What's new

Green Acres...future seasons (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's been less than two months since it came out. I imagine it will be some time before we hear anything.

John KB

Second Unit
Somebody should know something by now. I'd like to know how it sold and if we can expect future seasons.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Well, why can't TVLand, the tv channel of old shows, air commercials of old shows coming to DVD?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Probably because they'd be shooting themselves in the foot/feet if they did. TVLand probably doesn't give a hoot whether we buy TV DVDs or not. They'd probably prefer we didn't. It's got to hurt their ratings.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They're a commercial network just like any other. They'll take the ads if they pay the price, unless Janet Jackson is in them. :D

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
OK, I suppose that's true. But the price to advertise a DVD of a TVLand program might prove to be quite on the high side. It'd have to be IMO. WHY would they intentionally desire to cut potential viewership?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Oh, TV Land doesn't mind airing commercials for TV DVD sets. I remember the ads for Three's Company season 1 on TV Land airing when the show was.

I'll bet that the full weekend marathon TV Land just did for Green Acres probably sold a few more of those season 1 sets, too. :)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Season 1 was great! The picture quality looks awesome, especially when compared to how it looks when they air the episodes on TVLand. I hope they do as good a job with the 2nd season set. Hopefully they will release season 2 before the end of the year.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I am also wondering when Green Acres: Season 2 will come out. I own Green Acres: Season 1 but I haven't watched it yet but I will purchase Season 2 when it comes out. Green Acres is one of my favorite TV shows from the 1960's right after Addams Family.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
People, the first season came out in January. Keep a few things in mind, and maybe you'll feel better.

1. Green Acres had a very low price point. Why this is important is if the price is low, then that probably means that the production costs are also lower. If this is true, then the number of sales to justify a season 2 release doesn't have to be as high as it might have been if the production cost was higher.
2. Green Acres was ranked very high on amazon.com's list of top selling DVDs for awhile, and while that may not be a good indicator of how it was received overall it is an encouraging enough sign to me.
3. Remember that relatively speaking this is one of the very first MGM releases on DVD for a TV program, and so they might be more apt to see this one through than to test another show so quickly. I know that if you compare this show to other studios earlier attempts like Larry Sanders or AITF or Mad About You, that might not hold up as well, but that goes back to what I said before in that this release has several things going for it that those others didn't if Acres was priced like Larry Sanders it might have shared the same fait.

So my conclusion is that it could still be awhile before something is announced, but iMO the outlook is pretty good. Besides, if you can't get it from MGM, you might see if Mr. Haney has a few sets on the back of his truck. It might cost you a bundle though.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
You know, I had no idea that this was even out on DVD until I found this thread yesterday. Very odd. I guess this shows how oblivious I am to a lot of things. Will definitely have to pick Season One up, as I've been all over the reruns on TVLand lately.

Going off on a tangent here, and kind of inspired by the "dream commentary" people posted about in the Film Software section a while back about "The Big Lebowski": If he were still alive, I'd love to hear the actor who played Mr. Kimball do a commentary for a single episode completely in character. I don't know why, but that would strike me as terribly funny. Just give him a microphone and let him ramble for 25 minutes. It'll probably never happen, but the simple thought of it brings a smile to my face. :D

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Ah yes...I have Season 1 and have been watching the reruns on TV Land- truly a great show that played by its own rules and had a touch a surrealism which I have seen on only a few other TV shows: "Night Court", "Are You Being Served?" and the sketch comedy of Ernie Kovacs and Benny Hill.

People seem to forget that "Green Acres" was cancelled in 1971 not for ratings, but as part of CBS' infamous "rural purge" of 1970-71, in which long-popular rural-themed shows ("Beverly Hillbillies", "Hee Haw", "Mayberry R.F.D." ) were dumped because the network wanted a more youthful, sophisticated image. Never mind that all these shows were still bringing in big numbers- Fred Silverman wanted Archie Bunker, not Jed Clampett! As Pat Buttram (Mr. Haney from "Green Acres") put it: "They cancelled everything with a tree in it".

The fact that "Green Acres" has stood the test of time is a tribute to the people who worked for 5 years on the show. Here's to more seasons on DVD!!

Richie C.

Stunt Coordinator
There is a HUGE difference in picture & sound quality between the DVD's and what they show on TV Land. It's DEFINITELY worth purchasing!

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

Green Acres isn't MGM's first TV on DVD release because MGM released the 1960's Outer Limits TV show on DVD. The releases are The Outer Limits - The Original Series, Season 1 (released Sept 2002) & The Outer Limits - The Original Series, Season 2 (release Sept 2003).

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I said one of the first, not the first there is a difference. They're still way behind when it comes to a TV on DVD presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks