What's new

'Clerks: 10 Year Aniversary Edition' still coming this year? (1 Viewer)

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I remember on the commentary track for 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back' that Kevin Smith mentioned something about a special edition of 'Clerks' coming out on the film's ten year anniversary which is this year. With Miramax releasing new editions of 'Trainspotting' and the words Wave 1 mentioned, is it still possible we might get the disc? I believe it was even mentioned on the View Askew website.

Marius W

Agent
Real Name
Marius Willms
If you head over to Kevin's website (viewaskew.com / newsaskew.com), you can find the following news from Jannury 11th this year:

-Marius

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Very cool. This will probably be apart of Miramax's Wave 2 of special editions later on in the year. The current 'Clerks' disc is okay but this would look great if it were remastered and included a new commentary track.

Haden

Supporting Actor
But should I keep the original DVD? It was a decent special edition for its time, with some great extras. If they are including a NEW commentary on the 10th anniversary edition, then obviously I should keep the original too for that first commentary. It was a funny one, especially with Jay drunk in a hotel room.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
I'm sorry, but I have to stick my 2 cents in on this one.

Should the new special edition even be in widescreen? What i'm getting at is this: The original film was shot on a low budget, and was simply shot, and no widescreen framing was used. After it was picked up by Miramax, theatrical distribution / widescreen framing was inevitable, but some shots still don't look exactly right on the big screen. So what i'm asking is...

Should Clerks really be in widescreen at all on this upcoming release? And what should be considered the OAR on this film?

(or maybe they should put both full-frame AND widescreen on the disc?)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Since the first time I've heard about the possibility of a Clerks re-release, I have been hearing that it might include a new extended "director's cut" of the film, so if they only include the extended cut and not the original theatrical version, then that alone will obviously be reason enough to keep the original release.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'll definitely be picking this up, even if the commentary is different. I'm not a fan of the pass the microphone around the room track on the first release, its a funny track with Jason Mews snoring and all, but the noise of the microphone being passed around was a bit annoying.

Of course, I will be keeping the original release as well.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.

I always thought that Vincent was referring to how well the shots came out, considering they weren't really framing for widescreen.

Anyway, if it ends up 1.85:1, at least i hope the disc gets the anamorphic treatment this time around...

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I haven't heard of a release date yet, but I just saw a post at DVDTalk today that pointed to more news recently posted at newsaskew.com about this. It's looking good:
After seeing that, I went to the IMDB to see if I could find out about that show, and I also wanted to see when Clerks was released. It was released theatrically on 10/19/94. Looking at the calendar, 10/19/04 is a Tuesday. It would be nice if they could have it ready for that day. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Man, this is shaping up to be pretty sweet. If it is 3 discs, it could have 2 versions of the movie, the new doc, the pilot and all the bonus material form the initial release.
:emoji_thumbsup:

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Kevin always referrs to himself as whoring out merchandise and DVDs and such. If he keeps this sort of thing up, I'll continue to happily be his John.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Yay! More Kevin Smith!

I, too, also question the use of widescreen framing for Clerks....any word from Kevin Smith on it?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I have some info re: this:

I don't know the exact street date, but it WILL be out later this year. I was interviewed in early April (at RST Video, no less) for a new documentary that'll be on the DVD, and supplied the DVD producers with a short reel of Super-8 film of behind-the-scenes footage for use in the doc, as well.

The producer of the DVD (Phil Benson, formerly of Skywalker Sound and co-producer of JERSEY GIRL) told me that a new High-Definition widescreen transfer has done for the release, using the 16mm interpositive as a source (the original DVD was mastered from a 35mm blow-up source), so the new DVD will indeed be anamorphic widescreen. Kevin and cinemtaographer David Klien were given the option of releasing it full-screen, but declined. Both of them prefer the widescreen framing, and the film WAS framed for eventual blow-up to 1.85:1 35mm on set even though it was shot in standard, 1.37:1 16mm. They both feel that the "full-frame" version is too loose with too much headroom, and as I pointed out above, CLERKS was filmed with the idea that it'd eventually be blown up to 1.85:1 35mm from the get-go.

I'm not sure if a new commentary will be recorded or not, but another thing Phil said is that the new DVD will offer not only the original theatrical cut, but they're trying to reconstruct the original longer "film festival" cut from the 16mm trim negatives and include that as well (I'm not sure if the two cuts will be on seperate discs, or offered via seamless-branching, though). I'm pretty sure they also videotaped the Q&A at a screening of CLERKS at the Archlight in Los Angeles last month for inclusion on the disc, too.

Vincent

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Great news!! I wouldnt have a problem owning two copies of Clerks if the original offered something the new one doesn't have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks