What's new

Fess Parker Daniel Boone series (2 Viewers)

ShawnC

Agent
Does anyone know if there are plans for these to be released on DVD anytime soon? Last I heard, Fox has the rights to this series and I'd love to have it to go along with Disney's Davy Crocket series.

Jim-M

Second Unit
That's one I'd get too. There are essentially no new programs that take place during the 1700's-1800's anymore (at least that I'm aware of), so if these came out on DVD they are a more compelling buy than other types of TV stuff coming out.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I just now spoke with a representative from Liberty International Entertainment, Inc. They are the ones that have the actual rights for the release of "Daniel Boone" on DVD. I was told that within the next 4-6 weeks their website will post details on the first season boxed set!

http://www.libertyinteractive.com

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yep, the series is on the way courtesy of Liberty, as Michael mentioned. This has been in the works for months now, and hopefully we will hear/see something from Liberty in the next month as the rep stated.

Gary "I'm really looking forward to this show being released - it's been at least 25 years since I've watched it" O.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I hope I was correct in understanding this when conversing over the phone: apparently Liberty has license to but will not actually be releasing the majority of shows listed on their site (includes "Peter Gunn", "Yancy Derringer" and "Mr. Lucky", among others). They would actually be selling distribution rights to another vendor for those.

Apparently, this is not true in the case of "Daniel Boone" which is why, on their site the show is more prominently displayed, with mention made to its 40th anniversary, remastering, cast members listed on temp. box art, etc. Or it could just be that a yet to be named distributor is involved with this release.

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! I'm really excited about getting this series. I can remember watching it back in the 1960's and haven't seen it since.

LibertyInteractive's website states that these are remastered from the original negatives so it should be a high quality release.

Can't wait to get my hands on this one! Even after all these years that catchy theme song from the show comes right back to me.

(starts to sing): "Daniel Boone was a man. Yes a big man!
With an eye like an eagle and as tall as a mountain was he....." :D

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
From the little info I've gathered, it's unclear as to whether Liberty will be producing and distributing the dvds themself, or will licence out the dvds to another company (maybe like Image or MPI). That's the only thing I can't figure out.

Gary "I am really looking forward to this series coming out too - I hope there is no major holdup if Liberty does need to find a company to create and distribute the dvds" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I'd hazzard a guess and say that they're the licensors of "Daniel Boone," judging by a few of the other series that they have listed, i.e., "Peter Gunn," which had a limited DVD release (32 episodes) from A&E, and "The Invisible Man," for which Dark Sky will be releasing season 1 in the near future.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I was born in 1968, while Daniel Boone was still in production and on NBC.

But I haven't seen the show myself the first time until it was rerun on a long dead UHF station from Wilmington, Delaware in the mid 1980s. It was also around that time that Pat Robertson's CBN cable was airing that and a lot of other old TV series.

The first year (1964-1965) was the only one shot in black & white, and Albert Salmi was a regular. The theme song that first year wasn't as polished as the second season.

They modified the theme a few times during the 6 years the show was on. The lyrics were always the same, but the orchestration and the men singing it were different.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

The presence of Salmi as "Yadkin" is the main reason I'm thrilled by the prospect of getting the first year of DB on dvd. Albert was a marvelously gifted and under-rated actor and was expected by many to become, back in the 50's, the next Brando. He chose the character actor path to remain low key, enabling him to be neither forced into becoming a sycophant nor a snob. Albert Salmi's story is exceptionally well told in Sandra Grabman's "Spotlights and Shadows".

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I liked the late Albert Salmi too, and in the mid 1970s he was a regular on the contemporary lawyer series Petrocelli, where he played Pete, Tony Petrocelli's private investigator who was rarely seen not wearing a cowboy hat and western-style boots.

Of course the main draw on that show was Susan Howard as Tony's hot wife. :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm not buying Daniel Boone on DVD though.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Here's an incredible trailer that Liberation put out showing how much "Daniel Boone" has benefited from the restoration process. I viewed the Quicktime version after several attempts at the Windows Media Player proved futile.

Gary "the show is gonna look great on dvd - hope it comes out soon" O.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I share your enthusiasm, Gary. Really haven't seen much of "Daniel Boone" in ages. I recall an independent station rerunning it in the mid-80s, but I didn't get to catch it very often. Plus, I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think they even ran the first-season b&w episodes. Those are especially unfamiliar to me. Anyway, this is certainly something I'm going to put on my 'dvd' agenda. Always liked Fess Parker!

michael_ks

Screenwriter
The restoration quality is indeed amazing. I'll probably play this clip three or four times today for some of my 'classic tv fan' co-workers.

Here's some additional news posted on Liberty's site:

Daniel Boone – Digitally restored and re-mastered for sparkling resolution, Daniel Boone is the enduring story of America’s classic frontier hero, his family and fellow settlers, in 7-successful seasons of critically acclaimed NBC series entertainment. Fess Parker, television’s first Davey Crockett, is the legendary Daniel Boone. Fess is available to provide customized promotional and marketing interstitials to help drive viewers to the series. Each episode combines exhilaration and suspenseful action to tell the story of the American frontier. (165 x 60 min episodes available NOW)

This tells me that Fess Parker might very well provide episode commentary and interviews. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as though a distributer has picked the series up at this point...

Jeff#

Screenwriter
They need to make a minor correction to their synopsis, because Daniel Boone was on for 6 years, not 7. NBC cancelled it in 1970.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
What I don't understand is how Fox let this show go. This was owned by Fox for 40 years. Just curious as to how this wound up with this company. Anyone know? It's a good thing though as if it was still with Fox it would never have a prayer of coming out (or being remastered for that matter). Even though Fox is the best, as I'm always being told. Best at what, I still haven't figured out yet.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Good question, Michael. I have no idea how Liberty got ahold of DB. But I'm as glad as you are that it's out of the hands of Fox.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Since I'm still young (late 30s) and I remember the 1980s reruns of this show, I noticed instantly that the trailer's expanded version of Daniel Boone's theme song was definitely from the 2nd season of the show. I don't recall the first season even having lyrics. (Well, maybe it did but it was weak compared to any later season).

By the way, the shot of the animated axe splitting the tree down the middle in the Daniel Boone opening credits with the sound effect to accompany the action kind of reminded me of Buffy swinging a flaming torch at a demon in the opening montage to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In the earliest seasons of that modern series, somebody can be heard and seen screaming in the theme.

There aren't too many series that use a sound effect heard over the part of the music gimmick. I think maybe Daniel Boone was one of the first. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks