Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Seal on DVD-A

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted February 13 2004 - 04:07 AM

http://www.musictap.net/index.html

That's great news...I really enjoy that first album, especially "Whirlpool". I think that the other dance tracks should sound real good in high-res as well.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,823 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted February 13 2004 - 11:55 AM

Excellent! I indignantly held off on buying the IV CD because I figured I'd wait/give Warner 6 mos. or so to see if they might announce a DVD-A (there's no shortage of other discs I want to buy) . . . and maybe my 'strategy' paid off. We'll see if they actually make this street date. Thx for the post, Ron! -p

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,823 posts

Posted April 01 2004 - 07:29 PM

So . . . will Warner make the date . . . ? Anyone heard additional news? -p

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 04:12 AM

Circuit City has it up on pre-order for 13.99, with a 4/20 release date. Don't know f this means if it was pushed back a couple weeks or Musictap's date is off. J

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 04:33 AM

Do you know if these releases will be multichannel?
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   John Kotches

John Kotches

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 04:51 AM

Seal will be. Resolution unknown. Cheers,
Surround Music Enthusiast / Curmudgeon in Training
Opinions are my own, not representative of the publication I write for.

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 09:05 AM

It looks like it will only be Seal IV that will be released on 4/20 in DVD-A. I was looking more for his debut album.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,823 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 09:15 AM

Thx for the CC tip, Justin--that's a great price, no? Haven't found it listed at Amazon yet. Here's hoping that it actually shows up in stores next week. -p

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 09:39 AM

Yeah, I generally make most of my Hi-res pre-orders through Circuit City where the prices generally run 12.99-13.99. They also have free shipping on all music orders. J

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,823 posts

Posted April 02 2004 - 01:24 PM

J: Interesting CC site pricing: they seem to be abiding list pricing on Capitol DVD-As like (Empire and Crowded House) which are $24.99, but clearly not comporting with list on Warner and UMG DVD-As and Sony and DSOtM SACDs, which are $13.99. That's $4 less than Amazon. Nice. -p

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,823 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 03:01 PM

Fuggin' work--I didn't make it to Best Buy at lunch today. Did anybody buy, see or get Seal IV delivered today? If not, maybe the 4/20 date is correct . . . -p

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,823 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 05:27 PM

Local Best Buy supposedly got IV DVD-As in earlier in the day but had no more when I went in this evening. Any one get it today? -p

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Jesper

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted April 21 2004 - 07:26 AM

I also want to know some information about this release! Posted Image
Jesper Nielsen

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,823 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 07:47 AM

It would appear--IF the Circuit City site is accurate--that there is also a new CD release of the album that is paired with a DVD?

http://entertainment....odid=WB47947.2

All Music Guide's David Jeffries' review comments include: "Seal IV was reissued in 2004 with a bonus DVD containing the whole album in a spacious 5.1 Surround Sound mix along with three videos."

So I'd surmise that the bonus DVD is the DD down rez of what's hi rez on the DVD-A. I'd hope that the DVD-A also has the same three vids.

Will find out soon and post if someone else hasn't yet done so.

-p

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,823 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 08:35 PM

Unless and until things become clearer to me, I'm going to call this "The 'DualDisc' Disaster."

After a cursory look (Tower was closing) at both the DVD-A and the CD/DVD package, I'm confused. First of all, Circuit City's track listing at the above link for "Disc 2" (the DVD) of the CD/DVD release is wrong. I'm fairly sure the track order is song-for-song identical to the stand-alone CD.

But, at least according to what the back of the CD/DVD package says, my surmise in the second-to-last paragraph of my post above is wrong: the DVD included with the new CD re-release of the album is NOT Dolby Digital. The CD/DVD package says that the DVD includes both Advanced Resolution Stereo and 5.1 tracks.

So it would appear that Warner has included a DVD-A in the new CD/DVD package ($25.99 list) . . . released on the same day as a stand-alone DVD-A ($18.99 list).

Huh?

Why would buyers who want the CD want to pay more to get a DVD-A disc they probably can't play (and if its because of the DD and DTS, why not just buy the cheaper DVD-A, which includes same?)?

Why would buyers who want the DVD-A pay more to get a standard rez CD (to play it in the car?)?

BTW, the three vids are the same on the DVD in the CD/DVD package and on the DVD-A.

In the words of Jon Stewart, "Wwhaaaa?!?"

-p

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted April 22 2004 - 09:17 AM

One for the car and one for home. Or one for my daughter and one for me.Posted Image

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   John Knowles

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 07:09 AM

Has anyone who's picked this up played it in a Pioneer 563a? I keep hearing that some Warner DVD-As don't work...
So turn in your shoes...FOR INDUSTRY!!!

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   raymond caputo

raymond caputo

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 07:19 AM

received mine yesterday...since i am a big fan of seal anyway i really loved it...alot of dvda's actually annoy me with too many effects going on...it takes away from the realism of the performance...this one along with STING,and LUTHER get my vote

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   John Kotches

John Kotches

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 07:23 AM

John, The issue with the Pioneer DV-563A is with a particular authoring tool for discs -- I don't recall which one it was that was causing problems. Cheers,
Surround Music Enthusiast / Curmudgeon in Training
Opinions are my own, not representative of the publication I write for.

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,633 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted April 23 2004 - 09:45 AM

Seems like a good thing to me - a few bucks extra to get high-rez AND a disc I can play in the car and rip to my PC & MP3 player.
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users