Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Extension Cord for Subwoofer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Dave Lyons

Dave Lyons

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 05:28 AM

I have a Cerwin-Vega 200 watt subwoofer that I would like to plug into my Panamax 5510 protector. Panamax indicates that I must use their extension cord in order to not invalidate my protected equipment warranty. My two questions are:

1. Should I be concerned about any difference in bass quality when using an extension cord with the subwoofer? Panamax's extension cord: http://www.panamax.c....?sName=GEC1410

2. My subwoofer only has a 2-prong plug and the extension cord has 3. Is this something to worry about? Would I want to use some kind of adapter, or just plug it in as is?

Thanks!
Dave

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   dougW

dougW

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 07:40 AM

That's surprising your sub has no ground pin on the power cord. Panamax extension cords are well made, heavy.

If a loss occured, I doubt seriously they would ever know one of their cords was not on it. Besides, does anyone ever really collect on these equipment guarantees? I bet it's pretty tough.

Lex

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Dave Lyons

Dave Lyons

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 03:46 PM

Good point ... so if I just picked up any old 2 prong extension cord at a local store, is there anything I want to look out for or do you think there won't be any difference in sub performance regardless of what extension cord is used?

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 09:56 AM

I use and extension cord also and there isn't any difference in the sound.
On The 8th Day, God Created Home Theater.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown

Second Unit

• 449 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 01:12 AM

A 3-prong extension cord is no problem, in fact it is likely better made than a 2-prong cord.