What's new

Stargate SG-1 Season 5 Missing Feature (1 Viewer)

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
I have recently picked up a copy of Stargate SG-1 season 5, and the box says that disc one contains a photo gallery. However, there doesn't seem to be any such feature on the disc. I have heard from several other people on my SG-1 forum that their discs are the same.

I remember reading here that Universal eventually replaced faulty Back to the Future discs. Does anyone know how one might contact MGM about fixing this error? It basically amounts to false advertising to have features listed on the box that are not included. Any ideas?

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Don't expect them to fix an error like this. A flawed transfer is a whole different matter from a missing gallery. Recalling a product is expensive. MGM is more likely to try and make those who complain happy in another way...

Perhaps MGM will include it on a later season release.

I must have a dozen discs in my collection from various studios that are missing minor features which are listed on the box. Usually, it's a case of a feature being omitted late in the process for authoring reasons, after the cover art has been sent out for printing.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I was really surprised the set didn't contain part 2 of the 3 part documentary started in the season 4 set.

Gord

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

Me too. This documentary originated on the 100th episode DVD created for the cast and crew. I'm wishing I'd gotten it when I could have.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Guys...

Convince me to pick up season one of this series. I've only seen one or two episodes, is it any good? Is it worth it? What do you like about the show? I'm a big Babylon 5, Star Trek, Farscape and Firefly fan. They are sci-fi, but all space related. Is SG-1 something you think I may like? How have the seasons progressed (no spoilers, please!) quality wise?

I'm a little jealous of folks that have been able to pick up great series on DVD (like DS9 and B5) and see them for the first time. I'd like to find another series (besides Alias which I am currently enjoying) that I can do this with.

Ric

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Ric, I recommend Stargate.

Stargate has some "space" action in it, particularly after the first season or two... but generally I like the episodes that avoid travel by ship better.

The series is MUCH lighter in tone than the movie. Richard Dean Anderson is terrific as Col. O'Neill, bringing a sort of quirky, humorous attitude to what was Kurt Russell's dark character. There are even a few in-jokes relating to Macgyver.

A year ago, I, too, had only seen a couple of episodes. I bought season one on the recommendation of a friend and haven't regretted it.

It's not quite the same caliber as DS9 or Firefly, but it's a funny and entertaining sci-fi show.

Early seasons don't look particularly great on DVD (grainy transfers), but that improves over time.

-Scott

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
The thing that sets Stargate SG-1 apart from many other sci-fi shows for me is that it happens in the present. The characters are just as amazed by all these new discoveries as the viewers. Besides that, the top-notch special effects, acting, and writing make this my favorite sci-fi show since TNG.

The show has always had a sort of underground fan feel to it, since it started off on Showtime and wasn't really seen by too many people, but over the years, it has grown quite a following, and most of the fans I run into on my site remind me of the show itself: intelligent and entertaining. (Which seems rare to me compared to some of the other groups.)

Oops, getting kind of off-topic. But anyway, I have bought the first five seasons on DVD, and even with the screwups on the 5th set, I have already pre-ordered season 6.

I think netflix carries the discs if you want to check some out before buying a whole season.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Ric,

Amazon.ca has the first three seasons for $34.49 Canadian each right now. The box sets are a steal at those prices. Visit the DVD Talk bargain forum on your way to Amazon for some current discount codes that will reduce the price further by $5.

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
So, here's the answer to my own question, for anyone interested:

I spoke with someone at MGM about the missing feature today. There is now a way to obtain a disc with the missing feature directly from MGM.

E-mail [email protected]

Put "stills gallery" in the subject line of the email.
Include your name, address and phone number.

A new disc will be mailed to you.

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson
Well, I sent an email to [email protected] almost a month ago (with “stills gallery” in the subject line as instructed), but I have received no reply and no disc.

Have I missed a step? Has anyone else received their “replacement” disc?

EDIT:

I re-sent my previous email to MGM, and got the following reply today (03/22/04):

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
Personally, I could care less about the stills gallery, but kudos to MGM for doing a really nice thing here.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I received the stills gallery disc in the mail yesterday. I got home from work and was surprised to see a padded envelope with an MGM logo on the front. I had emailed MGM but frankly didn't expect to ever hear from them since I'm not even in Region 1.

Mailing the stills gallery disc to me required someone to go to the post office with the envelope and pay for shipping (I'm practically on the other side of the world so they couldn't use a prepaid domestic mail envelope), fill out the green customs sticker and attch it to the envelope. Although this doesn't sound like too much trouble in general, I've found such tasks to be too difficult for some companies especially in case of such insignificant requests as this (in the grand scheme of things). Based on previous experience with some other companies, I expected an anonymous customer service rep at MGM to simply delete my email.

Thank you Adam*M for posting here the information on how to obtain the disc, and thank you MGM for excellent customer service.

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
myself all i care about is the shows.

anyway...
stargate sg1 is one of the best shows to come alone in a long time since star trek.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I had wished they'd release season 7 by now to allow DVD viewers to get caught up for Season 8 and Atlantis (starting in July). Without an announcement, I imagine we won't see this until late in the year, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks