Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How many episodes fit on a disc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   MichaelFA

MichaelFA

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 11:11 AM

I have 2 general questions:

#1) How many episodes (or hours) fit on one disc without the quality of the sound or picture being hindered?

#2) As technology gets better, will they eventually be able to fit more content on a single disc as opposed to what they can currently fit?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 11:13 AM

i think you will have to tell us which episodes you are talking about. otherwise, how do we know how long each one lasts?

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   MichaelFA

MichaelFA

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 11:15 AM

22-25 minute episodes (comedies) and 45-50 minute episodes (dramas)

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 11:15 AM

Figure 2 hours per layer. With DVD-9 (single side, dual layer) being the most common, a single disc would fit roughly 4 hours of material.

For an hour-long series (42-46 mins/episode) most companies go with 4 episodes per disc. Sometime you'll find other configurations, like MI-5 which packaged a lot of bonus material on each disc, resulting in 2 episodes per disc, or something like Dawson's Creek Season 2 which sacrificed picture quality and jammed 6 episodes on a disc.

For a half hour show (22-25 mins) you'll usually find 6-8 episodes on a disc. Once again, Columbia TriStar crammed 11 episodes of "Mad About You" on a disc and the result was poor quality.

I don't think we'll see MPEG 2 compression techniques improve much more than they already have, so I doubt we'll see many more episodes on a disc.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?