-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Why did DTS-audio CD flop ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 of 46 anthony_b

anthony_b

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 06:00 AM

Any reason why DTS-AUDIO has not been so popular ? isn't it a multi-channel format just like dvd-a and SACD ?...
Think before you speak....Peace always

#2 of 46 Daniel L

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 07:04 AM

A few reasons...

1. Poor distribution. (NOT TO BE BLAMED ON IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT!)

2. Consistant repurtation of DTS... It wasn't Digital Theater System, it was Do They Ship? This is still true of their own DVD-Audio titles.

3. Incompatability with stadard surround sound systems & CD players. Yes, DVD-Audio disc still do not work on a standard player, but the DD tracks do down mix for standard equipment.

4. Most people just didn't care.

Multi-channel music is a tough sell for some people, and personally, I've hear some really useless 5.1 mixes. (Bonnie Raitt: Road Tested vomes to mind.) Many consumers are sitting on the fence waiting for this fucking format war to settle, no one want to watse their money on a format that will be obsolete within five years.

Daniel L

#3 of 46 Ray R

Ray R

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 07:05 AM

DTS audio CD's do not have any copyright protection. The record industry wanted copyright protection.

#4 of 46 Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 07:27 AM

Lack of software.

The selection is still weak after it has been available for a few years now.
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#5 of 46 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,455 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 07:32 AM

I knew DTS audio CDs were doomed the minute the company spent more time whining about (and talking about legal action with respect to) the fact that MLP was chosen for DVD-Audio than they did about their own product.

#6 of 46 AaronJB

AaronJB

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 07:48 AM

While DTS multi-channel (whether DTS CD or DVD-A) titles aren't really that mainstream (although there are exceptions like Sting, etc), they've really introduced me to some terrific artists like Esteban (whose "Enter The Heart" DVD-A is fantastic), Les Brown (I have a review copy of his upcoming DVD-A which is excellent) and others.

So, while I would like them to more consistently meet street dates (their DVD-Audio titles seem to be delayed a few times before release), I've liked DTS's multi-channel offerings.
Aaron
Webmaster,A Guide To Current DVD
http://www.currentfi...m/dvdindex.html

#7 of 46 JaleelK

JaleelK

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 10:45 AM

"Any reason why DTS-AUDIO has not been so popular ? isn't it a multi-channel format just like dvd-a and SACD ?..."

Yes, but isn't SACD and DVD-A a flop up to this point. I rather prefer multi-channel DTS over DVD-A because there isn't any bass management with DVD-A and its present implementation. Unless you have have five full-range speakers or a Holosonic system ala Widescreen Review's, you can't really get LF info from DVD-A.

#8 of 46 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,001 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 12:02 PM

DTS CDs are waaaay overpriced- but of course most regular CDs are now too. $25 for a normal-length album is just ridiculous for any format, unless it includes the actual musicians coming into your living room and playing live! I don't know why anyone is buying regular CDs at prices of $18.99, and I think DVD-Audio and SACD won't succeed as formats because they require buying new equipment on top of even more-overpriced discs!
That said, I have a few CD-R copied DTS CDs a friend graciously made for me. I would have bought many of these myself, but the price tags are just too high. They do sound great, but if I have a choice between dropping $25 on a movie or an album, I'm usually gonna go with the movie (or a feature-length concert video).
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#9 of 46 Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 12:10 PM

Lack of software and an unheathy prediliction with pretentious rock music.
No longer here.

#10 of 46 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,306 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 19 2001 - 12:23 PM

How do you play a DTS-CD? CD player? DVD player? Some new player?

This is another part of why it failed -- people don't know what the heck it is, nor how to play it.

#11 of 46 Robert_eb

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 12:24 PM

The only dts music title I own is Diana Krall. I own both versions and the dts cd is definitely the one to own. And on a unrelated note, what's up with the language in such a calm response Daniel?? Do you usually talk that way?

#12 of 46 Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit

• 283 posts
  • LocationGarland,Tx.

Posted October 19 2001 - 05:51 PM

Dave,
You just need a DVD player that will play a DTS DVD and a DTS decoder in your receiver or player. I really like the DTS CD's I have and I think they sound fantastic. I just wish they had more titles available.

------------------

#13 of 46 Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 08:05 PM

Quote:
You just need a DVD player that will play a DTS DVD and a DTS decoder in your receiver or player

Not quite. You need a CD, LD or DVD player that has an optical or coaxial output and a DTS decoder in your receiver.

DTS on CD is not encoded the same way as on DVDs. It works practically the same as a regular audio CD except that you need a DTS decoder somewhere.
No longer here.

#14 of 46 Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 09:31 PM

I love my few DVD-As that I have: Metallica, Natalie Merchant, Fleetwood Mac, STP. I wish they would come out with more though. They play fine on my regualr DVD player: Pioneer DV626. My reciever is Yamaha YH23.

Now whats the difference with what i have going on vs a DVDA player?

------------------

My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#15 of 46 Julian Reville

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

• 1,197 posts

Posted October 20 2001 - 12:53 AM

Gee,
I was just thinking about making a topic of "Are they still making DTS-CDs?", because I haven't bought any in so long.

I have the dts versions of Diana Krall "Love Scenes", Allman Brothers "Live at Fillmore East", Ray Brown Trio "Summertime", and Cheryl Crow "The Globe Sessions". Not too many CDs for 2 years of buying.

They sound good, but are overpriced and have limited distribution. It's too bad the company didn't do a better job marketing.

#16 of 46 Jason Boucher

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted October 20 2001 - 02:13 AM

I love my Police DTS. It's the best sounding thing I have ever heard. I'd like to start buying DVD-A, but I only have a regular player. Is the DD conversion still better than a soundtrack with video? Not being a techie, I assume the extra space should yield better sound somehow. On Hell Freezes Over, the audio only track seems to be better than the rest of the disc, but maybe it has something to do with my brain not having to process pictures with music. Specifically, I want to buy the Doors, but am shy about the $22 price. Any comments?

#17 of 46 Mike Walker

Mike Walker

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted October 20 2001 - 03:51 AM

Jason, I couldn't agree with you more about the Police DTS...I love that CD. I just wish all of their albums were in DTS...man...So Lonely in DTS. Posted Image

#18 of 46 AllenD

AllenD

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted October 20 2001 - 04:42 AM

Quote:
Incompatability with stadard surround sound systems & CD players.

I'm not trying to criticize your response. I'm just trying to offer clarity on the definition of what a standard..cd player is. Most cd players now come with a digital out, which is usually an optical out. I always thought this was "standard" nowadays, or am I wrong? As mentioned, these cd players are compatible for playback of DTSA cds as long as a DTS decoder is available in the system somewhere.

I think another reason that DTSA never became popular was that the general mass (AKA J6P) either didn't know about it or they didn't want to spend more money on another upgrage. If you bought an AVR or a pre/pro more than 3-4 years ago, it most likely didn't have a DTS decoder in it. You either bought a new AVR, pre/pro, or a stand-alone DTS decoder in order to listen to DTSA cds and DTS DVDs. We all know who are the only ones willing to upgrade...the far-out-numbered audio/HT enthusiasts and lunatics, us. Posted Image And we alone can't support an entire format.

#19 of 46 Richard Cooper

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted October 20 2001 - 06:20 AM

DTS CD's. One of favourite questions to show just how little UK record shops know about music formats. The usual response is: "Huh? What's that?" I have yet to find ANYWHERE in the UK that stocks these mysterious discs. Anyone know of any? Also, the choice is pretty limited. Mind you I think I saw on this forum that they've mixed 'A night at the Opera' into 5.1 - is this for a DTS CD?

It's a flop because it's been seriously held back by the publishers etc.

#20 of 46 Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,711 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 20 2001 - 12:33 PM

Sweet. I've been on the fence for some time now about the Police DTS disc. Think I'll have to pick it up now. Posted Image

------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Forum Nav Content I Follow