What's new

Doctor Zhivago DVD: Look At This! (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
dr_zhivago2.jpg

Go Here for more (Remember the film was shot in 35mm not 65mm):
http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/bign...tml#1003441999
[Edited last by Peter Kline on October 19, 2001 at 04:11 PM]

Margo

Agent
Okay... now I'm officially excited. I've had this disc on order (on and off again) for what seems like years now. This one really does look like it's been worth the wait.
smile.gif

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Y'know, Robert Harris praised the company who did this restoration with North By Northwest, but he said that the end result doesn't look like film. I saw NxNW, and I thought it looked great, but what should we be looking for? Why doesn't it look like film?

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
David,
I believe Mr. Harris stated, correctly, that the restoration on NXNW was done in the digital domain, rather then on film and thus would not be able to be shown theatrically because the resolution would be too low. Same I suspect on Doctor Zhivago.
Peter

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Yeah, I remember him saying that this restoration was done in a digital way and thus different from what he does, but he also said that the finished product looks great, but it doesn't look like film. What I'm asking is, what is it about this type of image that prevents it from looking film-like?
And there's a greater issue involved here. Do we want films that look like film, or films that look great, but not like film? I have a feeling that if this digital technique begins to catch on, you're going to see more people with reactions like you see with vinyls vs. cds. Presumably, cds are sonically superior, but a lot of people always like the way vinyl sounds better. I've got a few vinyls and I can't tell any difference, so maybe I'm blessed (or cursed).

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
I have never seen this film but will buy it sight unseen when it is released. I have really become a David Lean fanatic over the last 2 years - first with the Dickens stories in the Criterion Collection and then with LOA and BORK last year. I think he is truly one of the most visionary director's ever, and that his work stands the test of time is a real tribute. I am really looking forward to this release!!

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
David,
Without the exact quotes from Mr. Harris I can only guess what he meant, but I believe when he said "it doesn't look like film" he was refering to video in general. Lower resolution, not as good color pallette, etc. Video can only, in my opinion, give an approximation of what the original film based image looked like.
But I wouldn't worry about it, David. Video is what it is and when it is done properly, and Doctor Zhivago looks like it was done right , it is very good.
smile.gif

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Peter,
You're right, it does look great. By the way, the comments came from that topic "the Godfather transfer" which Robert Harris started. He makes a mention to the difference between the look of the Godfather transfer and NxNW.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That screen shot is also a fine example of why OAR is so important. That shot would not exist in p&s form.
I am looking forward to the release of this title. This is going to be a great autumn for adding classic films to the collection.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4
[Edited last by Scott Merryfield on October 19, 2001 at 06:23 PM]

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I'm truly excited about this! Dr. Z. has been missing from my collection since I saw it yanked in '98 and I have been counting the days since. Good to see that it looks so good. Looks like it was worth the wait...
- Joel
[Edited last by Joel Vardy on October 20, 2001 at 11:55 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks