-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Full Details: Disney's "Aladdin"!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
157 replies to this topic

#141 of 158 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted May 24 2004 - 01:22 PM

Quote:
They'll probably alter the "good teenagers take off your clothes" line

http://www.snopes.co...lms/aladdin.htm
-Jay

#142 of 158 Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted July 19 2004 - 08:13 PM

Here's a great look at the Gift Set:

Posted Image

#143 of 158 Rob Dwyer

Rob Dwyer

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted July 20 2004 - 10:51 AM

Ok, sorry to steer this thread in a completely different direction, but I've been wondering this for years and hope there's going to be something on the DVD regarding this. Like pencil tests if it even got that far.

I remember hearing years ago a box set of Disney music with The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin. However, the Aladdin songs were quite different, and were refered to in the book that came with the set as unused songs from a different version of Aladdin. "Friend Like Me" was the only song I remember being common between the two, but the version in this set was much slower, with more swing.

Time seems to have stolen most of my memories of this, as the only other thing i remember is it came in a red box and the front sorta looked like sheet music.

Anyone have any details on this?

#144 of 158 Luis Esp

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted July 20 2004 - 11:19 AM

Looking at it right now. It's called "The Music Behind The Magic" The Musical Artistry of Alan Menken, Howard Ashman and Tim Rice.

It's a 4 cd set with a very nice booklet that includes many songs and demos from Little Mermaid, Beauty and The Beast and Aladdin.

Disc 3 & 4 are dedicated to Aladdin with disc 4 all demo tracks for the score.
I'm not nice...people just make that assumption of me.

#145 of 158 AndyVX

AndyVX

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted July 20 2004 - 01:00 PM

Quote:
To me, and I'd say most of those who object, the real issue is about keeping the original film available.

My thoughts exactly. It's this kind of thing that really angers me with some companies. I really don't care if they want to go and muck about with their films, but at the same time let me have the version of the film which I saw in the theater. That's the version I know and love, and that's the version I want to pay to see.
Andrew

#146 of 158 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,928 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 20 2004 - 01:33 PM

Sadly, in the interest of political correctness, the original version will likely never see the light of day again.Posted Image
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#147 of 158 Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

• 1,494 posts

Posted July 20 2004 - 04:25 PM

I agree Ernest on seeing it with a crowd. And, in a larger light, that's why no home theater, no matter how sophisticated the sound or great the picture, will ever replace the moive-going experience for me. That communal element is just missing in the house.

#148 of 158 Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,691 posts

Posted July 21 2004 - 12:32 AM

Ashman died long before ALADDIN was completed. The songs that he and Menken wrote were done for an earlier, much different, version of the story. That's why many of them didn't survive in the final film and Tim Rice had to be brought in as lyricist. At least one of the songs, "Proud of Your Boy" is being included on the dvd, although not in the film proper. It was originally to be sung to Aladdin's mother who, as we all know, isn't in the final film.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#149 of 158 TomWoodward

TomWoodward

Second Unit

• 358 posts

Posted July 29 2004 - 09:50 AM

We've posted some menu shots here if you're interested...
Tom Woodward
DVDActive.com

#150 of 158 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,928 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 29 2004 - 12:31 PM

At least the menus look good, but I'm still not buying.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#151 of 158 Chris_Marin

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted September 18 2004 - 12:46 PM

We now have our full, detailed review of the October 4th UK release of Aladdin: Platinum Edition here, the set looks to be virtually identical to the US release content-wise.

Quote:
Snippet:
Aladdin represents a milestone in Disney's return to the top in animated film making after a lacklustre 80's, and belongs in every collection. Ron Clements, John Musker, Alan Menken, Tim Rice and the late Howard Ashman got together a supremely talented group of performers and artists to build on the groundwork laid by The Little Mermaid and Beauty And The Beast in bringing the Disney magic back to the screen, ironically with an anarchic film that is often as far from the Disney style as you could imagine.

This DVD set is superb, and one of the most in depth looks at animation I've seen. We get to see early concepts, rough animation, reference footage, deleted footage, and more, though most importantly we get to see the often unsung people who actually did all the work long after the actors had cashed their pay cheques. The lack of any input from Robin Williams is a shame, but otherwise the extras on these discs give you just about everything you need to know.

#152 of 158 Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted September 18 2004 - 02:45 PM

"...ironically with an anarchic film that is often as far from the Disney style as you could imagine."

This is not accurate -- the history of Disney animation is full of moments of wild abandon, surrealism, and yes, even outright anarchy. The *stereotype* is that Disney's work was laid-back and safe, but the *experience* and *actual history* of Disney's work is quite the oppposite. The character animation of the Genie leans heavily on the work of Tex Avery, of that there is no denying, but the hellzapoppin visual energy of his scenes can be traced all the way back to Ward Kimball's work in long-unappreciated The Three Caballeros. In fact, there is even an homage to The Three Caballeros in the genie's first scene, when he turns into three sombrero-wearing mini-genies.

I suppose I could make a list of the wildest moments in Disney animation, and demonstrate why Aladdin was merely a return to that side of the Disney tradition -- Bumble Boogie, After You've Gone, the Mad Tea Party, Pink Elephants on Parade, Blame it on the Samba, Mars and Beyond, scores upons scores of Goofy and Donald cartoons, Ward Kimball's "Adventures in Music" series -- you watch all these and you realzie that Aladdin is not as unique as it seemed. After 20 years of films like Robin Hood, The Fox and the Hound, and The Great Mouse Detective and Oliver and Co., I can see how it was a breath of fresh air -- but in comparison to the Walt-era work and Ward Kimball's work in particular -- it really isn't that "out there" and in fact, compared to some of these, it is really quite safe.

#153 of 158 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted September 19 2004 - 06:46 AM

Aladdin originally had a different ending. Is that anywhere to be found on the dvds? (It originally was a reprise of the song "Arabian Nights".

#154 of 158 Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted September 19 2004 - 08:02 AM

They used the reprise of "Arabian Nights" at the end of the DTV crap-fest, Aladdin and the King of Thieves

#155 of 158 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted September 19 2004 - 08:23 AM

What about the deleted song "Humiliate the Boy"? It probably wasn't animated but perhaps a story reel exists for it.
-Jay

#156 of 158 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,221 posts

Posted September 19 2004 - 11:32 AM

Quote:
What about the deleted song "Humiliate the Boy"? It probably wasn't animated but perhaps a story reel exists for it.

It's on the DVD.
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#157 of 158 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted September 19 2004 - 03:59 PM

Cool!
-Jay

#158 of 158 JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland