What's new

IF you had $275 what reciever would u buy? (1 Viewer)

Sam_Walls

Grip
I just finished building my fronts, rears, and subwoofer now i need a reciever to send the signal. The subwoofer has a built in amp to it.

So now that they are done i need a Receiver. I was thinking of 5.1 with 100 watts per channel.

I have 275 to spend so any suggestions.

PS it needs to have full warranty, and have various decoders.

Sam

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
With a budget of $275, I'd look for a used Denon AVR-1802 or AVR-1803 receiver.

In regards to a new receiver, I'd look at the Panasonic XR-45 digital receiver which can be purchased from on-line vendors for a bit under $300 - shipped.

Mitch G

Agent
The Yamaha HTR-5640 can be had for $249 from Best Buy.

AUTHOR UPDATE: OOPS I lied. It was on sale for $249 but appears to be back at $299 now. Although pricegrabber.com shows it can be found in your price range.

I cannot give any insight to how this receiver compares to the ones already mentioned, it does fit your budget and seems to be a good value. I bought one and like it - but, again, I have no reference to compare it to. So, it might be junk, for all I know. :)

Mitch

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'd get a JVC............more bang for the buck!
Compare it with other receivers, at the same price, and you'll see the JVC has more features and inputs. Hard to beat, for the money.
Good luck with whatever you decide on...........

TosH

Agent
Kick in an extra $25 and go for the Panasonic XR-45 which has all the decoders you need including DTS 96/24. Otherwise, you could save some money and go for the XR-25.

MikeSkee

Auditioning
I got a Marantz SR4400 for around $200 I believe, open box at Cambridge Soundworks. Check them out online, especially their open box section.

Mark_H

Stunt Coordinator
Harman Kardon AVR-225's are available as factory refurbished for under $275. I got mine from Soundcity.com for $240 shipped.

PC Mall has an open box HK AVR-225 Refurb for $179.99
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...sp?dpno=345463 They are an HK authorized dealer so your warranty is good.

This is a great 5.1 receiver and all HK Refurb receivers carry the full 2yr. factory warranty. It has Dolby PLII, DD and DTS along with the warm HK sound.

This receiver is rated for 55watts per channel but will out perform many that are rated at 100w. Most receivers in your price range will not be putting out an honest 100w regardless of their rating.

Even HK's AVR-125 rated at 45watts per channel is plenty of power for most. Do a search on HTF for HK AVR-125 and AVR-225.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I agree with Mark, do some digging and find a H/K 225, best value available.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Get the HK225. I have one and its 55W per channel beats the pants of my Pioneer's 100W per channel. Most companies overate their power outputs while HK underates theirs.

Sam_Walls

Grip
Hey guys sorry for the very late reply.

Thanks for all of your help. To find out im haveing some problems choosing one. Im restricted to size since my entertainment center is only 14 inches deep :frowning:

So if u know of any good recievers that have a short depth let me know :)

Thanks again guys.

I might just go buy a new entertainment center.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
It will be very difficult to find something that will fit in only 14 inches. You will need at least 1 if not 2 inches in back for the cables. With that being said, the Onkyo 501 will do very well in your range. Don't worry about power, it does a fine job unless you have a large room. It is also a 6.1 system in case you want to upgrade later. As for the lack of depth, I had the same problem. I fixed that with three screws and bolts, a piece of wood and some paint. I found a pre-fab shelf that was deep enough and secrewed it on top of the old shelf. I painted it to match the existing shelf, so it doesn't look too bad. Don't use nails. They will work for a long time, but eventually they will pull out. It might take one month or ten years, depends on the wood, and then your stuff goes crashing to the floor.

My wife wants a new entertainment center. I told her to skip the entertainment center and get a Plasma and just hand it on the wall. That will cost us less and leave both of us happy. For now, she isn't buying it.

Michael Lane

Auditioning
Id recomend te NAD T742, Not sure how much it cost where you are but its about the best bang for buck receiver at its price point, but dont be fooled by its conservative rating, it actuallt goes much harder and smoother than anything else at its price.

bryan_m

Auditioning
I would look for a used Kenwood VR6070. Purchsed mine off EBAY new for $400 last year it is an excellant receiver for the buck. It is THX certified and has CS2 and dolby digital surround ex, is 6.1 compatable and so on.Used you should be able to find it cheap.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Considering you built your own speakers, I'm very surprised someone has not asked what the AV-Receiver to be,,, will be powering for speakers.
Towers & full range, bookies, etc.

How large is your room, what might the ohm load be tothe receiver and how effiecent are they..

Might you favor a particular type sound, warm, neutral, forward, etc.

Given your planned to spend price point, many receivers fall into that, also allot of less than spectacular ones too.
Lastly, ~{unless you can extend the shelf depth in your cabinet}~, at 14 inches your selection really falls off "big time"! I belive the Onk and Nad are shorter in depth than most the AVR's mentioned, tho slightly deeper than that.
If you can find away to extend that shelf depth, your AVR selection will grow greatly!

Both the Nad and Onk would likely be called neutral by most or even slightly to the warm side. This may or may not be a nice match "for you", if your speaks are a little forward sounding. It's all about choices and most importantly, what you like & not what we do.

The members have offered up lots of receivers so far and you really should try and go listen to some if at all possible.
The digi Panny-45 is quite a value and is getting excellent reviews tho it might not be for you. Quite a threa on it over at AVS
The H/K-225 refurb is a nice deal, same with the Onk 501.

Best of luck with your decision/pick and hope all works out great for you!:emoji_thumbsup:

Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks