What's new

Karate Kid (1 Viewer)

Josh L

Stunt Coordinator
I am sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find any recent threads.

I saw Karate Kid on ESPN Classic tonight and before just about every commercial break there were interviews (Ralph Macchio, Pat Morita, Martin Kove, etc), "behind the scenes" footage and some pretty insightful little facts popping up on the screen every now and then.

With all this neat extra stuff out there why is the current DVD release such a POS?

And full-frame to boot :angry: ...will we ever see an SE of this??

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Probably not until Tri-Star/Columbia releases a SuperBit and (following that) Collector's Edition Box Set for every title they own. I think they're in a race to beat Anchor Bay in DVD repackaging.

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
Probably one of the most popular movies to come out of the 1980s. I can't wait for a Special Edition release of this classic.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Did you know... William Zabka (who plays Johnny) has just been nominated for an Oscar.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Ive been awaiting a re-release of this move for quite some time, but with Columbia's track record, it could never happen, or if it does, it could be another Matilda debacle and be P&S again.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Something along the lines of the Rambo Trilogy would be awesome. DTS and 1 disc for all of the extras. PLEASE!!!!

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
I saw that last night and was wondering why it had a longer time in the cable guide, guess the commentaries is why.

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I've been waiting quite a while for a SE, thats why I have held off buying the current release.

Its an Essential movie of the 80s.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Did you miss Karate Kid with the 'extras' last night?

Don't worry. The next time ESPN Classic will show it is: November 28, 2004!

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Columbia should be ashamed that this disc was released full frame almost six years ago(!) and there's been no mention of an OAR re-release. Also, it's evident from the ESPN presentations that John Avildsen and the principal actors seem quite willing to discuss the film at length. A special edition release of this film is long overdue. :angry:

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Thats pretty crazy, do you know if the movoe os any good? It's called Most and is nominated for short film(live action.)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Sorry, trying to work and type at the same time. I meant to say" Do you know id the MOVIE is any good?"

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
Yes! One of the quintisential (sp?) movies of the 80's...I have the P&S DVD (only b/c I had never owned it on any other format and really wanted it) but I would rebuy it in a heartbeat if it came out as an OAR SE! COME ON COLUMBIA!!!!!!!

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Columbia has proven time and time again that they will not listen to their customers. Look at all the times theyve continuously dropped the ball on in demand releases, look at all the petitions theyve ignored, etc. Im pretty sure that Columbia is the only major studio to never do an HTF chat or even make an effort to listen to the DVD community online. They just dont care, and no matter what anyone says, they will continue to re-release P&S versions of whatever they want.

What a shame that a studio that was one of two of the original major studios to support DVD has such a narrow vision. :frowning:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Don't think so, Mike. Can't recall Disney ever doing one. Or Universal. Do you see a correlation there? The studios currently doing the most consistently excellent work with OAR and the like are Fox, Warner Bros, New Line, Criterion, Anchor Bay... and they all have done chats. The one exception is MGM, who did a chat but still releases pan and scan and otherwise crumby product, alternating with great stuff.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Fear does not exist in this dojo!

I would definitely buy a bells and whistles release. To anyone that produces this, the participation of Martin Cove is an absolute MUST.

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
If you can live with PAL speedup, get the R2 release.
It's 1.85:1 (16:9) and looks OK. Alas sans extras, except trailers.
For fans there is a box-set with all 3 movies in OAR (16:9) which has been going for as little as 20$ in Denmark.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks