Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ric Easton...Voyager covers?...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 of 47 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,017 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 05:01 AM

Ric, I know you mentioned you were going to be doing Voyager covers similar to your other series covers. Just wondering if you have done anything yet? Even just a prototype would be cool to see. Thanks!
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 47 OFFLINE   KyleC

KyleC

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 05:34 AM

Also Ric, Can you recommend legal size photo paper that I can use to print your covers that can be used in a color laser printer? Something I forgot is that a laser is hotter than an ink jet so I don't think I can use that type of paper. I printed a test of your DS9 archive cover and it looks just brilliant now that it's in front of my face and in a cover.

#3 of 47 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,017 posts

Posted February 28 2004 - 10:04 AM

Bumping just in case Ric never saw this.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#4 of 47 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted February 28 2004 - 01:51 PM

Yes, I did miss it the first time around... sorry!

I didn't want to have finished versions until I know all the release dates of the Voyager sets. So, I really don't know how long that will be. I seriously don't think that Paramount would start releasing this and not finish it, but since the spine design spells out Voyager between several spines it wouldn't look right unless all the covers were printed up.

Here's my old preview of the spine design.
Posted Image

I'll see if I can post a few cover mock-ups soon

And Kyle, sorry I don't know anything about paper for laser printers!

Ric

#5 of 47 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted February 28 2004 - 02:04 PM

Oh, and did you fellers see this?

Ric

#6 of 47 OFFLINE   GarySchrock

GarySchrock

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted February 28 2004 - 03:46 PM

Ric, as usual, your cover art is just sick. That movie spine is pretty sweet. The only thing I'm concerned about is when the slim sevens hit the US market, it's going to be tough to choose between your covers and the slimmer cases. My only complaint with the DS9 covers is that those cases are just so big.

#7 of 47 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 12:49 AM

I know! As I said somewhere else, i first got into this to save shelf space! It started with those 40 volumes of TOS!

I may end up redesigning some of my series if those slims become more available. I'm not really taken with them though. I don't like the fact that the discs overlap and you have to remove one to get at another.

Ric

#8 of 47 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,017 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 03:34 AM

Ric, The Voyager spine is your best yet. Can't wait to get them. Thanks again.

#9 of 47 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 04:48 AM

Thanks, Todd!

Here's a bit more....

Keep in mind that parts of these may still be a little rough, but here are what I plan on the first two covers looking like.

Posted Image
Larger View

Posted Image
Larger View

And for number 3, I only got as far as a rough idea of the front:
Posted Image

As you can see, I started off season one with just a beauty shot of Voyager. At first it was my intention to do this on all the covers, getting rid of the "floating head" syndrome. Well, after season one (and that planet starting to move over) I discovered I had a lot more vertical space to work with, so I decided to start putting the characters in after all. The only thing is, there are gonna be some folks that don't make the front cover. As season 4 begins, Kes is already headed out the door. Hopefully I will still be able to feature entire cast shots on the back, if I can get ahold of good quality pix.

The shot below shows the 3 proposed covers side by side...

Posted Image
As you can see, that logo is changing position a bit due to the pictures. Hopefully this deviation will not be a problem as I do not want to get as "locked in" on the fronts as I have on the other series. The backs will hopefully help keep the look of uniformity.

The back is designed as a template of sorts. I intend that middle section to either be facts about some aspect of the ship, their mission or a crew member. I wouldn't be able to keep all 7 seasons about the ship! There is also a space at the top where it says "Charting the New Frontier" That was a tagline they used for the show when it went into VHS production in the UK. I was wondering if I could use the same tagline for each season, or if I'll have to come up with some catchy phrase for each season (submissions are welcome).

Anyway, that's where I'm at. As I've said, I want to wait until at least a few of the seasons are out, before I release anything for download. I've also found it's easier to do the whole project wghen you know where you are headed, and I won't know that until I see what materials I can get as the releases continue.

Comments and suggestions are always most welcome.
Ric

#10 of 47 OFFLINE   GarySchrock

GarySchrock

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 11:33 AM

[quote]I may end up redesigning some of my series if those slims become more available. I'm not really taken with them though. I don't like the fact that the discs overlap and you have to remove one to get at another.
[quote]

Wade K had commented in the slim discs thread that there were supposedly 7 and 8 disc cases in the same style as the 6 discs ones, but only available in lots of 1000. There was also some indication that pakpal on ebay supposedly would start selling those in the near future. Now, from the decription from Wade, it seemed to imply the same style of flip page as the 6s, in which case they wouldn't be overlapping discs. Definitely if they turn out to be overlapping cases, I wouldn't be interested in them.

Personally, with the moving logo on the front it doesn't bother me. After all, the front is only seen when you pull the disc out, and how many people pull all the discs out and compare the position of the title?

#11 of 47 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,307 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 12:11 AM

Another great job ric. The effort Paramount have put into these disks, despite steller transfers, has made me decide not to give paramount my money. My wife got me the first season for my birthday and I was shocked to see for $99 for 5 disks that they put an accodian type plastic tray into to pieces of Cheap plastic to hold the whole thing together. The disk have writing on them so small you cannnot read the episode names and the print isn't even centered. This looks like hackneyed at the very worst. Add insult to injury BB bonus disk is a commecial..... a Frigging Commercial (Not for Ovaltine !). Netflix will get my buisness so I can checkout the other disks and special features, but paramount won't get my Bones (or my Spock for that matter). And they better do a better job with Enterprise if they expect too. ( I like Enterprise better than Voyager anfyhow) But great job on the covers and thanks for doing the job Paramount could'nt.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#12 of 47 OFFLINE   Greg S

Greg S

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 01:16 AM

Posted Image

Love the First Season cover. The rest look very nice as well but the First Season just looks really nice to me. I'm surprised you didn't throw in a shot of the Caretaker station since its so important.

I'm sure in the later seasons you will get a species 8472 ship and a Herogen ship in there somewhere.

Looking good though!!

Also just to add my own "little pressure" I would like to to add my name to list of persons really wanting you to redesign these for the Slim cases as well. I will be ordering some for myself (yes even if I have to order 1,000 and then sell off what I don't need) because I am seriously suffering in the shelf space dept. but REALLY would hate to lose the cool Star Trek covers you have done as they are the highlight of my DVD rack!

Greg

#13 of 47 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 01:27 AM

Thanks guys! Maybe the slim cases one day... We'll see. I couldn't find a decent shot of the Caretaker's ship, but those Kazon's annoyed the hell out of us and the crew for two seasons, anyway. As for other ships, we'll see on that too. I don't want to clutter up the spine too much and it seems to me that the Voyager belongs on the front. I don't know, we'll have to see what happens, what materials I can get ahold of and how inspiration strikes. If anyone has high-res artwork or portraits of the cast (grouped or portraits) I sure would appreciate it if you would send them my way!

#14 of 47 OFFLINE   Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 01:32 AM

Will we get the spine for download soon?

Fantastic job on what I'm seeing so far.

Posted Image

#15 of 47 OFFLINE   Greg S

Greg S

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 04:00 AM

Ric,

One other thing of note on the Slim cases if you CLICK THIS and scroll to the bottom of the thread you will see the shot of the Slim 6, the discs are not overlapped on top of each other. They are designed like the SLim 3's which have a disc up high on one side and a disc down low on the backside of the flip page.

I guess I should have clarified my statement. I think the spine is fine and I wouldn't want it cluttered up either (and yes Voyager belongs there). I think it would be cool to see the other ships on the backs/fronts of some of the season covers but not the spine.

Thanks for the work!!

Greg

#16 of 47 OFFLINE   Joseph:S

Joseph:S

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 02 2004 - 12:18 AM

I love your covers, the look just brilliant!!! Any intention to do Farscape, Stargate SG-1, or Smallville? I admire & respect any artist with talent and you, my friend, have talent. Joseph

#17 of 47 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted March 02 2004 - 09:58 AM

Thanks!

I would like to do something for Farscape eventually. But I want to wait until all the episodes are out. There is also the snag of an as yet to be produced miniseries, which may affect a spine design.

I also started playing around with a Stargate spine...
Posted Image
But, I don't want to get really involved with it until I know how many seasons the show will go. It recently got renewed for an 8th season. Also, I've only seen a few episodes and am not that familiar with the show, nor do I have a lot of hi-res pictures for it... which could be a problem. I have been thinking about ordering some of the seasons and giving the show a try.

Frank, As far as a spine for Voyager that you can download and use for placeholders while waiting for the covers to come out, I'll see what I can do in the next week or so. I still need to clean up that spine a bit.

I've been a little backed up with regular work and a freelance job lately, so things aren't moving too fast!

Ric

#18 of 47 OFFLINE   Greg S

Greg S

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 03:25 AM

Ric, Really like the Stargate look as well. BTW I have the first 6 seasons myself. I would be more than willing to loan you a season or 2 to see if you wanto to get into it or if maybe you can get some screen captures from it. If you are interested just shoot me an email. Greg

#19 of 47 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 07:52 AM

Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#20 of 47 OFFLINE   Andrea W

Andrea W

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted March 04 2004 - 08:35 AM

Ric,

I'd be happy to send you 7 slim 7-disc cases as soon as I get my hands on some (hopefully pakpal will have them this month on ebay), in hopes that you'll make slim STTNG cover art! Posted Image

Also, with Stargate Atlantis coming, I suspect this will be the last season of Stargate SG-1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users