What's new

The PS2/Xbox TVonDVD Incompatibility Topic (1 Viewer)

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
Recently bought a televison series on DVD only to find that it would not play on your Playstation2 or Xbox gaming system? I've heard complaints from many people about many different series having problems, and I can't seem to find a common series that is having problems. Could it be it is just our systems that are wearing out, or is it the drivers, which have always had problems?

The two series I noticed that won't play on my home Playstation2 are Angel - Season Two, and Angel - Season Three. Season 2 plays half of the episode, freezes, and says disc read error. Season Three won't play at all.

Anyone else experiencing problems like these with any TV Show on DVD?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I played a couple of Buffy episodes on my PS2 when I got it. The quality was terrible, so I stopped. I'd get digital noise, overly black video, and stutterring.
It's better to have a stand alone DVD player and leave the gaming system to the games.

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
I'm beginning to agree. I think I might just buy a second stand alone player for my basement, something cheap. Best Buy is having a DVD Player sale, so I'll get one for around $50. That's what I payed for my other player, and it works like a beauty. :)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I prefer to use the stand alone for the obvious reasons but I have come across these couple.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Volume 1, disc 1 will not play at all on my Xbox, plays fine on every other player in the world that I've used though.

M*A*S*H season 5, disc 3 also does not play on my Xbox, but does on the stand alones.

Sometimes, I have to perform a sacred dance to get the Family Guy set to play on the Xbox also.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I've found that the PS2 is highly susceptible to dust issues. I regularly clean the lens with a lens cleaner, and I've been able to ward off or get rid of any disc read errors.

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
I had some trouble with the first couple episodes of R4 Buffy season two on my PAL XBOX. I realise the XBOX can't output progressive video (nor do I have a tv that accepts it), but the problem was similar to what I've seen referred to as 'combing'.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Do you have the latest DVD drivers for the PS2? I've never had a problem playing any disc from my collection.

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
Me neither. In fact since i watch dvd's in my room late at night and the only way to do that quietly is the ps2. It works great I must watch a dvd a night before i drift off to sleep. It looks just like regular non-hd tv too. Some Buffys I had to make the picture really bright but that's with every tv I've watched Buffy dvd's on.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator

That is what gets me... why not? They can get games to be progressive... Why didn't they carry over that function to DVD playback as well.... Strange...

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
On the Xbox, I had trouble with just about every disc in the M*A*S*H Season 5, even though I eventually got them all to work (I also did the magic dance). That was very frustrating, since the other sets worked OK... Also, ER and West Wing refuses to play...

Rodrick

Second Unit
I have a Xbox that plays them all beautifully. I use it now only for a DVD player, cause the system is crappy if you don't have Xbox live. I sold all my games but kept the system for a DVD player.

Don't waste your money on an Xbox or Playstation 2. Buy portable gaming systems. The best tvgame systems are non cause none use cartridge based games anymore.
Atari 2600 RULED, Gameboy Ad SP, Sega Nomad, and soon to be released the portable playstation rule. Tv game systems ruins your tvs.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Huh? Playing games on a TV can cause burn-in, but no worse than letterboxed movies. Modern CRTs handle this pretty well.

And Rodrick, how old are you? You know about Sega Nomad, but your writing style suggests you're way too young to have heard of it.

Marc Bax

Second Unit

I'll take a toke of whatever you're smoking. Oh and the soon to be released but already judged by you to rule PSP doesn't use cartridges, hence it should suck. Right?

Rodrick

Second Unit
Yes, and no. They do use media discs but enclosed inside a case about 2.5 inches looks like a smaller floppy disc from computers, so you don't handle the disc just has a small opening. They should have done that with all DVD/Cd's like those mini disc's you buy for mini disc players. So you don't handle them. Or get scratched so easily.

I have in my collection of portable gaming systems
Gameboy(original, pocket,color,advance,sp)
Atari Lynx
Sega Nomad
Sega Game Gear
Turboexpress
I had a Vectrex and Microvision but pawned it off.

what you want a/s/l now too. Well I'll just say Im born in 1967. Im in my mid 30's. My Microvision was brand new Xmas of 75 it played pong, neat to play pong on the road, in those days.

Desperately want to get rid of my Atari Lynx, GameGear, and 4 of my gameboys. All with boxes and instructions.
To make way for the PSP and DS.

Rodrick

Second Unit
As for why you can't get your shows to work properly. Are they region 1 and play in our continent? I checked the boxes of both Ps2 Xbox and says it plays all of those with a region 1 setting. Even cd/dvd-r's too.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I have only regularly watched DVDs on my GameCube, but I recently bought a new DVD player that is pretty good. The GameCube P-Q plays DVDs pretty well, definately better than the other two but I did have a problem with Doctor Who Tomb of the Cybermen on it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I just recently bought an x-box (I'm not "live" but I'm having a blast with it anyway, sorry Rodrick.) Is the concensses than that the dvd add on is worth it? I never planned on watching movies with it, but I'm going to be out of town for a 3 weeks on training, and thought I'd take the X-box with me to lpay in the hotel. It would be a bonus to bring some tv-dvd with me to watch as well.

Titles under consideration:
Spiderman 67
Batman Animated
Challange of the superfriends
southpark season 3 and 4
Family guy 2
hoimicide 4.

Anyone know of any problems with these?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Xbox has a reliable player. To my knowledge, the only DVDs it has problems with are Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and Angel Season 3. On the latter, some menus don't draw correctly, but just hit enter again and the episode will start playing.

Marc Bax

Second Unit

Damn right. Even though I'm a Live member I play offline far more then online. To dismiss the Xbox because it's not a cartridge based system (LOL that would suck) and worries that it'll somehow kill your television, is plain stupid in my book. Online or not the Xbox is a great system and IMO the best of the consoles currently on the market. And it works great as a 2nd (or 3rd in my case) DVD player. I would recommend a stand alone DVD player though just because they're much cheaper and it'll prolong the life of your Xbox (especially with the Thompson DVD drive systems).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks