What's new

Master and Commander.....Details (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Here are the UK Region 2 specs. hances are this is what we will see over here in Region 1. The film will be released ion April 20th (April 12th in the UK), and will include the following:

-2-Disc Set
-Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
-Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1
-English Subtitles
-The Hundred Days: Making Of Featurette
-Peter Weir on Directing – In the Wake of O’Brian
-Cinematic Phasmids - Special Effects Documentary
-Sound Design Documentary
-Canon Sound – Interactive Sound Recording
-HBO First Look
-The Last Battle - Multi–angle studies
-Camera setups and split screen vignette
-Stills Galleries
-Inside look at I Robot

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Yeah, I'm trying to find out if the details on the US release are still under embargo now that the region two has been announced. Here's the artwork for the region two release anyway:

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Should be a great release, cant wait. Pity there is no commentary I am aware Weir doesn't like to do them but they could have put some of the other filmmakers on a track.

Alistair_M

Second Unit
Really disappointed there aren't commentaries with this release. I really liked Peter Weir's commentary on Dead Poets Society.

I hope its a mixup and there's really a commentary.

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Nope, the region one release isn't announced till next week. The interesting thing about those UK specs is that the BBFC (film classification in the UK) passed twenty minutes of deleted scenes the other day. Strangely enough though, they aren't mentioned on the press release.

David Prior

Insider
Alas, there is no commentary, but it wasn't for lack of trying, believe me. Peter Weir did give it careful consideration and I floated a couple of options by him, but in the end he just didn't want it on the disc. However, I did shoot a lengthy on-camera piece with him in which he directly addresses the viewer and talks about all the things you'd want to hear in a commentary. It's not scene specific, of course, but it's full of witty and wise anecdotes about the process of making the film. I shaped it into a segment called "In the Wake of O'Brian," and it is, in my humble opinion, really damn good. I hope that fills the commentary gap for most of you.

Cheers,

David Prior

StevenFC

Second Unit
That's cool with me David. I find most commentaries to be dreadfully boring anyway. Don't take this the wrong way--it looks like you've put together a fine set of extras, but I think DVD extras are in a rut. I'd like to see someone think outside of the box when it comes to extras. Why couldn't we see the movie premiere event? Or maybe actor rehearsals or screen tests? Maybe some on-camera interviews with critics. Or how about outtakes and bloopers? Maybe even take us behind the scenes of DVD production or movie production. I'd like to know how these things get put together. Take me through a day in the life of a gaffer or something. Let me watch a stressed out producer trying to get the DVD made. Now that would be entertaining.;)

I don't know, just something that makes people say "Wow, I've never seen that before!" I realize that there are many issues to overcome when it comes to extras, but I also know that the talent is in Hollywood to make it happen if it's possible.

Good luck with Master and Commander. I'm sure it will be a big seller. I know it will be on my shelf.

David Prior

Insider
Those are some interesting ideas, Steven, and one or two are things I've actually tried to do before. It's always a challenge to figure out a good way to present supplements, let alone the best way, and it's always on a case by case basis. Everybody likes deleted scenes, but some movies don't have any (Panic Room, for example). And screen tests, rehearsals and bloopers are traditionally the hardest things to get cleared. Since DVD took off and the mainstream started paying attention, it's become exceedingly difficult to sneak stuff through the way we used to. And with the vice of theatrical-to-home video windows ever tightening there's less time for archaeology. This isn't meant as an excuse for sub-standard work -- there's no excuse for that -- only to illustrate how times have changed.

But you know, innovation as an end in itself is problematic. There are only so many ways to skin a cat, so I have to rely on the idea that the subject itself is interesting and allow the ideas to come from the material on hand, rather than pursuing whatever the newest thing might be. I don't succeed all the time, maybe not even most of the time, but it's the only path to good work that I know of.

Cheers,

David Prior

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David,
Thank you for your comments about this release and your thoughts on dvd extras.

Crawdaddy

StevenFC

Second Unit
No offense intended David. I know DVD producers don't have an easy job. The time constraints must be very frustrating sometimes. There are some excellent DVDs out there. And I do appreciate the work that goes into making a DVD.

It's just that when Hollywood finds something that works (like all businesses) they tend to milk it until there's not a drop to be had. And I worry that they pass (or force) that philosophy onto those responsible for the DVD end of it. Art and commerce are two things that should probably never, but always seem to, mix.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Prior:

Glad you're "watching" and thank you for the Planet of the Apes 35th Anniversary Edition. Marvelous SE.

By the way, how about a 16x9 remaster of "The King and I"? At least port the LaserDisc extras over. Keep the 2.55 ratio. Pretty please? ;)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Why do I have the feeling that DTS won't make its way over to the States on this release?

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
David, can you tell me why there aren't any deleted scenes listed for the Master and Commander DVD? All my Crowe-fanatic-friends want deleted scenes. :) Thanks for any help you can give in answering this.

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Here are details for the US release :

US DVD special features:
•The Hundred Days Featurette
•HBO First Look: Master and Commander: The Far Side of The World
•"In The Wake of O'Brian" Peter Weir on Directing Featurette
•Cinematic Phasmids Special Effects Documentary
•Sound Design Documentary
•"The Last Battle" Multi-Angle Featurette
•Camera Setup and Split Screen Vignette
•4 Still Galleries
•First Look at I Robot
•DVD-ROM: "Canon Sound" Sound Recording Studio
•Widescreen Version
Enhanced For 16:9 TVs
•Dolby Digital
•English 5.1 Surround •English DTS Surround Sound •French Dolby Surround
•English Subtitles
•Spanish Subtitles

SRP is $29.99 US.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
DTS! Yes!

However, I could do without the HBO: First Look documentaries. Most of the time they're just fluff, pat on the back, oh everyone was a darling-type pieces. I'd rather have a hard core documentary film ala Jaws or The Frighteners as there was a lot of very nifty practical/model special effects created for this film by WETA as well as real ocean plates, etc. taken during an oceanic voyage to Antarctica (a facinating recreation of Shackelton's voyage unto itself, if my info. is correct!) where the filmmakers added some cinematographers to the crew.

Heck, make it a three disc "Superbit" like set!

Disc One: THE MOVIE ONLY for optimal audio and video quality. Far too often the discs are being crammed with stuff and the A/V suffers greatly.

Disc Two: Trailers (all 16x9 enhanced with 5.1 sound!!), TV spots, and various other promo material. Full Length documentary detailing the filming, extensive special effects, in depth interviews, etc.

Disc Three: The history surrounding the British naval fleet during this time period, real life "Masters and Commanders," details of life on board a ship, naval battles, etc. Get real, top-drawer historians and their perspectives, as well as the author of the books being adapted for this movie. Do something with National Geographic, the BBC, etc. This is an opportunity to educate people on this facinating aspect of history. Don't dumb it down either!!

That's what supplements should be: a detailed film class on a disc as well as potential for educating people on the real subject matter of the movie whenever applicable.

If all we get is "fluff" then why bother with the extras anyway!!??

Dan

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
David (Prior), it looks like there weren't any deleted scenes listed on this release. Are there any deleted scenes for this movie (I heard talk that the BBFC approved twenty minutes of deleted scenes and yet they aren't listed on the final specs, and I want to have it cleared up whether there are any deleted scenes to this movie) and will they be on a future release of Master and Commander?

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

David Prior

Insider
On one hand I'm surprised the deleted scenes aren't listed on the spec sheet and on the other I'm not; has the pre-release spec sheet ever been completely correct? But there are deleted scenes.

And Steven, no offense taken. I competely agree with you about the unfortunate mixing of art and commerce. Drives me nuts.

Cheers,

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks