Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Magnepan Subwoofer suggestions please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Jim.M

Jim.M

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 07:34 AM

Hey guys -
I am going to be ordering the MMG W speakers from Magnepan for my little room. The MMG W apparently will not reach below 100hz, so they really need a subwoofer. My concern is that with the wrong sub I could end up with a big "midbass gap" in there. I was told that large subs would not mate well with small satellite speakers b/c small sats can't go very low and big subwoofers don't do well with higher frequencies (;thus, the gap). I am assuming this would hold with the maggies as well since they, like small sat speakers, do not "go low". I was wondering if you all had any suggestions as to what subwoofer would mate well with these speakers?

Also, where would I set the crossover on my receiver for these speakers? 100hz, 120hz, higher?

Thx,
Jim

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Joe Szott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 07:47 AM

I hear SVS and Maggies make a really nice combo, which size SVS sub is best for your room you'll have to decide for yourself. They are all good subs.

If it claims the speakers do not go below 100 Hz, you want to set the x-over at 120 Hz. A little x-over from sub/satelites is not only ok but desirable to get a smooth transition from low -> high.

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 08:31 AM

I'd try the Rava w/ DPL12 upgrade . Crossover points are easy enough to try, 100-120Hz should work well. That high you want the sub in the same general location as the sats.
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   Jim.M

Jim.M

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys... any other suggestions would be welcomed?

The review of the Rava states:
"It would be best to pair this sub with a large pair of bookshelf speakers or a floor-standing pair, so that you can set the crossover to a frequency around 50 Hz, lessening the boomy effects that occur when you use a frequency up near 100 Hz.
The Rava is not magnetically shielded, so don't put it near your TV."

In my small room placing the sub near the "sats" (maggies in my case) would mean putting it by the TV and since it is not magnetically shielded, that would be a problem. It did mention to look at the Rava SE for better mating with sats... anyone you know had good luck with the SE and small or "bass challenged" speakers? I should also look to see if the SE is shielded if I will need to place it near the fronts and can't hide in the corner.

Thanks again for the input.

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

• 1,127 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 04:42 PM

ACI's Titan come to mind. link. The Force from ACI may work since you say it is a small room. Call ACI and ask them.

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter

• 1,159 posts

Posted February 13 2004 - 01:46 AM

REL would be a good choice.

Also Bag End designs their subs to be crossed over at 90 Hz, so that could be a good option.

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

• 1,127 posts

Posted February 13 2004 - 05:40 AM

REL only goes up to 96hz ACI subs go up to 120hz. Link.

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

• 1,127 posts

Posted February 13 2004 - 06:00 AM

Jim-

I was just reading over on the Hsu forum that 35% of their sales is to ribbon, electro-stat and planar owners. Apparently Dr. Hsu developed his subs to mate with the Quad ELS he owns.

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Jim.M

Jim.M

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted February 13 2004 - 06:31 AM

Awesome Chris!
Thanks for the info. I am going to call Hsu and see what they recommend. I just had a guy tell me over on a planar speaker forum that Dr. Hsu recommended that he go with the STF-3 for his particular room. Your comment is dead on apparently - Dr. Hsu mentioned his own electrostat speakers, etc.

May also save some cash going with an Hsu Posted Image. Thanks again for your help.

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

• 1,127 posts

Posted February 13 2004 - 08:26 AM

You're welcome. Let us know how it turns out.

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit

• 356 posts

Posted February 14 2004 - 01:06 AM

I'd build a pair of dipole subs to match the dipole radiation of the Maggies. Construction is simplicity itself. Much easier than a box sub and the sound is better too.

You could probably work out something that would act as a base for the Maggies which would help lift them to the right height. Win-win.

Cheers

Steve

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Jim.M

Jim.M

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 02:29 AM

Called Hsu and they recommend the STF-2 and setting the crossover to 90hz (the upper limit of the STF-2). They claim the MMG Ws step down from 100hz very subtlety and that they should mate very well. I am still skeptical ab this... the guy who went with the STF-3 with them said he was not happy with the combo. It would seem that since the speakers will get sound below the crossover point, that 90hz is too low for these speakers. If they supposedly only reach to 100hz, then how can they handle 80hz e.g.

Also if what Hsu says about the MMG Ws is correct, then any number of the subs you all suggested should work.

The ACI Force that Chris suggested looks to me to be my best bet... ideal, except for the price tag. Maybe I'll wait till I close a big deal and splurge on that one.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Jim.M

Jim.M

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 02:42 AM

Oh, and thx for the suggestion Stephen. I live in a townhouse at the moment, so I unfortunately have nowhere to build my own - and a 1 year old occupying much of my home time. I would love to give it a go as it seems like something I could really get into. I have a background in sculpture and have used woodworking in my work before. Anyway, those days are gone at least for the near-term. Looks like a great time though.

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

• 1,127 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 04:12 AM

I have a STF-2. My receiver has a set 100hz crossover. When I do a frenquency sweep on the Avia set-up disc there is no hole between 100-90hz which I too feared. My speakers will go down to 70 but I have them set to small and hence the 100hz crossover point.

The only thing I can think of is order one and do a frequency sweep with a sound meter and see if you get any holes. BTW- CompUsa carries this sub($349-399). Beware if you return it to them CompUSA charges a 15% restock on open box items. Also, you'd only have 14 days to return to CompUSA.

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 08:22 AM

I suggest checking out a Rocket UFW-10. Those that have compared them to SVS subs indicate that the UFW-10 is a bit tighter and more musical which would be a better match for Maggies, the SVS producing better lows and volumes. I'm considering getting one myself for my Maggies. I'm keeping my SVS in the HT with the rest of the Rockets.

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 09:25 AM

That Rocket might be worth it for looks alone!
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 09:58 AM

I’ll second Alex’s suggestion of the UFW-10. I have one in rosewood and it looks stunning. I’m not sure that I’m recalling correctly, but I believe that one of the guys at AV123 told me that the sub would do OK up to around 150 Hz.

You might want to check with one of them (Sean, Steve or Greg) and confirm.

While the UFW-10 would not be my choice for a large room, nor do I think that it is the choice for those who are interested in a lot of pressure from their sub, it will do very well in small to mid-sized rooms and should easily handle reference levels (assuming a non-hot sub calibration). I have mine in a room just a little under 3,000 cu ft (with good-sized openings on one end) and it does very well. I have it calibrated about 3 dB hot.

This is probably a better sub for music than HT.

OTOH, most of the other suggestions are very fine—especially the ones from ACI.
¡Time is not my master!

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Mitch_J

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 03:06 PM

Jim,
I'm probably biased. But, I'm also considering the MMG W and MMG C as my next speaker purchase. I just picked up the S-12 from Aperion. It's had great reviews and so far I like it alot. Also they have a $100 off if you order it in the cherry color. At least they did last week. Good luck with your purchase and please keep us informed on the MMG W and MMG C.

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter

• 1,254 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 11:04 PM

I just placed an order for a SVS PC-Ultra to replace my Paradigm PW-2200 in my all Magnepan system.
MG1.6/QR (fronts)
MGMC1 (surrounds)
MGCC3 (center)

Can't wait to hear this combo!!
SLEEPY AL
MAGGIE MAGIC!!

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   David*RT

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 04:29 PM

I can't believe that ACI (www.audioc.com) hasn't received more mentions.

They are sealed and go low. They're are universally acclaimed to be a musical sub for ribbon speakers.

They have been reviewed as being as good or better than REL subs (my other recommendation) at a CHEAPER price! Posted Image