Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Is Triplettes of Belleville subtitled or dubber?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 05:10 AM

Going to see it tomorrow, the title says it all. Edit-I meant to say dubbed not dubber, oops.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor

• 515 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 05:12 AM

The print I saw was neither. There is no dialog from the characters on screen. The only talk comes from the commentators during the Tour so it really doesn't matter. Very much like Tati's films.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 05:13 AM

hm, interesting. I don't know much about the film but the trailer is gorgeous and I am very excited to see it.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 05:45 AM

The print I saw back at the Boston Film Festival in September was neither until the very last line, which appeared to be dubbed in English. There is some French dialogue, but it is completely unnecessary - this is an entirely visual film, part of what makes it so amazing.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   John Thomas

John Thomas

• 2,637 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 07:25 AM

There is a small, small bit at the beginning which is subtitled. Thought it was a cute jab.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

• 1,851 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 08:01 AM

I'm also seeing it this weekend. A friend of mine saw it a few weeks ago and said it was fantastic, but it's not opening in my area until tomorrow.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 03:17 PM

Yeah same with me. Those academy award nominations certainly helped it. I'm hoping that the same happens for City of God because I am dying to see it.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

• 4,769 posts

Posted February 13 2004 - 07:41 AM

Believe it or not, it's already been on Brit TV (it was about the only thing worth watching over Christmas) and been repeated a couple of times on one of the BBC's digital satellite channels. It's perfectly easy to follow without knowing a word of French (but if you've got a basic schoolchild level of knowledge of the language you'll be able to pick up a lot of what little is said/written).

It's certainly worth watching, but don't necessarily expect to find it full of belly laughs.

It's also due out on DVD on 17th Feb (at least in R2). See e.g. http://www3.cd-wow.com. (if it's not on this page, just use the search engine).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users