-

Photo
- - - - -

"Lost in Space" Season One DVD's Flawed By Edited Episode Versions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 of 62 OFFLINE   Kipp Teague

Kipp Teague

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 05:32 AM

Despite never being a huge fan of the old "Lost in Space" TV series, I was considering purchasing the new season one box set. In reviewing comments on Amazon.com, however, and after ultimately signing onto the Yahoo Group "LostinSpace" to read details on alleged missing scenes, I will likely stay away from this product.

The first red flag was this review on Amazon.com:

"It may surprise many LOST IN SPACE fans to learn that the new LIS DVD set was not digitally remastered. LOST IN SPACE was originally shot and edited on 35mm negative film. Fox printed fine grain 35mm master positives for each black and white episode and color reversal intermediates for each color episode. That way they never have to touch their masters and risk damaging them. The 35mm positives were used to make the 16mm internegatives from which copies for the syndication episodes were originally struck. Fox stopped making and distributing these 16mm prints in 1992. But in the late 1980s Fox remastered all LIS episodes to one-inch videotape. These tapes served as the basis for virtually all LIS episodes seen since. They were used by the Sc-Fi Channel and also by Columbia House when they distributed the series on VHS in the mid 1990s. The Japanese laser discs were also made from these one-inch master tapes. When improvements in film-to-tape transfer technology were developed in recent years, a few episodes, around 8 or 9 I think, were remastered and released by Fox in the late 1990s on VHS. Sadly, however, these "DigiBeta" transfers were not used in preparing the DVD set. The DVDs were mastered from the one-inch transfers made in the late 1980s. They certainly look better than the laserdiscs, but the source is the same--one-inch videotape. We can only hope that Fox does digital transfers for seasons two and three and at some point goes back and remasters season one. I wouldn't put it past Fox to release all three seasons off the one-inch tapes, then a few years down the line remaster the whole series digitally (which is what they should have done in the first place) and release it again in three boxed sets just to gouge our wallets..."

(end of quoted Amazon.com review)

Next, over at DVDTalk.com, I found reports of missing scenes, with references to the Yahoo Group for additional details. In the group, a debate has been raging about various missing scenes and their significance, with some bothered by this and others not so bothered. Some posters suggested that others' memories were at fault, but one person backed his claim by posting a Windows Media file of a scene taken from an old Lost in Space videotape that is missing on the DVD version.

It would appear that Fox has rushed Lost in Space to market by using a old set of video masters trimmed for syndicated broadcast. As I mentioned, I was never a very big fan of this series, but I find this news very disappointing, and an ominous sign with regard to future TV releases on DVD.

#2 of 62 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted February 05 2004 - 07:34 AM

These issues (and others) have been discussed in length here:

http://www.hometheat....hreadid=159951

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#3 of 62 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted February 05 2004 - 09:32 AM

Quote:
It would appear that Fox has rushed Lost in Space to market by using a old set of video masters trimmed for syndicated broadcast

I would guess this to be true.

Coming off the heels of the Mary Tyler Moore
debacle, I think Fox feared a repeat with Lost
In Space

I'm not very happy that these episodes were
treated so poorly, but what can be done about
it now?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 62 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted February 05 2004 - 11:14 AM

Getting it right for Season 2 and 3 would be a start.

Is this true of all the episodes or just a few?

NO SALEPosted Image

#5 of 62 OFFLINE   ScottDombrowski

ScottDombrowski

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 05 2004 - 02:43 PM

From what I've read, some people have said that there are one or two seconds missing from some episodes! It couldn't be much more than that because of the sixteen episodes I've watched so far, they all come in over 51 minutes long. I can't imagine being that upset over seconds! I think this set is great. Yes, the picture quality probably could have been even better with a major restoration, but then they probably would have cost even more and then people would complain that they cost too much! I think they look far better than anything I've seen on VHS or tv.

#6 of 62 OFFLINE   Kipp Teague

Kipp Teague

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted February 05 2004 - 02:54 PM

The cut scene posted in Yahoo Groups was ten or fifteen seconds, if not more. This isn't the only scene cut, and the pattern logically points to edited episode masters. I am sure that many fans of the series are happy regardless. My interest in this series was at best nostalgic, however, and I was on the fence about purchasing the DVDs. The fact that the first season was not properly mastered for DVD (1" video masters were used) is enough to keep me away from it, and the incomplete episodes only cement my decision.

#7 of 62 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted February 14 2004 - 11:19 PM

I'm very happy with SEASON ONE, and am very anxious for Seasons 2 and 3. I really think it's a mistake to make a big stink out of a few seconds here or there, as this set is pretty darn agreeable overall. And all the squawking over "quality issues" is also overblown; these look fine.
The only thing this type of nitpicking will accomplish is possibly turning Fox off to the idea of releasing ANY future season sets; be they 51 minute eps or 50 minutes and 55 second eps....

I have to scratch my head about people who aren't even fans of the show and yet are staying away from the set because the video quality isn't super-state-of-the-art, and because some of the shows are missing seconds here or there (and believe me as a fan -- these aren't even noticeable; especially if you've never seen them at all!)

#8 of 62 OFFLINE   JohnSmith

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

• 554 posts

Posted February 15 2004 - 12:12 AM

I have to agree with the previous poster. The picture quality is very good-beats some newer films and TV shows. No edge enhancment and no graininess of Fox releases (ie Aliens) Great sound too. You can see skin detail.

I see nothing to complain about the picture quality issue. Buy the set and enjoy it.

The pain- the pain of it all!Posted Image

I think people complain because it's not in colour, widescreen anamorphic, DTS 5.1 24/96khz sound etc etc- and would prefer titles like "Armageddon"

#9 of 62 OFFLINE   Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted February 15 2004 - 06:39 AM

I just bought it...and LOVE IT! Brings back a lot of memories. I just hope they release seasons 2 and 3! Although, I wish there were some extras, just having all the episodes is great!

#10 of 62 OFFLINE   Jeff Koch

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted February 15 2004 - 08:47 AM

Sorry, but there's just no excuse for edited episodes! One of the most jarring cuts occurs during "RETURN FROM OUTER SPACE" at 35:35. This just isn't acceptable. I checked the Columbia House tape and it has the same wretched edit so it's the same master. At least the dvds look 100% better than those awful Columbia House tapes but there's still no excuse for edited episodes!

Jeff

#11 of 62 OFFLINE   ScottDombrowski

ScottDombrowski

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 16 2004 - 03:18 AM

I love this set too, and only hope that the rest of the seasons are released. I agree with others here that the quality is far from being as bad as some are making it out to be. I also find it amazing that so many people are making such a big deal out of seconds of footage being missing. I have no problems living with a few missing seconds and transfers from video when compared to five or more MINUTES cut from episodes on tv with much worse picture quality. The only other show from the 60s that I think has much better picture quality on DVD is The Dick Van Dyke Show and from what I understand, a lot of people outside the studio were involved in making that happen, so I think that's more of an exception.

#12 of 62 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 03:44 AM

Well, when I pay $70 for a set, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the shows be unedited.

For those who don't care, please enjoy the edited versions on your set. For those of us who do care, we'll just do without.

#13 of 62 OFFLINE   Lecagr

Lecagr

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted October 20 2009 - 02:05 AM

I like the Lost In Space DVD's, I'm not going to gripe if there is a very minor edit in a few episodes. Another good thing is Fox used single sided discs, unlike other series like Time Tunnel and White Shadow where there are double sided discs. My only complaint about the Lost In Space DVD's would be that the transfer quality looks rather soft on some 3rd season episodes. But again, that's a minor thing. I give two thumbs up to Fox for a doing a nice job with this release.

#14 of 62 OFFLINE   MBrousseau

MBrousseau

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts
  • LocationQuebec City, Canada

Posted October 26 2009 - 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecagr ">

My only complaint about the Lost In Space DVD's would be that the transfer quality looks rather soft on some 3rd season episodes. But again, that's a minor thing. I give two thumbs up to Fox for a doing a nice job with this release.
I will never forgive FOX for making such a rotten DVD job with my all time favorite Lost in Space series. Not only season 3 but especially season 1 suffered from a very bad film to tape transfer.  Occasionnaly, in season 1 episodes, you can clearly see waves of interference!  They were present in the VHS format, 10 years before the DVD release.  Thank God, FOX made things right for Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants with a real restoration and true digital film transfer.  Now, how about a new release for Lost in Space (why not blu-ray?) and this time, with French audio tracks for the first season... Show some heart for true LIS fans, FOX. 

<br />

</div>

<div class=
Girl power rules: Samantha, Jeannie, Jaime 
Come visit my You Tube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/ez2me2009

#15 of 62 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,378 posts

Posted October 27 2009 - 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrousseau 

I will never forgive FOX for making such a rotten DVD job with my all time favorite Lost in Space series. Not only season 3 but especially season 1 suffered from a very bad film to tape transfer.  Occasionnaly, in season 1 episodes, you can clearly see waves of interference!  They were present in the VHS format, 10 years before the DVD release.  Thank God, FOX made things right for Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants with a real restoration and true digital film transfer.  Now, how about a new release for Lost in Space (why not blu-ray?) and this time, with French audio tracks for the first season... Show some heart for true LIS fans, FOX. /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif
Well it HAS been five years now, so maybe it's time for them to revisit LIS for the growing blu-ray market. I know I'd buy it right away, seeing as how the complaints above kept from buying LIS on dvd in the first place. I used to have the Columbia House tapes; god they took up a lot of room. I sold them on ebay ages ago. I needs me some blu-ray LIS.

#16 of 62 OFFLINE   Joe Tor1

Joe Tor1

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted October 27 2009 - 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley View Post

Well it HAS been five years now, so maybe it's time for them to revisit LIS for the growing blu-ray market.

I’m all for revisiting LOST IN SPACE – but first FOX needs to complete VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA! 

Tell you what, FOX… I’ll buy ‘em both! ...Okay?  

#17 of 62 OFFLINE   Lecagr

Lecagr

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted November 01 2009 - 04:11 AM

I doubt they would release Lost In Space on blu-ray after already putting it out on DVD. Besides that, there are problems with blu-ray and some in the video industry feel blu-ray is a doomed format. And the Lost In Space DVD's are just fine for the most part, I won't quibble over a few minor issues.

#18 of 62 OFFLINE   Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted November 01 2009 - 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecagr

. Besides that, there are problems with blu-ray and some in the video industry feel blu-ray is a doomed format. And the Lost In Space DVD's are just fine for the most part, I won't quibble over a few minor issues.
WHAT PROBLEMS?

#19 of 62 OFFLINE   Lecagr

Lecagr

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted November 07 2009 - 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas_Michael 

WHAT PROBLEMS?

There are numerous articles on the internet which talk about the demise of blu-ray. Check them out.

#20 of 62 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,013 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 07 2009 - 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecagr View Post

There are numerous articles on the internet which talk about the demise of blu-ray. Check them out.

There were definitely plenty of those articles (that were generally biased to some degree) about a year ago but I haven't seen any for months. I would assume that has something to do with the big increases that Blu-ray has made in the last two years. I'm not saying that Blu-ray is going to overtake DVD any time soon but the growth that Blu-ray has shown recently disproves any fear mongering about its demise.