album is just ridiculous for any format, unless it includes the actual musicians coming into your living room and playing live! I don't know why anyone is buying regular CDs at prices of $18.99, and I think DVD-Audio and SACD won't succeed as formats because they require buying new equipment on top of even more-overpriced discs!
That said, I have a few CD-R copied DTS CDs a friend graciously made for me. I would have bought many of these myself, but the price tags are just too high. They do sound great, but if I have a choice between dropping $25 on a movie or an album, I'm usually gonna go with the movie (or a feature-length concert video).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How do you play a DTS-CD? CD player? DVD player? Some new player?
This is another part of why it failed -- people don't know what the heck it is, nor how to play it.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
The only dts music title I own is Diana Krall. I own both versions and the dts cd is definitely the one to own. And on a unrelated note, what's up with the language in such a calm response Daniel?? Do you usually talk that way?

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Dave,
You just need a DVD player that will play a DTS DVD and a DTS decoder in your receiver or player. I really like the DTS CD's I have and I think they sound fantastic. I just wish they had more titles available.
------------------

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
You just need a DVD player that will play a DTS DVD and a DTS decoder in your receiver or player
Not quite. You need a CD, LD or DVD player that has an optical or coaxial output and a DTS decoder in your receiver.
DTS on CD is not encoded the same way as on DVDs. It works practically the same as a regular audio CD except that you need a DTS decoder somewhere.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I love my few DVD-As that I have: Metallica, Natalie Merchant, Fleetwood Mac, STP. I wish they would come out with more though. They play fine on my regualr DVD player: Pioneer DV626. My reciever is Yamaha YH23.
Now whats the difference with what i have going on vs a DVDA player?
------------------

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Gee,
I was just thinking about making a topic of "Are they still making DTS-CDs?", because I haven't bought any in so long.
I have the dts versions of Diana Krall "Love Scenes", Allman Brothers "Live at Fillmore East", Ray Brown Trio "Summertime", and Cheryl Crow "The Globe Sessions". Not too many CDs for 2 years of buying.
They sound good, but are overpriced and have limited distribution. It's too bad the company didn't do a better job marketing.

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
I love my Police DTS. It's the best sounding thing I have ever heard. I'd like to start buying DVD-A, but I only have a regular player. Is the DD conversion still better than a soundtrack with video? Not being a techie, I assume the extra space should yield better sound somehow. On Hell Freezes Over, the audio only track seems to be better than the rest of the disc, but maybe it has something to do with my brain not having to process pictures with music. Specifically, I want to buy the Doors, but am shy about the $22 price. Any comments?

Mike Walker

Auditioning
Jason, I couldn't agree with you more about the Police DTS...I love that CD. I just wish all of their albums were in DTS...man...So Lonely in DTS. :)

AllenD

Second Unit
Incompatability with stadard surround sound systems & CD players.
I'm not trying to criticize your response. I'm just trying to offer clarity on the definition of what a standard..cd player is. Most cd players now come with a digital out, which is usually an optical out. I always thought this was "standard" nowadays, or am I wrong? As mentioned, these cd players are compatible for playback of DTSA cds as long as a DTS decoder is available in the system somewhere.
I think another reason that DTSA never became popular was that the general mass (AKA J6P) either didn't know about it or they didn't want to spend more money on another upgrage. If you bought an AVR or a pre/pro more than 3-4 years ago, it most likely didn't have a DTS decoder in it. You either bought a new AVR, pre/pro, or a stand-alone DTS decoder in order to listen to DTSA cds and DTS DVDs. We all know who are the only ones willing to upgrade...the far-out-numbered audio/HT enthusiasts and lunatics, us. :) And we alone can't support an entire format.

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
DTS CD's. One of favourite questions to show just how little UK record shops know about music formats. The usual response is: "Huh? What's that?" I have yet to find ANYWHERE in the UK that stocks these mysterious discs. Anyone know of any? Also, the choice is pretty limited. Mind you I think I saw on this forum that they've mixed 'A night at the Opera' into 5.1 - is this for a DTS CD?
It's a flop because it's been seriously held back by the publishers etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks