What's new

Used Saab or new VW??? (1 Viewer)

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Yes, another car thread!

I'm looking for a wagon to replace my 94 Accord wagon. It seems as though I'm going to have to buy a European one since Honda/Toyota don't make large enough ones. I'm sort of thinking of either a 2001/2002 Saab 9-5 or a 2003/04 Passat. I really like the Saabs, but the VW would be newer, but not as many goodies....any advice? Thanks

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I've noticed that! I drove a 01 9-3 over the weekend that the dealer was asking just under $20k for and new, it went for nearly twice that...I really like the Saab, but I'm trying to be a *little* bit practical. I've owned a VW before and had what seems to be a typical experience: the drivetrain held up great, but all the little stuff broke (death from a thousand cuts?). I wonder if this is going to be the case with a Saab; this car has a lot of extras on it....but of course they make the car more attractive. Tough choice, to be sure.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I may have misunderstood (and if so, then apologies), but if you're after what we Brits would call an estate car, then why not go for a Volvo?

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I second the Volvo! The new V50 that is coming out in the summertime is a nice looking wagon.

Of course there's always the V70R. I looked at one of these on Sunday when the dealer was closed...NICE

wally

Second Unit
After being exclusively a Honda driver for 27 years, I purchased a used Jetta VR6 last year.

So far, so good.

Heated leather seats, OH YEAH!:emoji_thumbsup:

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Hmm, interesting. I should probably explain why I'm looking at these cars. I need to keep the price around $20-23k and the primary criteria for this, as Andrew put it, estate car. I am a double bass player (aka string/upright) and I have to take my instrument to local concerts/rehearsals as well as half a dozen or so out of town gigs per year.

Playing isn't my living, but I do it enough that I need a good car for it. While I can fit the bass into most any hatchback car, only a wagon allows me to fit myself, my wife, the bass, luggage, and a black lab in with ease. My Accord does this, but the Jetta wagon and others of its size don't. Length is kind of important more than height, which is why I would rather have a wagon than an SUV. I could just suck it up and get a minivan, but a wagon can be a much more fun ride.

The Volvo V40 seems too small; is the V50 of similar size? I can't spring for a new V70, but plan on looking at used V70s...do y'all like them better than the Saabs? The other thing I was hoping to look for was the Mazda6 Sportwagon, which has been "coming soon" for a good long while...of course if Honda sold an Accord wagon here in the US, :frowning: I'd have already bought one as my old Honda has been great.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Don't want to derail this thread too much, John, but to Andrew and Shawn, the Volvo advocates - what do you think of the S40? I was really surprised to learn one could be had for around 20k.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
We bought a 95 SAAB that was a leaser and it's held up very well. Over 100,000 no major problems ...biggest thing was a broken fan belt when my wife was driving

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
Not sure how relevant this is either, but my girlfriend and I purchased an '03 VW GTI 20th Anniversary Edition last August. It's our first VW and we both love the car. No problems at all ** knock on wood **.

Here's my vote for the VW! :)

Good luck...

Scott.

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Hey, no problem. The S40 sounds nice, but too small and not available with a manual tranny, which I'd like. I need to go drive a Volvo to compare with the Saabs.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I got my 32XBR400 into the back of my SAAB - Box and all!
The Sony outlet store told me they never got one into a car before....only mini vans and pick ups

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Scott, I too like the VWs a lot....a very tough choice. If you don't mind my asking, since you're in the same area as I am, who did you buy your VW from? Good experience?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Uhm...Honda's also have heated leather seats...

I've not seen the VW wagons, but my impression is that the VW Passat is quite good. My friend with a Passat V6 4motion really likes it.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
From 1981 until now I've always owned a Saab: 2 in total!

My first one was a 99 and lasted until 1991 (when I was hit by a driver ignoring a traffic light - his car had to be towed away, I drove to the garage and had to declare it - economically - t.l.). Stil using my second car, a 900i, bought in 1991 (as you may have guessed).

So be not too surprised if I say: go for the 9-5, provided there are no hidden problems, of course.

Cees

wally

Second Unit

Yup, I just happened to get a really good deal on the Jetta that had all the "toys". I'd never had them before.

I looked at Honda's too, but feel they have lost any sense of style over the last several years. I do like the Element though, and the S2000 just wouldn't work into my lifestyle, now.:D

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Haven't looked at the Subarus? Or is the Outback wagon too small? My friend has an Audi A4 1.8t wagon but that seems even smaller than the Outback.

My parents used to have an old Country Squire, now THAT is a nice full size wagon. Enough that my 3 sisters and I used to sleep in the back of it on trips to Canada when we were all wee little Silica lovers. (errh, actually before the age of silica for us really).

Jay

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
You could always look at one of the older Volvos. They are *very* solidly built and I've seen a lot of old Volvo estate cars around Britain (and no, not because we can't afford new ones). Provided it's been well-maintained at a Volvo dealership, chances are you can get a couple of hundred thousand miles out of a Volvo. If you fancy something sporty, see if you can get one of the old T5 estates.

In answer to your question, Eric, the S40 is useless for me (I'm 6ft 9 and I can't fit behind the steering wheel!) but, particularly in its more sporty versions, it's a good car to drive, I understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks