What's new

What was your very first DVD? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
With the release of the special edition of My Fair Lady, I was struck with nostalgia over my first ever DVD purchase of the first My Fair Lady release. So I'm curious what others' first purchases were, revealing not only what was available at the time, but what each considered the first "must have" disc for their collections.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
My first DVD purchase (back in 98) was Eraser. I guess my liking for the movie was what drove me to purchase it; I still have it in my collection too.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The first two I ever purchased in 1997, when I only had a DVD-ROM on my computer and no other way to watch them, were "The Manchurian Candidate" and "Veritgo".

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
My first dvd was R1 Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition and did not have a multi region player at the time.

:D

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
My first DVD's were Episode Volumes 1-3 of South Park. I didnt own a DVD player at the time but I am a huge fan of the show and knew I would be getting a DVD player eventually.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Air Force One on Feb 10, 1998. The day before I bought my first DVD player.

Now, don't ask me how or why I can remember the date.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
My first DVD was the special edition of Tomorrow Never Dies that came in the grey case. I still have it today, and will even if I get another Bond box set.

AJG

KyleC

Supporting Actor
The Matrix on my DVD-ROM at college. God watching movies on a 17" monitor sucked. lol

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
September 1, 1999 - Ahh... I remember it fondly

(cue wistful gaze and dream sequence)

Bought the three pack of Hitchcock Vertigo, Psycho, and AHPresents Vol. 1 - Got this the week before I moved from Iowa out to California to start my new life and two weeks before my first DVD player... :D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers ('78) at Borders.
i was holding a copy of that and LA Confidential in my hands trying to decide which one and i picked Invasion because
1) always liked the movie and hadn't seen it in a while
2) the letterboxed LD came out at the time i was phasing out my ld purchases so i had never picked it up, so i had never seen the film in its OAR
3) it had a "pod culture" retrospective and a commentary which sounded like a more substantial pack of extras than what was available on LAC. the retrospective turned out to be just a printed insert (sucker!) and i still haven't listed to all of the commentary (what i did didn't sound all that interesting)

before this first purchase i vowed not to fall into the same trap i did with LDs and just purchase things willy nilly.
i had thousands of $'s tied up in about 70 laserdiscs that i no longer watched and i didn't want to repeat that.
Invasion was a film i always enjoyed but it wasn't an 'all time must have' for me, so right off the bat i was breaking my vow, and thats been pretty much emblematic of my collection.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Xmas 97

Blade Runner
Dances With Wolves
Usual Suspects
Star Trek Generations

I think:)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
The Matrix was my first (about one week after its release in September '99). No DVD player. I purchased a new computer with a DVD-ROM drive on November 11 and that's the first I was able to watch it.

My first standalone player was December 29, 1999.

Funny how we remember these dates hmmmm? ;)

Shane D

Supporting Actor
mine was the criterion edition of robocop.

the chance to see the extended cut with more gore was just too much for me.
I had 300 bucks burning a hole in my pocket and my friend goes, well you have 300 dollars, just buy yourself a player. so i did and robocop. that was about..... june of 99. and now thousands of dollars later, i can admit i have a dvd habit =0)

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
I don't remember my first purchase. The day my HDTV and DVD player were delivered I went over to Blockbuster and got in on the 30 DVDs in 30 days deal. I remember the first DVD I watched on it though - Gladiator.

StephenA

Screenwriter
My first 4 DVDs were Gladiator, The Mummy(1999), Seven, and A Clockwork Orange, which I bought a couple days after Christmas in 2000. I got them because my sister got a Playstation 2. Now I have 2 DVD players and over 300 DVDs.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
My first was the original, non SE of Tomorrow Never Dies that came with my DVD Rom drive for the computer I was building. Followed quickly by a drive out to Best Buy for Pulp Fiction for 24.95. After that, I lose track, but Rush Hour and Ghostbusters were up there. Tons of fun on a 17" monitor in a darkened basement!

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Mars Attacks - Bought it early October 1997 when I ordered my Toshiba SD-3107 DVD player. I was blown away by the picture clarity and DD 5.1 sound...

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
In June of '98, I got my first player at Montgomery Wards. My wife said that since she "let" :) me get the player, she got to pick the first disc. So, our first was "Jerry Maguire".

My first "must-have" was "The Matrix".

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I bought Unbreakable and X-Men at the same time at a used CD/DVD store. Good times, good times...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks