Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Odd DVD occurence: please answer

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   George_Reis

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted October 14 2001 - 10:55 AM

Just wondering about an odd DVD occurence, and why it would happen. It's nothing major at all, but one of my discs (MGM's COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE), the sound goes out with a very slight delay for a split second: this only happens once, and it only happens on Pioneer machines. It's not the individual disc, as I played a friend's copy and the same thing happened. The movie plays flawless on every other model. It's not a sidebeak, but I was just wondering if anyone knew why this would occur only on Pioneer players? Is this encoding?

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted October 14 2001 - 11:03 AM

Sounds like a layer change. Layer changes are not equal in how long they take. Some are seamless and happen without noticing, others are up to two seconds in length. Does your picture freeze a moment at the same time? A layer change will cause the video to freeze and an audio drop-out.

Bruce

------------------
Posted Image
Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love
The Mads are calling

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   George_Reis

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted October 14 2001 - 11:06 AM

It's not a layer change, it doesn't freeze like a normal layer change, and it only happens on Pioneer players. I don't think they would have a layer change on a 90 minute movie with no extras, but maybe I'm wrong. If I freeze the scene on the Pioneer, sometimes it locks up and the DVD won't play until I stop and start again. [Edited last by George_Reis on October 14, 2001 at 02:09 PM]

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted October 14 2001 - 12:34 PM

It still sounds like a layer change to me. In some DVDs, there may not be an APPARENT freeze in the video but you might still "hear" the audio dropout. I have a Pioneer player, but I can't test that particular title because I don't own it. One way to tell if the disk is double sided, the surface will have a light gold color instead of white (silver).

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted October 15 2001 - 08:57 AM

Can't be a layer change because Count Yorga Vampire is a single-layer disc. It must just be something slightly out of spec that the Pioneer players can't handle. Have you gotten firmware upgrades for the player? ------------------ "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   George_Reis

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted October 15 2001 - 09:06 AM

No, where and what exactly do I have to do? Thanks for the info.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted October 15 2001 - 11:52 AM

Now I'm intrigued... I will try to rent this disk. George, can you determine approximately the elapsed time in the movie when this happens? I can compare how it plays on my Pioneer Elite DV-09, and on my Sony S7700 and NS700P. Appreciate it...

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted October 15 2001 - 12:05 PM

The paperwork that came with your player should have a contact number for customer service; you could try calling that and asking if there are any firmware updates for your model of player. Alternatively, if there is an authorized Pioneer repair facility nearby you could try them. I'll be interested to see what comes out of this. ------------------ "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   George_Reis

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted October 15 2001 - 12:44 PM

It happens right at 1:10:52. It's when a sleeping Roger Perry is woken by a telephone ring. It's chapter 14.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted October 18 2001 - 09:47 PM

Okay, my rental copy arrived today and was able to test it on my Pioneer Elite DV-F09 and there is no audio glitch at all. And I ran it over and over many times. I also played it on my computer and same thing... no audio cutout. I try to keep a close watch on reported glitches on Pioneer players, and fortunately, none of these that I know of happen on my player. Maybe it has something to do with it being an Elite model.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter

• 1,347 posts

Posted October 18 2001 - 10:20 PM

I have to say, this sounds like the standard Pioneer lipsync problem that we occasionally used to see back in the day. Anyone remember Lost In Space or Lock, Stock?
mmm, thats odd.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike Loiterman

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted October 18 2001 - 10:39 PM

I agree this looks like the old pioneer lip sync problem.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   George_Reis

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 11:29 AM

My Pioneer is a combo laser/DVD player (not an Elite) that I bought in '98. The problem is with certain Pioneer players not the disc, because the disc plays fine on every other player, and I've tried it on at least four other brands.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   George_Reis

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 10:13 AM

Any last opionions on this? Thanks for all your help. I'm just convinced that there's a bug in the older Pioneer models.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users