What's new

For Those Who Want A Richard Donner Re-Cut of Superman II (1 Viewer)

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
In the recent chat with Warner Brothers, I asked a question regarding the possibility of having “Superman II” released in the form of a Richard Donner re-cut.
I ask everyone to take a look at the post I made in Studio and Manufacturer Feedback Section regarding this.
Please click on the below link and vote there. Let your voice be heard!
Thanks
Tom
------------------
Please vote for a Richard Donner Re-Cut of Superman II
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/003753.html
[Edited last by Tom B on October 18, 2001 at 05:36 PM]

Shane Bass

Grip
Hey Tom! I completely agree with you on this issue. A Donner edition would be great! I have tried to reply on your topic, but it said that there was an internal server error. I'll keep trying and post a reply in that forum once the server error is gone. Thanks for spearheading this issue for so many of us who would love to see Superman II as it was originally intended!

Brad M

Second Unit
Is this something that is even possibe? He did not film an entire version of the movie did he? From what I heard he only filmed certain scenes during filming the first movie. I would like to see it, but wouldn't it be a slap in the face to the guy who directed the movie?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
not really, since most people prefer Richard Donner over Richard lester.. lester is the one who directed Superman 3.
JACOB

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Brad,
Head over to my petition thread and read for yourself. Richard Donner directed the majority of "Superman II". I urge any of you who are unfamiliar with the production problems of "Superman II" to head over to my petition thread for more info. Superman Cinema provides the most detailed information on "Superman II". You can check it out here:
http://www.deceptions.net/superman/
Tom
------------------
[Edited last by Tom B on October 18, 2001 at 01:23 PM]

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Hey guys,
I appreciate the interest, but please follow my link to the petition thread and voice your interest there.
This thread exists mainly to let you guys know that the petition exists in the Studio and Manufacturer Feedback Section.
I would like to keep this thread mainly as a gateway to the petition as well as for off topic (non petition) "Superman II" discussion. Please feel free to post here, but just make sure you voice your opinion in the petition thread as well, that is most important.
Warner will be reading the petition in the Studio and Manufacturer Feedback section, and every vote counts!
Just follow the link below and let your voice be heard!
Thanks,
Tom
------------------

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I would really like to see Donner's vision of the movie. Perhaps they can do a re-edit with Lester's permission to combine both their cuts into one.
One thing though...isn't the existing S II 85% of Donner's original filming with only a small percent of Lester footage?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Donner's version would be interesting, if only to point up that Lester's contributions probably made it a more entertaining movie, unlike the bloated and tedious Superman I. I'd frankly rather have a restored Superman II than a Donner version or the beat-up version that WB churned out.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see Donner's SUPERMAN II,especially the Marlon Brando footage. I think it would make a very good film(I love SUPERMAN II regardless of it's flaws) into a great film.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Mark:
I think if you read what happened on superman 2.. you would understand it much better. did ever see the tv version.. they added a bunch of footage.. including alot more of Donner;s.
JACOB

Brad M

Second Unit
Wow. That's some cool information. I knew he had filmed some but that was wild. I agree with the "small" town. It looked pretty bad. Thanks for pointing all that out.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I've been trying to post a reply in the "vote" thread, but all I get is a server error. A restoration of Richard Donner's vision would be a dream come true for me.
Yes, in some ways, "Superman II" is more enteraining than the original film, but it is also less stylish, less well-crafted, less mature, more hokey, and just plain silly at times. You've got intellectual verbal humor (Superman) versus cheap slapstick (Superman II and III). I'll take the former any day.
[Edited last by Brian W. on October 18, 2001 at 09:09 PM]

Gilbert Galindo

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in buddy. I think Warner should have made this a Special DVD as well. I think Superman 2 is just as good as part one. The DVD for part 2 is crap.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
not really, since most people prefer Richard Donner over Richard lester.. lester is the one who directed Superman 3.
I hated Superman 3 as well, but doesn't the guy who directed A Hard Day's Night - arguably one of the best films of all-time - deserve a tad bit of respect?
= Derek =

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
but it seems that Richard Lester has no respect for Superman unlike Richard Donner..
If superman the movie had failed.. Donner says that the salkinds probably would of made him finish making superman 2.
JAOCB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks