What's new

Nice Bookshelf Speakers (1 Viewer)

Will^B

Grip
I am trying to find a nice pair of bookshelf speakers to hook up to the 41tx or 45tx im planning on getting soon, these bookshelves are gonna be for my PC, as i already have nice speakers for my HT setup.

I have looked around and only really come up with:

JBL e30 (or e20)
JBL S26
or the Fosgate FA61.0

I was wondering if anyone owns any of these or has heard them, and or any other ones you could possibly mention that you feel would be better, im only looking to speed between 150-350 dollars (US), Thanks in advance.

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Jbl S26II and they are nice speakers. Keep in mind you need a bit of room for these. They are quite large for bookshelves and they weigh 22 pounds a piece. They are also getting a bit hard to come by.

Greg

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
I used to sell the 26II, and it is a terrific speaker.

It's starting to look like you're going to have to source a pair second hand, or from a clearing house.

Similar to the 26II, and at about the same retail, check out the Mission M32. It's a big bear of a bookshelf speaker, and does not give up too much bottom end to it's tower speaker brother, the M33.

Mike Carter

Agent
I just got a pair of Samson Resolv65 Referance Studio mointors. You'd be suprised at how many pro recording is done with these. Anyway I got tham for my office computer and run it all through a Yamaha RXV2092 in 2ch stereo. The Samson Resolv65's were on sale for $199!!!! I have compared these to much more costly high end home audio speakers and these Samon's are much more "real" sounding. You can alo get the Tannoy Reveals for about $299 and these are pro studio monitors.

he Samson Resolv 65 also come as an active/powered speaker so then you cn plug them right into your computer or run a cd play direct to them.

Will^B

Grip
Hmm after your comments and closer inspection I think the S26 are gonna be too big for the application im looking for, 17 inches is huge :)

Kinda at a lose of ideas, seems i missed out as a buncha speakers i've seen that would work great are no longer sold like the Infinity s-26 etc,

Anyone know of some nice bookshelves that are around 13-15 inches? :)

I guess if all else fails i could get the JBL s26 and just deal with there size hehe.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I know you are asking about bookshelves, but you might look into the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 computer speakers. I know that computer speakers aren't usually that great, but these sound really good and would fall at the bottom of your price range.

Also, the Klipsch SB-1 and SB-2 both fall into your size specifications.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You're gonna wanna skip the Pioneer Elite 41... it's just a rebadged VSX-D811, and while it's a great receiver in the sub-$300 range, it's not a true elite and not worth what it goes for. The 43TX or 45TX would be a great choice.

As for speakers, the JBL S38s are about the same size as the S26s, but are made to be used horizontaly (17" wide instead of tall). They're pretty much the best bang/buck in the Studio line and are available for as little as $250 a pair online right now.

Paradigm Titans or Focuses would also be a good choice, as would Athen AS-B1s or B2s. You could probably pick up some used B&W 600s or 601s in your price range if ya check ebay and audiogon. Used Paradigm Mini-Monitors or Mini SE MK3s would also probably be in your price range.

There's an interesting thread on AER Pisces over at the AVS forum. They're a 6.5" bookshelf w/ time-aligned top-mount tweeter, real wood veneer, and appear to be made using the same Hi-Vi Research tweeter and mid-woofer used by Swan's in the Diva line. They're available on yahoo shopping for $200 a pair and on ebay for around $150 a pair. I'm very interested in picking up a pair for my own computer speaker use.

cabreau

Second Unit
Paradigm Atoms would be fine. Go give them a listen at your local B&M and you'll be walking out with a pair for $179 or less.

Mike Carter

Agent
Trying to give you a HUGE hint here....go to your local Guitar Center, Sam Ash or indepent pro full line music instrument store. Go to the pro-audio section/recording section. There are ton's or near field monitors or book self speakers as you all here call them. These speakers are of much, much better quality than your typical media or consumer speaker..all at around the same price or less.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

There is a big difference between bookshelf speakers and near field monitors. However, in this situation near field monitors would likely work very well, assuming you will be sitting at the computer when you're using them. If you're planning on using the speakers to listen to music while you do other stuff around the house, you could do better with regular bookshelf speakers.

cabreau

Second Unit
What's the difference between near field monitors and bookshelves? Do near field monitors only sound good when you are NEAR them?

Mark_H

Stunt Coordinator
Will:

The JBL S26 speakers are fantastic for the prices you can find them at now.

I just bought two pairs of S26II's from OneCall.com for $140 per pair plus shipping. They still have them in stock and they are an authorized JBL dealer.

http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_15013.htm

The S-Center is harder to find now, but if you look around you should be able to get one for $150-200. Series I or II it won't matter which unless you want to leave the grills off and have them match.

I got a good deal from a HTF member on a used S-Center and my total package for the five S-Series speakers shipped was $410.

I can't believe how good they sound, for that kind of money I don't think there is much that compares.

I guess the S26's are a bit large compared to some bookshelf speakers, but most that are smaller are going to sound like it. I was upgrading an N-Series setup and Demo'd some N38's as mains so the S26's had pretty good WAF for mains.

She wasn't quite as pleased when my N24 surrounds came down and S26's went in their place, but she's used to them now and thinks they're fine. Using Phil's picture hanging hardware is quick and cheap, I put the bottoms about 6'4" off the floor.

Good Luck.

AaronJB

Second Unit
Another recommendation here for the s38IIs; while big, they are excellent speakers and can be had for a fraction of their original $599 retail - most online stores have them for $235-250. They are discontinued, so they will be gone soon.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Well actually yes, kind of. They are optimized for near field listening (i.e. for mixing in a studio with the speakers on top of the board while working at the board). Now I'm sure many would sound OK from a distance also. But at the same time, how many of us would use PA speakers for HT? Sure, they'll work, but you can usually do better.

Will^B

Grip
Wow thanks for all the replies so far, its been really really helpfull :)

Hmm..

-: Stephen Hopkins- Yea, I really want the 45 but locally they want retail even though i've told them many times its outdated and there is newer models out (retail is like 1,200(us)), /shrug I guess if i could find a safe place to order a 45 from i would.

-: Mike Carter- All the privatly owned and or local shops are incredibly over priced, asking retail or higher.. This town is horrible for purchasing stuff.

-: SethH- Yea those Klipsch Promedia 2.1 are nice but im trying to replace my JBL 2.1 computer setup i already have with something that would sound more real to life I guess, As for the Klipsch SB-2 Those seem like really nice speakers and at only 15 inches thats a huge plus, do you have personal experience with these?

Yea, I dunno im starting to lean toward the JBL S26, I mean damn 140 for them is insane... I'd hate to pass it up even if i dont use them for my desk rofl, squeeze them into my HT setup somehow or something :)

Thanks again for all the replies, been scouring froogle.google and google all last night.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Ascend Acoustic CBM-170. link Aren't those fairly pricey receivers for your use? I would look into one of the all digital Panasonics that are getting so much attention. The Panny XR-25 you should be able to find around $225 and the XR-45 is $299 at jandr.com

Mark_H

Stunt Coordinator
Will:

Responded to your PM.

Yes, I think the S26II's from OneCall for $140 per pair is outstanding.

Last night I received the Eagles Concert DVD "Hell Freezes Over", my wife and I watched it together and I could not believe how good it sounded.

I upgraded from a JBL N-Series setup which sounded very good but the S26II / S-Center combo is outstanding.

I'm sure there are many better sounding setups available, but not for what I spent.

Get a chainsaw and make them fit, if you have to.

Shane K

Agent
I would also put in a vote for the JBLs. For the price they are hard to beat as long as you can still find them along w/ an S center.

Otherwise I am also a big fan of Athena's Audition stuff. You probably won't find them quite as low as the S26s but they aren't too terribly much more.

In regards to near field monitors, they would proabaly do a good job but chances are they aren't magnetically shielded and you would probably have a hard time finding a center to match.

Kinger

John S

Senior HTF Member
I am installing an HT room tomorrow with 3 pair of s26II's, I will let you know what I think. The AVR is a Denon 1804. Velodyne CHT-15 Sub. It is a pretty nice room, all accoustic treated and everything. May not be a fair comparison to a living room situation. He had his contractor put in nice shelfs for the speakers, and pre-wired with banana plugs even. I tried to sell him on 7.1 but he found the Denon 1804 on his own. I expect it to be a top notch setup really. Now if I could just get him to finally view some HD on his now over 3 year old RCA HDTV ready set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks