What's new

Weird insect found in my room. (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I found a weird insect in my room yesterday that looked like it belonged in the Amazon jungle, and when i killed it it smelled like a pear. It had a probiscus type thing for a mouth, long spindly legs, and kind of looked like a cross between a beetle, katydid, and grasshopper.

StephenA

Screenwriter
No it didn't. It was just walking around on my bed. Why it was there or where it came from I have no idea.

StephenA

Screenwriter
No, it was bigger than that. It was kind of a mix between a square and triangle in shape. Thanks for helping though.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Stephen,

I have no idea what insect you are writing about here, but is it possible that you bought some fruit or veggies into the house where the insect could have come from?

Spending quite a bit of time in the New England area myself, I found it damn cold there in the winter. Hard to believe that it came from the outside of course or was a native of your area the way you describe it.

Did you play taps for that monster insect?? :)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
There are some walking sticks native to the area. I hope that wasn't it as they're quite rare to see.

StephenA

Screenwriter
No it wasn't a walking stick. I do get bananas, apples, and a few different types of vegetables alot, so maybe it came in on them. It definitely was a weird insect. The closest I came to finding what it looks like is a brown stink bug, but it didn't exactly look that either. It's very hard to explain what it looks like, except that it's something you'd expect to see in a jungle. I do live live near a swamp and the woods that get very lush during the spring and summer, so maybe it came from there to hibernate in my house. Who knows. All I know is that the thing freaked me out.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Like Chas suggests, perhaps imported from groceries, a fellow traveller of globalization.

I was standing outside a car dealership in Ottawa a few years ago waiting for a ride, when I heard a clunk beside me. I looked and saw a humungous grey beetle struggling on the ground, mut have been 3 or so inches long.

I figure it fell off the roof of the building. Or maybe from an airplane :)

My ride came, so I left, but I wish I'd had a bottle or something to collect it.

PS to Seunghsoo - that looks like an interesting site, thanks for posting it.

StephenA

Screenwriter
That wasn't it either Suengsoo. It was an olive color. It mystifies me still. Dunno what it could be.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
My friend and I found an extremely weird and creepy bug in his car one day. We figured that since his Jetta was made in Mexico, an egg (or whatever) was shipped with the car and it took that long for it to find it's way to the passenger area.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Oh come on. Next time you sees a weird bug, grab your digital camera and take a picture for all of us to see so we don't have to guess what it might have looked like!

StephenA

Screenwriter
The closest I can find on it is the brown stink bug, like I said before. I'm not sure if it is one because it didn't look exactly like the pictures I saw, but it did look similar. Brown stink bugs are native to my area, so it very well could be that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something different due to the way it moved and looked.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The trick to finding new insects is to get a pet tarantula or scorpion. Capture the new insect and put it in the tarantula/scorpion cage. Then film the event with a DV camcorder.

Then use your computer movie-editing equipment to add the 'Kirk vs. Spock' fight to the death soundtrack.

Then post the link on HTF-After Hours Lounge.:)

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I've heard of people getting NAILED by scorpians and some fairly lethal varieties of south american/ australian Spiders that come in on Fruit and FLowers... Being it's valentines day, flowers are traveling ALL over the country from all over the WORLD... Maybe that's the culprit?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks