Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

All In The Family Subtitles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Antonio Silva

Antonio Silva

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted February 11 2004 - 01:03 PM

Hello,

I've checked several reviews but i want to make sure before i order these sets:

Do they include English subtitles? If so, are they Closed Captions, Open Captions or regular subtitles?

Thank you Posted Image
Dimebag Darrell
1966 - 2004
Rest In Peace

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted February 11 2004 - 01:32 PM

Both the season 1 and season 2 sets include English Subtitles, English CC, and Spanish Subtitles.

And just FYI, HTF has a new forum devoted just to TV-on-DVD (located just below this one in the pull-down menu), so you should post all TV-on-DVD related questions/comments in that forum from now on. And this thread will probably get moved there, as well.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Antonio Silva

Antonio Silva

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 12:52 AM

Thanks Scott,

The strange thing is that i'm aware that there is now a new forum devoted just to TV-on-DVD, and i was convinced that i had posted there. My mistake, sorry.:b
Dimebag Darrell
1966 - 2004
Rest In Peace

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,501 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 05:02 AM

Quote:
are they Closed Captions, Open Captions or regular subtitles?

What's the difference between the three???

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Chris:L

Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 06:27 AM

yeah... wha'ts the difference between the three?

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Antonio Silva

Antonio Silva

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 06:31 AM

Quote:
What's the difference between the three???

EricSchulz,

I'm no authority on the matter and i'm sure someone here will be able to explain it better, but as far as i know:

Closed Captions
Subtitle system used in the USA in which the subtitles are displayed using a decoder. All televisions in the USA have one built-in (which i believe is required by law). I still haven't found a way to display them in Europe. I can only display them in my Pc. Someone once told me it was possible using a projector, but i don't have one yet, so i can't confirm this.

Open Captions
Open captions are like regular subtitles, but indicate the action occuring on the screen (ie. door opens, bell rings, etc.)

Regular Subtitles
Normal subtitles.

If i'm talking rubbish, please correct me.

The reason why i'm often asking if a dvd has English subtitles and what kind of subtitles are they, is because i need them. I can watch and follow a film or a tv show without subtitles, but some of them are harder. Films with lots of background noise for example or shows like The Sopranos are a bit more tricky for me.

I can check out the reviews but sometimes (most of the times), the reviewers only list English subtitles. I'm left wondering if they are Closed Captions or not. And because i can't display them, i need to know beforehand.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Posted Image
Dimebag Darrell
1966 - 2004
Rest In Peace

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Chris:L

Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 09:46 AM

Closed Caption for the Hearing Impaired.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 10:42 AM

Quote:
Subtitle system used in the USA in which the subtitles are displayed using a decoder. All televisions in the USA have one built-in (which i believe is required by law).

That's news to me.
My last two pre-HDTV sets had no captioning feature.
Is it some new-fangled "law" for US sets?? Never heard of this before.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 10:59 AM

António, captions are stores in one of the lines in the NTSC signal, so that's why you can't see them on your PAL TV.

David, I think all TVs 13" and up made after a certain date need to have CC built in. I don't know where I read that.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted February 12 2004 - 11:08 AM

OK. Thanks Gord. Makes sense.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Derek Jagt

Derek Jagt

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted February 13 2004 - 04:40 AM

Not exactly, António Silva about open caption.

Quote:
The Rear Window Captioning System displays reversed captions on a light-emitting diode (LED) text display which is mounted in the rear of a theater. Patrons use transparent acrylic panels attached to their seats to reflect the captions so that they appear superimposed on or beneath the movie screen. The reflective panels are portable and adjustable, enabling the caption user to sit anywhere in the theater.

Quote:
How do Rear Window captions differ from open captions?
Open captions are similar to subtitles. They are "burned" onto the film and visible to everyone in the theater. To provide open captions, it is necessary for studios to create and for exhibitors to obtain a special print of the film. Open-captioned films are generally presented at special screenings.

The Rear Window system is a way of providing closed captions. The captions are not on the film itself, so there is no need for a special print. The captions are on a floppy disk or CD that plays in synchronization with the film. The captions are visible (via a reflector) to only those patrons who choose to see them. The captions are available during regular scheduled presentations, for as long as the film plays in the theater.

from ncam.wgbh.org/mopix/

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow