What's new

Onkyo 6.1 speakers - SKS-HT510 - Any good? (1 Viewer)

mufaddal

Auditioning
Any opinions on these? They're on sale at circuitcity for $199

"dual 5 ¼-inch woofer front speakers, a dual 4-inch woofer center channel speaker and three 4-inch woofer surround / surround back speakers, 150-watt subwoofer"

That's the description from Onkyo's site. If you need anymore info/numbers let me know

I will be hooking this up to either 6.1 reciever (maybe H/K AVR 230) or 7.1, depending on if I find another rear reciever. They will be going in a room that's 20 x 15 x 9, and will be used for movies.

I am also opened to any reciever/speaker suggestion as I am still planning my HT

Let me know what you guys think - Thanks!

PS - I'm on a budget so please keep that in mind!! :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
As I have said in other threads, I have the Onkyo SKS-500 5.1 and think it sounds great for the price ($129). There was another thread on these speakers recently so do a quick search for more info. Gene

mufaddal

Auditioning
Thanks Gene. I tried searching but only found one thread, that didnt have anything useful.

Kamal_G_B

Auditioning
hav a listen to Polk Audio RTi 8 series - well worth a small investment- good clarity- drives well off onkyo or HK receiver!
bye:emoji_thumbsup:

AaronJB

Second Unit
I had the Onkyo speakers for a while in a second system and have since upgraded.

I'll start off by saying that, for the price, these are certainly good. The Onkyo speakers are considerably larger than most HTIB speakers, and generally have good build quality.

However, while they put forth a very listenable sound, they do have a few concerns - the speakers don't provide low-bass that's very tight or well-defined. I was never terribly thrilled with the quality of the center. While dialogue and overall clarity were fine, the speaker had a very "closed-in" sound. The surrounds are fine, if a little boxy and slightly hard to place just right. Although some people seem to dislike the subwoofer, I think it's a pretty nice one.

For $199, they're quite nice. However, don't be surprised if, in a 5-6 months, you start to want check out potential upgrades.

If you do decide to go w/the Onkyos, Onkyo has additional "back surround" speakers on their website (shoponkyo.com) for $40 each.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I researched that speaker package last year and something that scared me off was there was the odd comment about the 8" sub not being powerful enough.
I eventually bought separate speakers with the 10" Dayton sub. If I listen to the opening of "Attack of the Clones" with the Dayton it really shakes my house!!

FarhadB

Auditioning
I am very picky with sound and that Center speaker did not cut it for me. Left and right were ok but needed treble boost, making the center problem even more noticable. The sub is great for movies and boomy for music. Overall, nice for the price.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Your'e right Mufaddal. I did a search and came up empty. I did back-track and found the thread I was thinking of, but not much there either. Someone did recommend the JBL NSP1II for $205 (but no sub) and a Dayton 10" sub for $150 on-line but that's almost twice as much. Supposed to sound pretty good though. I think the Onkyo 510 is about the best you will do for $200. But remmember, the "experts" say you should spend more for speakers than receivers. But, come to think of it, I didn't either! Good luck with your decision. BTW, I kept the sub and replaced the center with an Cerwin Vega CV-5, also with dual 5 1/4 woofs. Made a difference. Gene

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks