What's new

Where to buy stuff (1 Viewer)

Mark Thomas

Auditioning
OK troops, now that you've got mr going in the right direction, where do you think is a good place to purchase said stuff. I looked in the HT for sale section, but didn't get the answer I was looking for.

I would never order something from a catalog or internet outfit without having listened to or seen it first. So, say I find that must have killer TV monitor at Sears. I just jot the model number down and then buy it from who??? We have a Circuit City here but no Best Buy (my daughter lives in Indiana and they have a BB, seven hours away). How about the 10,000 internet places, yes,no?

I like the idea of local service and warranties and a place to gripe if I have to, but I like to keep as much money in pocket as I can for other things too. Is there enough difference in vendors to even look around- other than my example, Sears, seems to to be MUCH higher than CC or BB?

Where do you all get your stuff?

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
OK, lets say you do buy that killer TV from an internet outfit. You'll have to pay shipping - $$$. Plus, if something does go wrong with it what are you going to do, ship it back? - $$$$.
And you know what most of those internet customer service reps are like. I agree, speakers, recievers, DVD players, you know, the smaller stuff, might be OK to buy from an internet source and save a few bucks. But for that killer TV I think you might be better off buying locally. BTW, Sears does have a good history of price matching.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I would check the "For Sale" section here at the HTF. I have bought quite a few things from here.
For larger items, I try to find someone close enough to me where I could drive to pick them up. I bought my SVS from a HTF'er in Detroit and my main speakers from a HTF'er in Toledo. Both within reasonable driving distance, both great people to deal with.
I recently bought a DVD player from a HTF'er but that was small enough to ship. The player worked great & I got a heck of a deal.
Just a thought.......

Ray Tseng

Auditioning
Once you got the model down, say it's a higher end manufacturer like sony/toshiba/etc. Go to that manufacturer's site and look for authorized dealers in your area. Look for the independents: like " Hi-fi".

They should be able to beat the prices of the chain stores. Warranties will be covered by an insurance group such as GE, but this is one of the many issues where you can bargain/haggle on.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Both my TV purchases were done at a regional chain that was willing to dicker or price match. Savings from an internet source were not usually significant enough given the factors you mentioned.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I bought mine on-line.

It was cheap, and has worked out well for me.

60" Philips 60PP9202 from www.electronicsalley.com
$1248 to my door.

The deals are out there on the net to make it worthwhile, just depends on how hard you look once your set on which make and model your going with.

I can say for the 100's of products I have had to wait for ordered online, the HDTV killed me the most, but in the end probably ended up being one of my best purchases from an online source.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I always check out www.epinions.com before I buy anything. Just to get an unbiased opinion on a product.. and, they also have links to the cheapest vendors of that product. I bought my parents a camera through there once, but, I don't know if I'd buy a big screen TV... unless it was really a good deal.

For DVD's, you usually can't beat www.deepdiscountdvd.com.

DavyD

Auditioning
Wally Bal, Can you post that advice on "Best places to to Buy in NJ" I will be soon in the market
Thanks
Davy

WallyBal

Grip
For Sony products, their is a little video store in Linden on the corner of Wood Ave. & Elizabeth Ave. Next to the Carvel. In the shopping center. They don't have anything on display but they can get it for you at good prices. Ask for John. They know the Sony's fairly well.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Something that's not being mentioned here needs to be: It's not cool to go into a b&m store and take up a salesperson's time when, all along, you plan to buy whatever you're looking at from an online vendor.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I like to shop B&M just for the fewer hassled returns. Lord only knows what you'll go through with a bad TV.

But for media (DVDs, CDs) you can't go wrong with the larger selection & lower prices of the internet.

But oddly, with the exception of running the register, I have no use for salespeople. Thanks to the internet I've already researched by my options, know which store has the best deal, and probably know more about the wares than the salesperson anyway. But it's good to have someone else risk the hernia in moving a 34" tube TV.:D

DavyD

Auditioning
walt,
Thanks for the tip regarding store in Linden, Where is just where I happen to live. I'm at the the Linden train station every morn, but never noticed it.
Ever deal with Disco Electronics on Rt22 in Springfield? They use to have good prices.have not been there in awhlie

JimMAC

Agent
I think you should support your local Hi-Fi/Audio shops, the good ones usually spend a lot of time learning the features of the equipment and stand by their sales. This way you keep the money in the local economy, and you can always bring in the internet price and see how close they will come. It is worth the extra to avoid equipment problems and high shipping costs. Of course, there are some items that you cannot find locally and with these the internet is the best, and once again I think reputation is important. Watch out for the gray market items on the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks