Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Difference between 2-disc & 4-disc Pearl Harbor?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 01:46 AM

Alright, I'm sure the answer is no but I gotta ask just to fulfil my curiousity. The 2-disc version packaging has a runtime of 183 minutes. Well I just bought the 4-disc Vista version yesterday and noticed the running time is 184 minutes. Is there a difference at all since the Vista version is the "The Director's Cut"?

I am thinking it is due to the little 2 minute thing on P&S vs. WS on disc 1.

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   JonBoriss

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 02:29 AM

Well the directors cut is longer and it is rated R. A little of the romance stuff is cut and there is a bit more violence, nothing drastic.
god I hate that movie...

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   rutger_s

rutger_s

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 03:25 AM

I liked the movie and the director's cut has these changes:

>Rafe's Arrival In London is trimmed.
>Betty's Discussion of Church is extended with different takes.
>The swimming scene uses different angles and is trimmed.
>One of Captain Thurman's scenes is extended.
>Slurs can be heard during the Dorie Miller match.
>The recreation of the attack includes a lot more violence from torsos to limbs flying about. You also see sailors on fire, shrapnel dismemberment, and a severed head.
>Captain Bennion's death is extended with new shot showing him trying to hold his intestines. While Miller tries to put them back in.
>The hospital scenes are extended with more graphic footage including arms and legs lying on the floor.
>Additional "clean" footage is added to the attack along with profanity.
>The campfire scene no longer exists in the "director's cut."
>A new Dolittle scene is added.
>During the Japan raid, new dialogue is added.

As for the DVDs...

The 60th Anniversary Commemorative Edition is presented in anamorphic widescreen and split across two discs. A choice of either English DTS 5.1 Surround sound or English DD 5.1 Surround sound. The second disc holds "Journey To The Screen: The Making of Pearl Harbor" and "Unsung Heroes of Pearl Harbor" documentaries. Also on the second disc are a music video and 2 trailers.

The Vista Series is broken down like this:
-Disc One
Director's Cut Part 1
DTS 5.1 Surround Sound, DD 5.1 Surround sound
3 Commentaries
Film Intermission With Score
-Disc Two
Director's Cut Part 2
DTS 5.1 Surround sound, DD 5.1 Surround sound
3 Commentaries
"Journey To The Screen: The Making of Pearl Harbor" documentary
Music Video
-Disc Three
"Unsung Heroes of Pearl Harbor" and "One Hour Over Tokyo" documentaries
Soldier's Boot Camp
Production Diary
Super 8 Montage
2 Theatrical Trailers
-Disc Four
"Deconstruction Destruction" documentary
Interactive Attack sequence
"When Culture Collide: From Perry To Pearl Harbor" interactive timeline
Still Gallery

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,688 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 06:58 AM

Harold, also the Vista Series 4 disc image is a tad smoother and more detailed than the 2 disc version. Not huge, but noticeable.

Audio appears to be the same?

The supplemental features are fantastic. The entire packaging, inserts, and insightful documentaries are among the best yet to arrive on dvd.

You can just tell they went all out on this dvd set. I liked the movie, and if it was a little better, I would have nominated this dvd to be the best of 2002 instead of LOTR-FOTR-EE in terms of overall stuff. But FOTR easily surpasses PH in movie quality to me.

Try dvdpricesearch.com for the best online deal?

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

• 1,494 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 12:27 PM

What was the campfire scene? I never saw the theatrical cut, but I own the Vista Series disc.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   rutger_s

rutger_s

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 12:32 PM

Rafe just burns the letters from Evelyn in a campfire.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 06:01 AM

I just picked up the Director's Cut of this film and was checking out some old reviews since I've never seen the movie. This quote from Jeff Kleist's review on The Digital Bits really hit my funny bone:

Quote:
How can I sum this 4-disc set up, except to say that this is arguably the DVD of the Year thus far, with only New Line's 4-disc Lord of the Rings threatening to challenge it. Even if by some miracle Rings manages to top these supplements, the Pearl Harbor: Vista Series Director's Cut will stand in the annals of DVD-dom as one of the finest special editions ever produced.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 06:06 AM

Quote:
This quote from Jeff Kleist's review on The Digital Bits really hit my funny bone:

Why? I must agree with Jeff that the four-disc Vista Series release of Pearl Harbor does indeed remain "one of the finest special editions ever produced."

What did you find funny?
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 06:27 AM

I liked the movie as pure Michael Bay B-movie schlock, but the Pearl Haror: Vista Series DVD is ONE of the finest DVDs ever produced.

The film is split across two discs with a fantastic 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer with Dolby Digital and DTS (and three audio commentaries). On the rest of Disc 2 and on Discs 3 and 4 there is TONS of information provided detailing the making of the film and the actual event itself. Every disc in the set is jam packed with extras.

The Pearl Harbor: Vista Series is just as good as the four discs LOTR DVDs, just that the film isn't that good.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 07:31 AM

although the packaging looks amazing, it is, for practical purposes, CRAP. it will totally scratch up your discs when you take them out/put them in; what i did was use the "telegram" paper as a cover for a 2 disc amaray case (thick version). then use the sticker that says "Pearl Harbor Director's Cut" on the area that will be the spine.

then i leave the other 2 supp. discs in the original packaging since i'll never watch them again anyways.
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 09:05 AM

Well I just finished watchin the Director's Cut version and I could definitely tell the difference. For one, there was alot more blood and guts during the Japanese invasion. A lot blood every where for that matter.

I have to agree about the disc holders, they are very difficult. At first I didn't know that they separated from the package as a whole, which makes it easier to get them out, but it's not very practical in deed.

I must say though this is one purchase and movie that I am glad I upgraded from the 2-disc. All of the extras are amazing. I only wish more movies could be this creative and thorough. I sure don't mind paying $30 for this much extra stuff.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 11:47 AM

Quote:
Why? I must agree with Jeff that the four-disc Vista Series release of Pearl Harbor does indeed remain "one of the finest special editions ever produced."

The packaging is outstanding, but I've not had time yet to actually start viewing the content. I have no doubt that it's an excellent set.

What I found funny was that it didn't sound like he thought that Rings was going to be very impressive. As I've mentioned, I've not yet viewed the Pearl Harbor discs, but I think the supplements on the Lord of the Rings discs are some of the best out there.

Maybe I was just reading it wrong, but I found it funny.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 01:24 PM

Quote:
I think the supplements on the Lord of the Rings discs are some of the best out there.

Well, there's certainly no doubt about that. They would be one of the other finest special editions ever produced.
Posted Image

Quote:

I understand. I can certainly see how it might seem funny in retrospect.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 01:45 PM

I'm still lost. What was funny about the Digital Bits quote? Am I supposed to think that the Extended Edition of Fellowship of the Ring is the greatest DVD of all time or some such thing?

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,556 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 03:19 PM

I was kind of interested in picking up this film and that larger box set that included the National Geographic documentary on the real Pearl Harbor events, a map of the attack flight path and other sundries. In researching the alternative versions like the Vista Series version, it looks like that Vista version has the 3 audio commentary, directors cut and other suppliments, but I wasn't sure if that was the 4 disc set.

What I like about that larger box set was the inclusion of the National Geographic doc and it looks like it's not part of the Vista Series set. Is that right? If I want that doc, I might have to buy it separately if I bought the Vista Series set. Thanks for any input on the sets.

Read on only if you want to hear my view of this film, it's just for grins: On a totally unrelated note, while watching the ABC broadcast of this movie the other night, it was amusing to me how this film and Armageddon looked like they were essentially the exact same movie. And I don't mean Ben Affleck. Maybe this has already been noted?

The structure of the plot, the idea that the lead is in love with a girl and is in a triangle situation with another male character. One is Josh Hartmett and the other is Bruce Willis. On both films, a disaster strikes and the lead is called into the effort to the save the day or world. He and the other male lead embark on a dangerous series of missions and survive until the very end and one is killed. But the day is saved and the lead goes home and ends up with the girl. Both have extreme situations were lots of people are killed with lots of razzle dazzle effects. However Armageddon was by far and away beyond suspension of belief and pushed creditility beyond the limits, but it was a sci-fi film by Bruckheimer, so I can forgive a little. Similarly, Pearl Harbor played fast and loose with the historical facts which irked a lot of people, but it's a Bruckheimer popcorn film, so I forgave a little. I thought "30 seconds over Tokyo" with Van Heflin and Spencer Tracy was superior.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 03:34 PM

Quote:
Jeff said that as the FOTR 4-disc edition didn't even come out at the moment of time the DC of Pearl Harbor was released.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted February 11 2004 - 07:12 AM

Quote:
I'm still lost. What was funny about the Digital Bits quote? Am I supposed to think that the Extended Edition of Fellowship of the Ring is the greatest DVD of all time or some such thing?

Greatest DVD of all time? Where did that come from? It's a great movie and DVD set, but it doesn't make my top 10. This was never about saying that LOTR was the greatest or that Pearl Harbor sucked. It was about a reviewer looking forward to a set that hadn't been released at that point and doubting that it would have what it takes to beat the DVD he'd just reviewed. A fair thing to say at that time. Looking back on it however, I'd say that LOTR probably came out better than he expected.

Quote:
this is arguably the DVD of the Year thus far, with only New Line's 4-disc Lord of the Rings threatening to challenge it.

If you don't see the humor there, then move along. I just happen to find it humorous. And looking back on last year's Top 100 DVDs (voted on by members of this forum and several others) where LOTR was voted #1 and Pearl Harbor was #27, I thought more people would find that quote funny. Guess not.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   jonathan_govols

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted February 11 2004 - 07:37 AM

This 4 Disc set is the best set I currently own (I really have no desire to see the Lord of the Rings movies). I believe this has one of the best DTS tracks I've heard (I guess only Daredevil and Terminator 2 can compare for me). I really liked Pearl Harbor and I thought it was a wonderful film. But I guess I can see why some people wouldn't like it (If they were totally expecting a total action-war movie).

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow