Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

From the Earth to the Moon question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted February 07 2004 - 07:25 PM

Hi guys, one quick question about From the Earth to the Moon. I have been thinking about picking this up lately and I checked amazon and it has this cover art:

Posted Image

However, when it first came out, I remember seeing it in a silvery packaging. Did I remember wrong? Or is what amazon posted the inside cover? Or did they repackaged the set?

Thanks. Posted Image

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted February 07 2004 - 07:34 PM

That's the title page, with the silver sleeve removed. The silver sleeve featured indented letters of the title, I think they're showing the box without the sleeve because the title is easier to see...my Silver Sleeve fell apart within months, and the inside plastic racks have also dislodged from their paper backing. Bad run of glue, I guess. Either that, or I just watched the set too much. Posted Image

Then again, it could be a re-release, so, I'd wait for some better-informed opinions.

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted February 07 2004 - 07:42 PM

Thanks Ernest Posted Image

So they still sell it with the silver sleeve I guess.

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,663 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 08 2004 - 03:46 AM

The packaging on this title could be better. The glue attaching the trays to the cardboard dried up on my set, causing the package to fall apart. Numerous other people have reported a similar problem here. I ended up getting a four disc amaray case and downloading a new cover from dvdcoverart.com.

However, the program material is excellent in spite of the poor quality packaging, and is well worth a purchase.

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 04:12 AM

^ it's that bad? Posted Image

btw, did HBO change the packaging? This is what's posted on their site...

Posted Image

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 06:21 AM

Nope, it is the same packaging. I bought it a few months ago and it had the silver slip cover. Mine is still intact right now and I hope it stays that way.
We're Texas.

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 06:29 AM

Since this series appeared originally on HBO and has never been released to commercial theaters, I've moved the thread to our new TV-on-DVD section.

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 04:08 PM

Ah. So I'm not the only one to experience a "glue malfunction".

Oh well, small annoyance for what is otherwise an excellent set, a must-buy for any "space nut".

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   KyleC

KyleC

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 01:39 AM

My glue dried up before I even got it. I got this as a gift for xmas in 98 and I opened it the first time and the plastic slot just slid right off. I also plan to DL a cover from dvdcoverart. The packaging on this title is crap but the series itself is just amazing. I've seen it 5x already.

Scott what kind of paper did you print yours on? Do you have to cut the paper? How is it holding up now?

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   John Simon

John Simon

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 03:53 AM

This is definately one of those cases that really is suited for a replacement cover from DVDCoverArt. There's a few variations on that site that basically use scans of the case (not the slipcover), formatted for 4-disc Alphas.

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,663 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 09 2004 - 04:25 AM

Quote:
Scott what kind of paper did you print yours on? Do you have to cut the paper? How is it holding up now?

I use 11x17 high gloss photo paper and cut it down to legal size (I have a difficult time finding legal sized photo paper). The cover looks very professional -- it looks just like an original cover. Since the cover slides inside the plastic of a standard 4-disc alpha or amaray case, there are no durability issues.

Standard 8.5x11 photo paper works for single disc amaray cases, but it's not long enough for the larger multi-disc cases.

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   KyleC

KyleC

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 05:09 AM

Where should I get the paper, Staples? I'm printing covers for TNG, DS9, and From the Earth to the Moon.

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,663 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 09 2004 - 10:38 AM

Any office supply or computer store should carry oversized photo paper. You may want to check the online stores for Staples, OfficeMax, Office Depot and CompUSA to see who has the best price.

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 02:17 PM

Are all sets affected by this "glue" problem? or just the selected "few".

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Brian E

Brian E

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 04:18 PM

Haven't had a glue problem with my trays (bought the set the day it came out), but the silver sleeve on my set came apart about a year ago.
~Brian

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 02:49 AM

If this is a re-release I hope it doesn't self destruct like mine did. Disc one does not allow me to play the Apollo VII episode and Disc three is spit right out. Do a forum search on this title and you will see that I was not alone. As far as I know no one has gotten any response from HBO or Warners about this problem. If am wrong I would love to know as I hate sitting on such an expensive unplayable set. FYI: I was able to view the set twice and problem occured about a year later.

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Jeff>K>B

Jeff>K>B

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 05:03 PM

Same self-destructing packaging as many of you. Has anyone here purchased the attractive metal cases from Paul Champagne (designpaulchampagne.com)? The box for this series is the one that I would be most likely to buy, although the boxes for assembling your own collections of "The Terminator", "The Matrix", and "Jurassic Park" look very interesting.

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit

• 377 posts

Posted February 11 2004 - 03:32 PM

What's the OAR on this? I just got a very cheap VHS copy (blind buy) and was wondering if I should have gone with DVD for the correct aspect ratio?

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted February 11 2004 - 04:04 PM

Its in Fullscreen...I will have to check it out and get back to you.
We're Texas.

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Neil White

Neil White

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted February 11 2004 - 04:07 PM

Jeff, full frame.

N