Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

'Clerks: 10 Year Aniversary Edition' still coming this year?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 Travis_W

Travis_W

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted February 14 2004 - 01:55 AM

I remember on the commentary track for 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back' that Kevin Smith mentioned something about a special edition of 'Clerks' coming out on the film's ten year anniversary which is this year. With Miramax releasing new editions of 'Trainspotting' and the words Wave 1 mentioned, is it still possible we might get the disc? I believe it was even mentioned on the View Askew website.
I am Jack's empty signature bar.

#2 of 32 Marius W

Marius W

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted February 14 2004 - 07:20 AM

If you head over to Kevin's website (viewaskew.com / newsaskew.com), you can find the following news from Jannury 11th this year:

Quote:
You may have missed this unless you frequent the TalkBacks area, but Kevin posted a link to a newly updated preview of the Jay & Bob Strike Back documentary that's going to appear on the Clerks anniversary DVD later this year. It looks like the doc, which will run around 3 hours in length, has a title as well: "Oh, What A Lovely Tea Party..." (which fans may remember was the capping line in the internet only trailer for the film from a couple years back). It's a big file, so be patient, especially if you're dialing in, and ENJOY! The file was edited by Mattt Potter, who's currently putting the finishing touches on the product.

-Marius

#3 of 32 Travis_W

Travis_W

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted February 14 2004 - 08:08 AM

Very cool. This will probably be apart of Miramax's Wave 2 of special editions later on in the year. The current 'Clerks' disc is okay but this would look great if it were remastered and included a new commentary track.
I am Jack's empty signature bar.

#4 of 32 Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted February 14 2004 - 09:37 AM

But should I keep the original DVD? It was a decent special edition for its time, with some great extras. If they are including a NEW commentary on the 10th anniversary edition, then obviously I should keep the original too for that first commentary. It was a funny one, especially with Jay drunk in a hotel room.

#5 of 32 DavidS

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted February 15 2004 - 05:25 AM

I'm sorry, but I have to stick my 2 cents in on this one.

Should the new special edition even be in widescreen? What i'm getting at is this: The original film was shot on a low budget, and was simply shot, and no widescreen framing was used. After it was picked up by Miramax, theatrical distribution / widescreen framing was inevitable, but some shots still don't look exactly right on the big screen. So what i'm asking is...

Should Clerks really be in widescreen at all on this upcoming release? And what should be considered the OAR on this film?

(or maybe they should put both full-frame AND widescreen on the disc?)
-David Shetterly
Rocky Horror Picture Show Official Fan Club
Vice President / www.RockyHorror.com Webmaster

#6 of 32 Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

• 772 posts

Posted February 15 2004 - 06:08 AM

Quote:
If they are including a NEW commentary on the 10th anniversary edition

I believe that is the plan.
If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

#7 of 32 Benjamin Ricci

Benjamin Ricci

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted February 15 2004 - 09:13 AM

At one point Vincent comments on how well framed the shots are in the commentary, so I'm assuming that 1:85 is the OAR.

#8 of 32 Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted February 15 2004 - 11:51 AM

Quote:
But should I keep the original DVD? It was a decent special edition for its time, with some great extras. If they are including a NEW commentary on the 10th anniversary edition, then obviously I should keep the original too for that first commentary.
Since the first time I've heard about the possibility of a Clerks re-release, I have been hearing that it might include a new extended "director's cut" of the film, so if they only include the extended cut and not the original theatrical version, then that alone will obviously be reason enough to keep the original release.

#9 of 32 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted February 15 2004 - 12:12 PM

I'll definitely be picking this up, even if the commentary is different. I'm not a fan of the pass the microphone around the room track on the first release, its a funny track with Jason Mews snoring and all, but the noise of the microphone being passed around was a bit annoying.

Of course, I will be keeping the original release as well.

#10 of 32 DavidS

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 12:55 AM

Quote:
At one point Vincent comments on how well framed the shots are in the commentary, so I'm assuming that 1:85 is the OAR.

I always thought that Vincent was referring to how well the shots came out, considering they weren't really framing for widescreen.

Anyway, if it ends up 1.85:1, at least i hope the disc gets the anamorphic treatment this time around...
-David Shetterly
Rocky Horror Picture Show Official Fan Club
Vice President / www.RockyHorror.com Webmaster

#11 of 32 James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,061 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 02:46 AM

Does anyone have a release date for this?

#12 of 32 Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 03:08 AM

I haven't heard of a release date yet, but I just saw a post at DVDTalk today that pointed to more news recently posted at newsaskew.com about this. It's looking good:
Quote:
The live action, rarely seen Clerks TV show (which we toyed with you about back in our April Fools joke this year) might actually become part of the Clerks 10th anniversary jam-packed THREE-DVD set. Yes, THREE. You read that right. Wow.
After seeing that, I went to the IMDB to see if I could find out about that show, and I also wanted to see when Clerks was released. It was released theatrically on 10/19/94. Looking at the calendar, 10/19/04 is a Tuesday. It would be nice if they could have it ready for that day. Posted Image

#13 of 32 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 20 2004 - 03:38 AM

Man, this is shaping up to be pretty sweet. If it is 3 discs, it could have 2 versions of the movie, the new doc, the pilot and all the bonus material form the initial release.
Posted Image
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#14 of 32 DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 03:43 AM

Kevin always referrs to himself as whoring out merchandise and DVDs and such. If he keeps this sort of thing up, I'll continue to happily be his John.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#15 of 32 Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 05:27 AM

Kevin always referrs to himself as whoring out merchandise and DVDs and such. If he keeps this sort of thing up, I'll continue to happily be his John.

Ditto.

#16 of 32 DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 09:07 AM

Yay! More Kevin Smith!

I, too, also question the use of widescreen framing for Clerks....any word from Kevin Smith on it?
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#17 of 32 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 12:12 PM

I have some info re: this:

I don't know the exact street date, but it WILL be out later this year. I was interviewed in early April (at RST Video, no less) for a new documentary that'll be on the DVD, and supplied the DVD producers with a short reel of Super-8 film of behind-the-scenes footage for use in the doc, as well.

The producer of the DVD (Phil Benson, formerly of Skywalker Sound and co-producer of JERSEY GIRL) told me that a new High-Definition widescreen transfer has done for the release, using the 16mm interpositive as a source (the original DVD was mastered from a 35mm blow-up source), so the new DVD will indeed be anamorphic widescreen. Kevin and cinemtaographer David Klien were given the option of releasing it full-screen, but declined. Both of them prefer the widescreen framing, and the film WAS framed for eventual blow-up to 1.85:1 35mm on set even though it was shot in standard, 1.37:1 16mm. They both feel that the "full-frame" version is too loose with too much headroom, and as I pointed out above, CLERKS was filmed with the idea that it'd eventually be blown up to 1.85:1 35mm from the get-go.

I'm not sure if a new commentary will be recorded or not, but another thing Phil said is that the new DVD will offer not only the original theatrical cut, but they're trying to reconstruct the original longer "film festival" cut from the 16mm trim negatives and include that as well (I'm not sure if the two cuts will be on seperate discs, or offered via seamless-branching, though). I'm pretty sure they also videotaped the Q&A at a screening of CLERKS at the Archlight in Los Angeles last month for inclusion on the disc, too.

Vincent

#18 of 32 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,034 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 20 2004 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for the update, Vincent!

#19 of 32 MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 04:46 AM

Great news!! I wouldnt have a problem owning two copies of Clerks if the original offered something the new one doesn't have.
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#20 of 32 Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 05:17 AM

Vincent,

Thanks for the update.
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow