What's new

The Godfather transfer (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
With apologies to Ron for double posting...
I've just completed viewing the new DVD of The Godfather.
After reading the negative responses from this group, I was expecting the worst.
Understanding that reproduction results can vary from player to player, I'm seeing no problems whatsoever on my playback equipment.
The look, the texture, the color palette of the original dye transfer prints are, IMHO, beautifully reproduced by Paramount for this video release.
Even problems which I have seen on film elements have been made transparent via this transfer.
Other than an occasional speckling of minus density (negative dirt which prints as clear - white - on prints), a norm on negatives which have been mistreated and overly printed, I see no problems.
A beautiful transfer which properly represents the film.
RAH

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks Robert.
That's all I neede to hear. Should be receiving my paisans in a couple of days.
Auguri! :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

bill lopez

Second Unit
If this is a beautiful transfer, I wonder what you would call NORTH BY NORTHWEST dvd's transfer. It's not in the same league.

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the DVD transfers of Godfather I and II are beautiful, but Part III is awful at best. Is it because Part III is a much lesser film of either Part I or II, so little care or effort is put into it? The section where Michael and Kay were having meal togather, the color and everything else keeps changing back and forth on Kay's face for no appearent reasons. I thought somebody has nothing else better to do but kept swithcing a light on and off.
Well, I guess it's another good reason not to sell the discs separately.

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
Well Bill, I think you got the reference wrong. Every measurement has to have its own relative reference to begin.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Bill:
North By Northwest is a different film, shot on different stock, lit completely differently, printed differently, with a differnt element used for the video transfer, with different post processing of the transfer. To compare these two transfers based simply on the look of the two discs is really meaningless.
The fact is that both of these discs fairly accurately represent the look of the original film presentations. That should be the standard by which we judge these things, not comparing dissimilar films to each other.
[Edited last by Robert George on October 12, 2001 at 11:19 PM]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If this is a beautiful transfer, I wonder what you would call NORTH BY NORTHWEST dvd's transfer.
Mr. Harris posted his comments on NxNW when the DVD first appeared. As I recall, they were very complimentary.
But that's beside the point. As has been pointed out to you, bill, on occasions too numerous to count, one film can't serve as the reference for another. NxNW wouldn't look like The Godfather if you saw them projected in a theater. There's no reason to expect them to look comparable on video either.
Mr. Harris stated his basis of comparison: the original dye transfer prints of The Godfather. That's a valuable and legitimate basis for evaluation. The ones you keep harping on are not.
M.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
If this is a beautiful transfer, I wonder what you would call NORTH BY NORTHWEST dvd's transfer. It's not in the same league.

This is the most appropriate remark I can think to make: pipe down. You're acting like a child in an area that you don't know much about. If Robert Harris says it's a good transfer, IT IS. Not because he is famous, but because that's what he does. Thank you.
-Tom

bill lopez

Second Unit
The point I'm trying to make is that no great effort was made to make this GODFATHER set great. SNOW WHITE was on laserdisc and it was o.k., but now on dvd it looks great.
If people believe that white specks & grain and brownish color should appear on a great movie it's your money.
All I know is if I had seen this quality 1st, I would ask someone to just bootleg me a copy off cable to dvd when they run them and save me $75.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I also thought the transfers of the first two films looked quite good. These films have a distinctive "look" that I think is reproduced quite well on the DVDs. C'mon folks, I don't know how you can possibly have even a remote chance of enjoying any film if you get so caught up in finding things wrong with these transfers. They are dark and warm, as I think they are supposed to be. They aren't "Goodfellas."
I also thought Part III didn't look too good, but it looked like possibly carelessness in shooting as well as poor care of the negative. I also noticed the scene late in the movie while Michael and Kay are having a meal together. Its pretty hard to miss. The shots of Kay have some pretty major fluctuations in density. This just stands out that much more because the shots of Michael don't have the same problem and the scene keeps switching back and forth. On the whole, Part III looked grainy and flat and lacked density and saturation. I'm glad I have all three, but I'm also glad the first two look good. I'm not too upset about the third.
I personally think there are some who just need to enjoy these outstanding movies and stop finding things they think are wrong with the transfers. They look the way they should.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Bill:
Having read your other messages in the other Godfather thread, and now your latest here, it should be pointed out you do not have a clue what you are talking about. If you think the Godfather DVD looks bad to you, that is a purely subjective opinion, which you are certainly entitled to, but that does not mean you are not wrong. Which you are.
Now, you've made your point that you don't like this set. I suggest you drop it.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Other than an occasional speckling of minus density (negative dirt which prints as clear - white - on prints), a norm on negatives which have been mistreated and overly printed, I see no problems
Ahh, so that's what those were. Gawd, I thought I had a defect in my TV when I saw these! Phew!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to add,
Obi's comments are, of course, right on target.
As far as grain and specks. I expect nothing can really be done about the grian without creating other, less desirable artifacts. I imagine the specks could have been digitally touched up, but I really didn't notice them as much except on Part III.
As far as the brownish color, you are really missing the boat here. They are SUPPOSED to look like that.
That said, Tom, you really should be a little more careful about what you say about others. There are guidelines.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Double Post
[Edited last by JohnRice on October 12, 2001 at 11:48 PM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mr. Harris for your opinions
I figured this was about as good as this movie will look, given that the elements are in such bad shape
Jeff Kleist

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I noticed some odd points where dust was more prominent than anywhere else but I didn't feel there was excessive grain. Besides the fact that I was way too engrossed in the film, the acting, the dialogue to worry about minor blemishes in the picture. Damn, Brando and Pacino are fine actors!
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection
Patrick The 69th most popular name for boys according to the Social Security Administration.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Besides the fact that I was way too engrossed in the film, the acting, the dialogue to worry about minor blemishes in the picture. Damn, Brando and Pacino are fine actors!
Exactly! How on earth can someone watch this DVD, which is short of perfect, but also probably better than can reasonable be expected, and be consumed with perceived shortcomings? I noticed absolutely no flaws. I just popped the disc into my computer, which actually is the best video presentation I have available and watched a few scenes. On the whole, I am still quite impressed, even though I was specifically looking for flaws.
On several scenes, the mid tones have lost some of their subtlety, which is unfortunately to be expected. I did notice some pretty obvious negative specs, particularly as the camera moves toward the bed just before Woltz wakes up to find the little surprise. Still, on the whole, better than can reasonably be expected.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Having watched Godfather 1 and 2 (I'm still preparing myself to endure Godfather 3) before reading this thread, I couldn't work out why people were whining about the picture quality. No movie transfer is ever going to be 100 per cent perfect, but the Godfather, IMHO, has been given as good a transfer as anyone could reasonably expect. Indeed, the image is as clear as I've ever seen (though admittedly I only ever saw the movies on a big screen in re-runs in art house theater screenings). Thank you, Mr Harris, for reassuring me that I'm not over-easily satisfied!

Britton

Screenwriter
Hahaha, the person who complained about the brownish color in the transfers sure cracks me up! I'll bet he got really angry when he saw how brown everything was during the Vito segments of Part II. Heeheeheeha!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks