Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lowest ceiling height for HT ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 DanielH

DanielH

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 09:27 AM

Going to be looking for a home soon, and one of my requirments is a finished basement for a HT. I was hoping for 2 rows of seating and i wanted ot know what you think the lowest ceiling height would be in order to have a good dedicated HT ? Thanks

#2 of 6 Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 11:31 AM

My theater will only have a 7' ceiling, I will have two rows so seating. I my original plan my seating riser was going to be 18", for obvious reasons the riser will only be 1' which will leave me 6'. It's a small trade off for a room that will be 30' long.

#3 of 6 Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted February 05 2004 - 03:00 AM

I plan to build a basement with 9' ceilings. I too want two rows of seating so the second tier is about 1' higher. I wonder how much more it costs compared to the standard 8'?

#4 of 6 Orlando

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted February 05 2004 - 03:38 AM

My basement now has a drop ceiling and because of floor supports and such. It is about 7' and all my speakers and projector and stuff are all hanging form the ceiling. My tall friends have to watch their head when they walk around but most of my family and friends are of the under 6' tall variety.

#5 of 6 ChadLB

ChadLB

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted February 05 2004 - 07:14 AM

I have 7' ceilings and I wouldn't want them any lower than that. I wish I had at least an extra foot or 2 though.

#6 of 6 Josh~H

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted February 06 2004 - 03:57 AM

I've been using my 7.5' tall HT, and it's been fine. If I didn't have an HVAC duct in front of my projector, I'd be able to have the screen up a bit higher, which I'd prefer. I'm also considering a second row of seating, and because of the projector location, I'll have to make the second row as short as possible. 8' would be better, 9' would be fantastic, but 7'-8' is fine if you're willing to be a bit creative.