What's new

Cats & Dogs...All I saw was FULL SCREEN!.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I visited 3 stores (Kmart,Wiz & a Sam Goody). Although, they were not selling them yet. I did see them getting ready to put them out. All I saw was the full screen version. I hope this is not some sort of trend where they release tons of pan & scams thereby making people who won't ask get them.

John DeLuca

Stunt Coordinator
I went to a local place by me that has it also but all he had was the full screen version also. I asked him if he had the Widescreen version in stock and he said his distributor only offered the full screen version. Luckily, he found another distributor that had the Widescreen and he special ordered it for me. It looks as if certain distributors are only carrying the full screen version.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Why does that not surprise me?
rolleyes.gif

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
This is ridiculous- Warner can make DVD-18s, so why didn't they use them for this if they needed to in order to have BOTH versions on ONE disc???
Just watch the sales figures show the pan and scan version outselling the widescreen just because more stores are stocking it. And STOP calling it "FULL SCREEN"!!!!!! ;(

John DeLuca

Stunt Coordinator
Easy there Jesse. The only reason I said full screen is because that's what it says on the DVD case.

Margo

Agent
I called DVDEmpire today to find out why my order for this week hadn't shipped yet and was informed that they haven't gotten the Widescreen version of Cats & Dogs yet. Perhaps the widescreen version is going to arrive at some retailers later than the Pan and Scan version?
[Edited last by Margo on October 15, 2001 at 09:46 PM]

Robert George

Screenwriter
It should be pointed out that this was originally intended to be a fullscreen-only release. It was only after the very negative feedback Warner got from the Willy Wonka thing that they added a widescreen version. I suspect the fullscreen version was much farther along in production. Also, the original preorder announcement was only for the fullscreen version, which is what most wholesalers had ordered before Warner announced the widescreen version.

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know whether this disc (the widescreen one) is worth it? I didn't see it in the theaters but it looks pretty funny.

Luis A

Second Unit
Well, I plan on buying the widescreen version of course if just to up the sales. My kids have been begging for this title, and my 7 yr old knows not to buy P&S (although she did buy the original Pokemon movie) after some educaton on it. IMO P&S belongs on VHS not DVD.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I went to a local place by me that has it also but all he had was the full screen version also. I asked him if he had the Widescreen version in stock and he said his distributor only offered the full screen version.
What do you bet that either the order was placed or the catalog (or whateve source) used to place the order from where pre-widescreen-edition-announcement?
I'm hoping Best Buy has the OAR version in-stock today, so I can grab it along with Star Wars. Their sales flyer depicts the original cover, with no indicator of Full or Wide Screen. But I'm sure that BB's marketing guys used the old demo box they were sent a while ago.
Same probably happenned with this other retailer's order. Going on old info, pre-2-version-availability.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
This is ridiculous- Warner can make DVD-18s, so why didn't they use them for this if they needed to in order to have BOTH versions on ONE disc???
I agree 100%. When are the studios agoing to start taking advantage of DVD's capabilities? The Mummy Returns could have been a DVD-18 as well, and then people who wanted to rent it could be happy.
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just spoke to someone a BJ's Wholesale club. They said they got two boxes of Cats & Dogs. Both are Pan & Scam!!! I really hope someone brings this up with Warner tonight. This is really going to screw up the sales ration between widescreen and pan & scam.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
QUOTE:
"Just spoke to someone a BJ's Wholesale club. They said they got two boxes of Cats & Dogs. Both are Pan & Scam!!! I really hope someone brings this up with Warner tonight. This is really going to screw up the sales ration between widescreen and pan & scam."
END QUOTE
Which is exactly what studios like Warner want. Then they can point their fingers at the sales chart as a defense from critics like us and say "Look people prefer full screen rather than Widescreen".

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
OK, everyone, take a deep breath and re-read Robert George's post earlier in this thread.
Repeat as necessary.
There's a very simple and practical reason why the widescreen version is arriving at retailers slightly behind the P&S. Today's the street date. Within a day or two, inventories will be balanced out.
I remember the same Chicken Little attitude when Silence of the Lambs came out in dual versions. It was a false alarm then, and it's a false alarm now.
M.

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
I posted in the Mummy Returns: The end of rental OAR thread last week that all the copies of Cats and Dogs that we got at Hollywood video were fullscreen. I suspect that will be the case for most rental places you see.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
For this title Warner decided to go back and create a separate widescreen version, but unlike WONKA they did not give it a different (later) release date. However, it is apparent that the widescreen version hasn't yet made it to retailers.
Look at Amazon - the widescreen version says "ships in 1 to 2 weeks." At DVD Planet both versions show today (10/16/2001) as the release date, but the widescreen is still listed as a "preorder" (it's still at 30% discount, unlike the fullscreen version which is now only 25% discount). At DVD Empire it's listed as "On Order."
Because of this confusion I think it may be difficult to find a widescreen version for rent anywhere - the rental places probably won't bother to get them after they already have the fullscreen one.

DarrenA

Second Unit
I'm hoping Best Buy has the OAR version in-stock today, so I can grab it along with Star Wars.
Well, I was at my local Best Buy this morning before they opened. Their were approx. ~70-80 people waiting to get in to get the Star Wars DVD. I looked around and all I saw was the (labeled "FULLSCREEN") version of Cats & Dogs. I must assume that like the other stores that they just have not received the Widescreen version yet.
------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater

Shane Bass

Grip
I agree with everybody that it will be really difficult to find the widescreen version today. I visited 10 stores this morning looking for the widescreen version and all that I saw were "full screen" versions. I did ask the employees about the widescreen version and 8 out of the 10 said that Warner did not make a widescreen version for this movie while 2 stated very truthfully that they were expecting the widescreen shipment a few days from now. I was really looking forward to getting this movie for my son today, but I guess that I will have to wait a few more days. I'll have to keep him interested by watching the Phantom Menace lightsaber duel. At 14 months, he loves it!

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Just thought I'd chime in.
I have 3 local video stores, non-chain outlets (in other words, no Blockbuster close-by.)
2 stores only had the pan & scan version. When I asked why 1 said their distibutor didn't even ask which versio he wanted, the other said her distributor said they only had the full screen.
The 3rd store? Didn't get any copies at all.
------------------
My DVD collection--> http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/DVD_Collection.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks