Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Smallest Dedicated HT

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,575 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 01:10 AM

We will be adding an addition to our house shortly and I have a space for a small HT. It will be 8x12 but I can expand to get maybe 8x14. I am looking at fitting in 6 seats; 3 front row and three on a riser. Maybe front projected, not sure about that yet. Who has made the smallest dedicated HT? And, does this seem doable?
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   LaMarcus

LaMarcus

Screenwriter

• 1,620 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 01:33 AM

Well, I'd think your biggest problem (HT wise) will be viewing distance. 10 ft is about the standard, so this only leaves you with 2 ft for a second row. Next will be space to actaully get to the second row seating. My couches are are about 84" wide, If I put them in your room, I'd only have 6" on both sides to get around (that's really tight). So seating will be a big issue, you'd have to get actual theater chairs. My couches are also ~40" deep, so there goes the 2 ft. I think with 10 ft viewing distance you could get about an 80" screen.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor

• 628 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 01:37 AM

My HT is 12.5 x 12.5 and I'd have a tough time w/a second row. My viewing distance is about 9 feet with the couch against the wall and I have a 42" TV, which looks fantastic.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 02:52 AM

Mine is 12.5 x 13.5 and I live near mark murphy maybe its a location thing ...LOL

Anyways I would suggest going with the extra length . Also I would recommend getting the berline loveseats. I have 2 put together and can fit 8 adults on them, This is of course with the arms in their upright position...CONFUSED are you (Yodas voice) then see my webpage .

BTW I sit 9 feet from my 65" I too am up against the wall. Also the minimum is not 10 feet but 7.65 acording to thx specs.when I find the link I'll post it.

Just my 2 cents
ED

Here is the link http://www.myhomethe....alculator.html

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   LaMarcus

LaMarcus

Screenwriter

• 1,620 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 04:07 AM

From a 65 inch screen it's ~8 ft., but at ten feet some feel their too close to my 65" screen. But I told him at 10 feet he can go up to 80". At ten feet, 65" screen seems perfect to me, but yes, you can get closer. Rule of thumb here on the HTF has been 1.5 times the screen diagonally equals the viewing distance.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 05:03 AM

The Driftwood is 9'x16'. I have a couch in back with 3 seats down front. Click the link below.

Front row is 9' from my 80" screen and the back is 12'. I much prefer the front row.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Russell R

Russell R

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 05:09 AM

I have a 12x13 and have two rows with a 6ft wide FPTV. I like it. Check out the RODERPLEX
Thanks,
Russell

RODERPLEX Cinema

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,575 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 05:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. My goal is for a room where I can shut the door and watch a movie without hearing "turn it down, you'll wake the baby"
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 05:59 AM

Lamarcus , I am not about to start another argument with you . All I was saying is.... in that link I posted it say around 7.? ' from a 65" rptv . I personally sit around 9' away and I am completely satisfied . MarkMel This is OFF topic : Most childrens doctors will tell you not to be quiet while the baby is sleeping because the child will get used to the house being quiet all the time. Anyways we follwed that advice and my son will sleep through anything now. He is 6 and his bedtime is 7:30 . Once it turns 7:45 we can watch a movie, including action movies. Oh and his bedroom is above the home theater. Just my 2 cents ED

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,575 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 06:38 AM

Thanks but my "baby' is now 4 years old and it was much better when she was smaller. Played stuff at whatever volume. Now that she is 4 and has a mind of her own, I'll hear her yell down "daddy turn it down it's too loud" Posted Image

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   LaMarcus

LaMarcus

Screenwriter

• 1,620 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 08:56 AM

Ed, get outta here man, no arguement. I was actually agreeing with you by saying approx 8 ft, and saying your right, you must have misunderstood me.

I also agree with your off topic subject. Definitely train'em young to get used to the loud levels. Only problem is, I've created a monster and my daughter thinks everything she watches has to be blasting! I tell her movies only baby, movies only.:b Posted Image

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 10:17 AM

Lamarcus, sorry for miss understanding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users