-

Photo
- - - - -

MASH Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Randy Gray

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted February 06 2004 - 03:38 PM

I noticed on the DVD season boxed sets that there is an option to view them with or without a laugh track. Is there a way to find out which episodes were originally broadcast with the laugh track and which ones wasn't? I remember seeing some reruns with AND without and would like to be able to view these episodes as they were originally broadcast. Can anyone help?

- Randy

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted February 06 2004 - 03:43 PM

I don't know about a list, but this is what I do know. There is an episode in season 3 (1 of my favorites actually) that takes place entirely in the OR. This was recorded without a laugh track, because it was policy to not use the laugh track whenever they were working in the OR, at least that was an explanation I had been given. So on this episode there is no audio track with the laugh track on it.

I can't think of any others that didn't have 1, well I'm not sure but the interview might not have had one and that is from season 4, but I don't listen to the tracks with the laugh track anyway so I wouldn't know.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted February 07 2004 - 02:23 AM

My understanding was that the producers always wanted to air the show without a laugh track, but were forced to add one by the network. I recall hearing that the show did air in England without the laugh track. The DVDs give North American audiences their first chance to watch the show as it was originally intended - 20 years after the fact.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted February 07 2004 - 01:56 PM

Some of the last-season episodes air in syndication without the laugh track, although I think it was in there originally.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted February 07 2004 - 02:05 PM

"Sometimes You Hear The Bullet" plus the two "Interview" episodes aired without laugh tracks. I also think the "dream" episode (not on DVD yet) had no laugh track.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted February 07 2004 - 03:59 PM

I saw one on TV a few days ago without a laugh track. The whole episode was seen through the eyes of one of the patients. (I don't know the name of the episode or what season it was from, though.)