What's new

Yamaha rxv 1400 ypao (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys whats up I am looking to buy a yamaha rxv1400 and I have heard mixed reviews abou tthe ypao. Soem say it helps while other say that it has made there speakers sound worse. Some say it tomes down the mid range. Also I heard it has a eq for each speaker. Some have said its horrible and some have to turn off the eq for a better sound.
Me myself I have a 15x12 room with some bad accosutics. I have 12 foot ceilings and my room sounds echoey and bright. I just bought paradigm mini monitors a cc370 and atoms for rears. So my question is if i buy this yamaha do i use the ypao or do i manually set up my speakers. Will this receiver make my speakers way to bright. My choice was between this receiver and the denon 2803

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I liked it. Yeah it took a couple tries to get it right. But I think it helps. It got my distances right and everything.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
why a couple of tries. Also how does it know what distance your sittign from rear and front. Also how is the eq for each speaker some has said its not to good and soem have said the ypao has not done a very good job

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question I have been hearing on some threads some concerns about the yamaha not outputting the watts it states it does per channel. Is this ture. Does this only happen in 7.1 or does it happen in 5.1 as well. If this is true I fell most consumers shoudl know about this. Does it really do 120 watts per 7 channels

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I looked up the information on this receiver. They did rate it based on full bandwidth, but they may not have been driving all 7 channels at the same time. Even so, I think it should be fairly close. The thing to lookout for is when the amps are rated @1KHz instead of 20Hz-20KHz. Without using it personally it's impossible to say for sure, but I'd guess it's probably good for at least 85 or 90 with all channels driven.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
I can't say whether or not it achieves its rated power per channel, but I do know that it's listed at 110W per channel, not 120...that'd be the 2400 :)

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
ok so if i run 5 channles only and not the 7 will i achieve more watts and closer to the 110 watts per channel. How pwerfull is this receiver does it push more watts then the denon 2803. I dotn mean on paper i mean if you actually listen to it. Will the denon go as high as the yamaha 1400.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
As Ed Moxley notes, few recent vintage receivers push as much as they are advertised at. Apparently they are allowed to list the number of channels driven along with the actual power output for just one channel. Certainly misleading but for the most part, they all do it.

In the January Home Theater magazine, the RX-V2400 was tested and measured. With 7 channels driven into 8 ohms, it was 36.9 watts per channel at 1% distortion.

While this is clearly quite different from it's rating in the owner's manual, it's only approx 3 db less output than a unit at 80 watts per channel would be.

IMO, don't get too hung up on watts per channel. Make your purchase based on quality, features, user friendliness and if you can hear a beneficial difference between the models you are comparing (I've been around audio receivers for over 20 years and good units really don't sound a great deal different to me. I always chuckle when I read how units are sooo much warmer than others and so forth.)

IOW, buy what you want...

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I have to wonder WHY "paper" numbers are a surprise to anyone !!! AND, why someone would think that they are gonna NEED ALL CHANNELS DRIVEN .....?? Rarely(if ever) does a source require all channels be driven to deliver it's material......
Anyway, this thread seems to be a Yamaha bash....

As an above poster stated, buy because of features........ but you're gonna be sadly disappointed if you buy (or don't buy) because of some magazines misleading reviews. They are simply NOT real world......

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I don't see where the Yamaha bashing is happening here. Just a few individuals are discussing the power outputs. Now, if you want to see some serious bashing, check out a Bose thread.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
The RX-V1400 and RX-V2400 have plenty of power - just go listen to one powering some hungry towers and you'll know what I'm talking about. I'm powering JBL S310IIs set to large, in a 6.1 setup and I haven't noticed any power drop-out. The receiver has tons of power, even at REF level volumes.

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
I remember one thread simplifying this thought for me. It is true that the receiver probably does not output the true wattage when all channels are driven at full level and full range at the same time, but when would you ask your receiver to do this? Running full level pink noise through all channels is a great test in the lab, but does it really correlate to the listening we do at home? I am new to this and I won't claim to be any type of expert. This is just how I justified these findings in my mind.

I will suggest what I have been told over and over again. Take it home and hook it up. If you like it and it moves you, then you have exactly what you need. If it sucks, then take it back and try something else. What works for some doesn't work for all and vice versa. That's all part of the fun. I spent 3 hours last night with my friends listening to my setup, rearranging the room and settings till I found a better sound. It was great! If it all worked out great, we wouldn't have anything to talk about and we would be bored at work all day. ;)

Michael

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
All channels driven is very important if you are using multi channle formats like DVD-S/SACD or you watch a lot of concert DVD's.

Higher power ratings (real ratings) also let you have more detail specifically at lower volumes. Many receivers need to be cranked to get any detail and many more distort before they can even reveal the detail.

Power is very important IMHO but it really depends on what you use your gear for.

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
>good units really don't sound a great deal different to me. <
I agree. I can never hear the difference between two respectable receivers driving average loads.

>I always chuckle when I read how units are sooo much warmer than others and so forth.) <

It maybe just our human nature to categorize items. We are all into HT here and thus in order to get a handle on the topic we group. Yams are bright, H/K is warm but watch out for reliability, Marantz warm but no power, Bose is the best.......

Bob

Doug_H

Supporting Actor

While I agree that references to warm or bright is subjective and really doesn't say much. There are very different sounds depending on your speaker and receiver combination. All amps do not sound the same.

I higher power amp will give you more depth in bass and greater detail in many cases but it requires a stout power supply. If your speakers are not capable of revealing these differences then all amps will sound more or less the same.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend. there is a point of diminished returns and I don't know what that point is. Most of us have very nice systems and speakers but fewer of us have the luxury in our rooms for many reasons to have perfect placement of speakers, ETC. This means quite simply that you are going to have a hard time judging differences.

I don't have a THX certified room but I am lucky enough to get almost perfect placemnet in my new home. The difference is astonishing. This led me to looking at upgrades for amps and while a few months ago I would have said it doesn't matter I now believe it does. I can hear a difference where I couldn't before.

This is my opinion only however.

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
If you want power in a midline reciever, the Pioneer Elite 45/53/55Tx are good choices. Among the exceedingly rare in the price range to deliver nearly the same power for 1 channel as 5 channels.

However with only 4 digital inputs in the back (other than i-link or usb)...there are limitations on connections.

You do have to ask yourself, how much power do I need? What are my listening habits, and more important, what type of speakers and room is this for?

Doubling the power only increases the SPL by 3 dB, which depending on the distance from the speaker can be only a couple feet, also the efficiency of the speakers used makes a huge difference.

Usually, if you are picking up a receiver, you will have many more considerations on just how much power it can produce. Of course more clean power on tap is always a good thing :)

And Doug_H is right on about the placement. Getting proper placement and setup/calibration will do more than spending more. You can easily spend 3 or 5 times more $$ and not get the improvement a big as proper set up and calibration.

BrentG

Stunt Coordinator
Well this is too deep for me but, I have a V2400 running a 6.1 set-up. And running in 7 channel stero mode is has ear bleeding power with no distortion that I can here, I have had it over refrence levels many times. I assume in 7 channel mode all speakers are getting pretty much equall power.

And the bottom line is if it sounds good don't worry about the numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread