What's new

Scariest, Spookiest, will have nightmares for a week DVD!!! (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
This is what I am looking for.
I have quite a horror movie collection. However none of them really freak me out anymore. I NEED HELP!!! I want to find a DVD that will scare my girlfriend and I silly. I have the classics like Halloween collection, Friday the 13th 1-4, Nightmare on Elm Street box set, Exorcist 1 and 3, Omen set, Evil Dead 1-3, Hellraiser Tin as well as many recent creepy ones like Sixth Sense, Stir of Echoes, Scream Collection, Candyman, The Thing etc.
I have tried going to Euro-horror and bought Bava's Black Sunday and Black Sabbath as well as Argento's Deep Red.
Still nothing that gave me the willies.
Can anyone help? Not really looking for gross out movies or just people being hacked but something that will scare me like the Exorcist did 20 years ago, or Blair Witch did when I saw it the first time in a small TV, lights out and too alone for my taste.
Suggestions?

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
well are you looking for a quick abrupt scare...or a movie that is basically scarin ya throughout..
Final Destination is a bit like a Scream type movie with some really quick abrupt unexpected parts (overall I wouldnt call it DEATHLY Scary or anything) but has a good spook factor.
What Lies Beneath Scares the Hell out of all the women in my family (the guys seemed to be so so with it in terms of interest to watch it in the first place. I loved it. They all get the crap scared out of them during the same parts again and again no matter how often they see it.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
The Shining and Jacob's Ladder.
Josh... recommending The Begotten is a cruel, cruel thing to do!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Rosemary's Baby
The Shining
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Kwaidan
Psycho (original only!)
Peeping Tom
Carnival of Souls
It's not on DVD yet, but Robert Wise's The Haunting is the greatest horror movie ever made.

Lafe F

Second Unit
Movies I will not watch alone at night...
The Exorcist III
Black Christmas
The Changeling
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (not on DVD)
Amityville II: The Possession (not on DVD)
Burnt Offerings (not on DVD)

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Definately go with Texas Chainsaw Massacre...it's raw, brutal and unforgiving. This is one movie that will still freak me something awful...really rather wierd, a very simple story, no blood & guts, just very real! I can't watch this alone...maybe it's just me.
Jim

Lannie Lorence

Stunt Coordinator
I will assume you also own Texas Chainsaw Massacre and poltergeist. If not, buy these immediately.
Otherwise, try a semi-recent Japanes film The Ring. Unfortunately, the only English subtitle DVD release is a PAL region 2. If you have the capability to play it, get it. Some moments struck me the wrong way, but overall much scarier than any other recent movie I've seen. There is also a VCD that I think most American players would play, but the quality is, well, VCD.
The last truly great horror film made in my opinion was Cemetary Man. It is on VHS and LD. For DVD, import only. To be honest, it wasn't all that scary; it simply took horror in a new direction I haven't seen before. My friend said it best when he called it "existential horror".
Although you said you tried Deep Red, give Suspiria a chance. It's the other side of Argento and is much different. (my favorite is Opera though).
If you enjoy 80's slasher movies, give My Bloody Valentine a shot. VHS only baby.
Like your horror intellectually artsy? You can't go wrong with Night of the Hunter. Pure cinematic bravado.
I'll also suggest Cannibal Holocaust. Yes it's a gross-out. But a well made one that knows how to use the gross-out to really sucker-punch you. There's a Canadian DVD of it. But there's also a better DVD version on region 2 from EC.
I have to agree with Jack about Begotten. You really have to know someone's tastes to recommend that film. I would have liked it much better at maybe 10 or 15 minutes long. But after 90 minutes (or whatever it is) it just seems to constantly repeat itself. As a side note, I once worked with a director who after figuring out my taste in films, told me he was the gaffer on Begotten. Unfortunately, before I thought about it, I blurted out "That movie didn't look like it had a gaffer." He has not hired me since.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
eek.gif
!! What he said!
------------------
M. Hyde

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Here are the ones that still do it for me:
The Changeling (a classic... should be in everyone's collection)
Prince Of Darkness
In The Mouth Of Madness
Mimic (effective use of sound and shadows)
The Fly (Cronenberg's remake)
What Lies Beneath (retro Hitchcock style, with nice jarring sound cues)

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
Battlefield Earth
biggrin.gif

Oh you know someone had to say it!!
Rosemary's Baby - not "scary" but creepy
Event Horizon
In the Mouth of Madness
Texas Chainsaw Massacre for scares, Texas part 2 for laughs :)
------------------
Crash
"Even if you were right, that would be one plus one plus two plus one, not one plus TWO plus one plus one..."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
Chalk another up for In the Mouth of Madness. What a great flick! That one freaked me out when I first saw it, and that was during the middle of the day!
I can't wait for Nightbreed to hit DVD. I've been looking forward to that one for a while. Is When a Stranger Calls on DVD yet? I'd like to pick that one up too, and I thought the second one wasn't bad either. Guilty pleasure discs I guess
biggrin.gif

Chris
------------------

rhett

Supporting Actor
I have the same problem as your Rolando, horror movies just don't really freak me out like they used to. But give Black Christmas and Texas Chainsaw Massacre a try (although if you have already tried Euro-horror I imagine you have seen a large amount of American horror, so you've probably seen them). Phantasm has some pretty intense scenes, and as far as slashers go, Terror Train offers a nice bleak atmosphere and some eerie parts. Definitely check The Shining if you want to be scared. This was probably the last movie to really frighten me, and I've seen my fair share of horror films. Sleepaway Camp is a pretty tame film, but the ending is really shocking and is bound to at least make you feel a little squeamish. Hope that helps!
------------------
"Why don't we just wait here for a while...see what happens."

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah, Raising Cain kinda freaked me out too
------------------
Crash
"Even if you were right, that would be one plus one plus two plus one, not one plus TWO plus one plus one..."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

ChrisA

Second Unit
What is the deal with "Begotten" ??
Is it worthwhile?
I'm surprized nobody recommended TERROR FIRMER
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks