Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

ST: DS9 question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   KyleC

KyleC

Supporting Actor

• 846 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 03:52 AM

I've been watching the seasons of DS9 for the past year or so. I'm only on season 4 right now but I have a problem. In the darker scenes, I notice "ghosting." Like someone's face against a darker background if they move you notice it like for a split second. If you look at someone's eyes when they move you can see their eyes stay for a second where they were before they move. It's nothing terribly too noticeable but afficiandos like us would. I was just wondering if one of the settings on my DVD player could help or eliminate that. I have a Sony NS400D. update: I watched the finale for season 4 last night and it was really grainy in spots.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Wezzo

Wezzo

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 04:03 AM

Well, I actually have the same problem regarding that - it may just be a bad transfer..?

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,353 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 04:24 AM

I didn't notice any such problems. Could it be your TV?

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   KyleC

KyleC

Supporting Actor

• 846 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 05:04 AM

Could be. I only have a 27" CRT, and my DVD-player is non-progressive.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 06:28 AM

The DS9 sets, unfortunately, like the TNG sets, could have seen better transfers. Later seasons seem a bit better overall, but darker scenes, especially in earlier seasons, suffer from occasional pixelation and some drifting pixels. I give the series high marks for production value, and the sets good marks for content - but most people have been somewhat disappointed in the picture quality. It looks better than I saw on the original broadcast, but our expectations for DVD are higher than that. TV product on DVD varies wildly in quality. These are somewhere in the middle of the pack. -Scott

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   KyleC

KyleC

Supporting Actor

• 846 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 06:54 AM

So will these look better on an HDTV with progressive? My big problem with the Trek sets so far is the audio, particularly the bass. Space battles are lackluster at best, and while I haven't gotten to seasons 6 and 7 of DS9 my expectations are low. Explosions are very low and almost non-existent. That's another reason why I can't wait for a First Contact SE.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 08:04 AM

Remember, this is 90's TV product...

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 09:09 AM

Your problem isn't with the Trek sets; it's with the original Trek audio. None of the TV shows has ever sounded like a big-budget theatrical release, and they never will. M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   ThibaultLonguet

ThibaultLonguet

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 05 2004 - 12:33 AM

Well I thought the transfer on DS9 DVDs was pretty good. Thibault.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users