What's new

where do you buy your DVD's at? (1 Viewer)

TomRiddle

Auditioning
aka where do you normally go to get your dvd's?
bestbuy? j-and-r? circuitcity?

i'm looking for user-comments on trusted dvd sources with aggressive pricing..

:b i have netflix so i don't normally buy dvd's much.. just the special ones

right now i'm looking to buy
LOTR TTT EXTENDED, Finding Nemo (i want my own copy ;) ) maybe some superbit edition of films, Kill Bill, etc etc..

so where do you guys go to find cheaply priced dvd's? o_O

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
I'm fortunate to live in Carmel, Indiana, the home town of The Laser's Edge. They generally sell everything at 25% off the retail price (sometimes 20% off). I buy most of my DVD's there, but sometimes venture over to Best Buy (where they sell $15 DVD's for $10) and Borders. I don't bother with Barnes & Noble or Suncoast or Fye as they generally sell full price.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I use Amazon and DeepDiscountDVD almost exclusively. You can't beat Amazon's overall selection, shipping, packing, service, etc. And DDD often has very low, hard-to-pass-up prices on catalog titles.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I usually go to:

Walmart
Fred Meyer
Hastings
Circuit City
Best Buy
ShopKo
Blockbuster

In that order too.

If I have to order online, I'll do it through Amazon.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I usually buy at Future Shop, but titles like Finding Nemo are in such abundant supply as PV for 10 bucks or less; that you could find it at most video stores.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Usually I buy from a local shop, IE not a chain store. I do also like Amazon, and DeepdiscountDVD.com and on occasion buy.com

Bob_Bo

Agent
I try to buy new releases on release tuesday at Best Buy and take advantage of the sale prices.

Older and more obscure titles I use Amazon and DeepDiscountDVD.

Of course, it's hard to pass up the bargain bin at Walmart.:)

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
I too use Release Tuesday prices at Walmart or Best Buy. If I am in the mood I will price match at CC to recieve an additional little discount.

Older titles and such, I use a price search or Ebay.

Ray

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
Probably
65% dvdempire.com
34% Best buy
0.5% Amazon
0.5% Circuit city
Over the last year or so...just a guess...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I use Deep Discount DVD, Amazon.com and CDUniverse depending on the title.

CDUniverse had the best price for the Lon Chaney 2-disc set from Warner, while Amazon.com had the best price for Warner's Halloween 2003 wave (The Haunting, The Thing, and House of Wax/Mystery of the Wax Museum). DDD had the best prices for the Erich Von Stroheim discs from Kino. (These are just examples... so far, I haven't purchased anything further from DDD or CDU.) I've purchased from Movies Unlimited twice (two of the Wave 1 Disney Treasues) a few years ago.

I tend to prefer amazon.com though. Recently, I made a purchase on Feb. 3rd (Artisan's Captain Marvel DVD, Warner's Jekyll/Hyde double feature, and a Raymond Scott album) that made it to my house on the 6th.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, that's nothing. I just had two DVDs arrive, with Free Shipping, mind you, next day. But usually all my Free Shipping items take 3 days.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
The best DVD source I've found to be is Best Buy. Not once have I complained about a DVD I've bought from there.

Secondary Choices are usually:
(In Canada) Future Shop
(In Canada) Music World (Don't like their DVD organization)
Wal-Mart (Don't like thier DVD organization)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I usually get my DVDs from Best Nuy or Wal-Mart. Sometimes I'll get them from Suncoast, Newbury Comics, or BJ's.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Let's see....
B&M's most to least visited:
Best Buy
Media Play
Borders
WalMart
Circuit City
FYE

Online:
Amazon.com
DeepDiscountDVD.com
HKFlix.com
DDDHouse.com
Amazon.co.uk

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I check the prices on release Tuesday between Best Buy (first choice), Target and Wal-Mart. Occassionally Target and Wal-Mart will be a little cheaper than Best Buy. For the most part, when you buy DVDs the first week, Best Buy has the best prices.

I would buy my DVDs online from Amazon or DeepDiscount, but I'm just too impatient. When I've parted with my money, I want what I paid for right then.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
Deep Discount
Costco
Wal Mart
www.digitaleyes.net will have great deals on Criterion titles sometimes. They always heve the best deals on the MST3K box sets. They have never messed up any order with me, or taken too long to ship anything before. I probably trust them the most out of the online dvd sites. They have this award points system for every dollar you spend on their site. Check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks