What's new

Lucasfilm & THX rep at local HT shop in San Jose (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just for your information, this just came in my mail box. Any San Francisco Bay Area HTF members may not know that LaserLand Home Theater in San Jose will be hosting Rick Dean of Lucasfilm. He worked on the Phantom Menace DVD, he was the principal engineer for the THX digital mastering program and project supervisor for the DVD.
Also on hand is Donald Kum of THX. Both will be there on October 19 and 20th to discuss the DVD and answer questions as well as Donald discussing home theater design and room acoustics.
I may not make it, but I thought some of you will be. Since so many have noticed a difference in the Phantom Menace DVD's sound compared to the laserdisc, I'm sure you'll ask why the DVD and laserdisc have a sound difference. I don't have the DVD yet, so I don't know of such a discrepency.
Nelson

Luis A

Second Unit
Maybe someone can ask "are we going to get a bare bones DTS version?"
One can dream! L

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought I'd bump this post back to the top in case you Star Wars fans miss this info. Seems to be still a lot of Star Wars questions here that this guy might be able to answer for you. Sorry if it's a no-no.
Nelson

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys-
I thought I'd update you. If you are in the San Francisco Bay area, you might want to check out the event I posted above. I saw Rick Dean last night and he was very nice to take time to see the fans.
If you're interested, I posted my comments on page 9 of the long thread thread discussing the Phantom Menace DVD sound and stuff.
If you can go today, I'd recommend going and asking the man your questions about the audio and video and he will discuss the DVD creation I believe. I don't plan to go, so please post your learnings! He'll be there from 1 to 5pm.
Thanks, Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks