What's new

heat sink v. fan (1 Viewer)

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
I need to replace an old video card in, well, an old computer. I don't need anything too fancy, as I will probably be CPU-limited (733 PIII). I am looking at GeForce FX5200 (non-ultra) cards and see many with a heat sink and some with a fan. Will the heat sink cool as well as a fan? All of the higher-end cards have fans, so my first thought is no. But you're also deleting a moving part from the equation which is advantageous from a longevity perspective.

Thanks!
Nathan

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say unless you plan on overclocking you'll be fine with a fanless video card. These mid/lower-end cards don't generate nearly as much heat as the higher-end models and thus don't require the same cooling capability. I have replaced the stock fan on my Ati AIW 9700 with a Zalman heatsink and it runs just fine.

John

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
John-- did you replace the fan because it was broken, to quiet your machine down, or because of better cooling properties? Just curious.. I do not plan on overclocking. Too much risk for the little benefit I would gain. This is a stopgap measure too.. I hope to be able to build a new machine sometime within the next year. This is just to get me by until then. I'm replacing a first generation GeForce 32MB card, so anything will be an improvement.

Scott-- the cards I am looking at have heatsinks.

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan,

I replaced the fan to quite down my machine...it was the last component that was making noise. I was using the term heatsink in rather generic way...the Zalman product I have is a heatpipe . A scaled-down version of this cooling solution is offered on Saffire's Radeon Ultimate 9600XT.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say you'll be fine with either choice (heatsink w/fan vs. heatsink).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks