What's new

Have you ever been so upset by?.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Have you ever been so upset by a show getting cancelled that it just really bothers you? I am not saying you go out and go postal. But, it just is a real annoyance and the more you think about it. The more it upsets you. I was going to write this based on shows that were cancelled in their first season. But, I guess it could be for any show. One show for me is John Doe. I really enjoyed it. And the fact that Fox lied to the producers doesn't help. Fox told them that they shouldn't reveal to much and to set up a cliffhanger, because they were definitely coming back. Besides, I don't think anything that has replaced Doe on Friday has done better.
I think Scifi channel, instead of making all of these other movies, should get the rights and do resolution movies to shows they have or should get. For example, Now & Again, which runs on their channel had a cliffhanger season finale. The show did very in the ratings when CBS cancelled it. It was a bit of a controversy because it was cancelled when it did pretty so well. Instead of doing a another movie about mutant spiders. Scifi should do a movie that resolves the show. I know the talent is doing other shows. But, most I am sure can be lured into doing a movie.
[END RANT]

James T

Screenwriter
I think the X-Files was the only show I know that survived FOX's Friday schedule. Fridays and FOX are not a good combination. Fox is pretty bad itself.

I was pretty upset that the 90s Spider-man was cancelled as the finale made you scratch your head. At least when the new CG Spider-man show ended, it had an ending.

I was also annoyed when they killed off the professor on Sliders. After that, the show went downhill and finished a season with a cliffhanger, got cancelled. Got brought back and finished with a cliffhanger, only to get cancelled again and then brought back. I watched the show on and off again after the Prof, but was curious about the cliffhangers....although I'm not sure about how the final season ended.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
The only show that came close to causing an outrage after being cancelled was Undeclared on FOX. After it's predecesor by the same creators, "Freaks and Geeks", was never given a chance by NBC,I grew very frustrated that such original and creative and funny programming was being shoved aside again. That "Andy Richter Control the Universe" was quickly canned as well didn't sit so well.

Hopefully the same fate does not rest with my current favourite comedy (that is also on FOX), "Arrested Development".

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Undeclared - Very funny show.
Freaks and Geeks
Fastlane - Great eye candy show.

If Arrested Development gets cancelled, I will be beyond pissed.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I said this in another thread. The problem today is that their are tons of new channels. And reality shows are not only popular they are cheap. This almost automatically kills comedies & drama's before they have a chance to catch on.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Not since Alien Nation. Then, I was mad, but since then I've basically accepted that television is a Darwinian environment and tended concentrate on enjoying what is shown. That, and figuring that unless you've got a contract for next season in hand, don't go the cliffhanger route. Just don't do it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't cry, but I was rather down and out for a few days after I heard the news, then again after Serenity aired. And then again after watching the DVD set.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
What was the situation with Farscape? Was it actually not "in hand"?

I'm annoyed that the suits at The WB screwed with Roswell ("more aliens!") toward the end of the first season. And it was downhill from there. But really upset? No.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
The Farscape crew did not find out about the cancellation until they were almost done filming the Season 4 finale. Once they found out, they decided to leave everything intact. All is well now though since they're just about half-way through filming on the mini-series.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Gee, how did I know someone would bring this up. Freaking broken record... Yes, it was unfortunate that Farscape got cancelled despite having every reason to expect returning, including an order (which apparently had more clauses than the general public was aware of, probably the case with most contracts). All that goes to show is that maybe that rule of thumb is two generous on when a cliffhanger is a good idea.

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Eckhardt
This complaint is geared more towards the networks in general rather than a particular show. If you're going to cancel a series, please get rid of the 'next time on...' preview at the end of the last show you air. More than once I've seen the preview, looked forward to the next episode, tuned in to watch, and the show was inexplicably gone :angry:

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
Pasadena's cancellation in 2001 made me mad. It was like a cross between Twin Peaks and Melrose Place. Fox showed it twice, wasn't on for a month aired it 2 more times then axed it. The thing that really pissed me off is they filmed all 13 episodes and wraped everything up at the end. Fox didnt even air the remaining episodes during the summer(probably cause of all the reality garbage). From what I've heard they aired in europe.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I had a few actually. It dosnt bother me so much that a show gets cancelled. Its when you watch a entire season and are left with no ending because of a cliffhanger. A waste of all that time for nothing

Nowhere Man
Firefly
Farscape-this one i just could not believe
John Doe

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Again, how is it a waste of time? I'd rather have those 15 episodes of FIREFLY that ended on a semi-cliffhanger, than NONE at all...

I still say, 15 episodes of Firefly was worth it. I could ask for more, but at least we got those.

I think Joss Whedon had a good idea with Season 1 of Buffy. They made 12 episodes, with a great story and beginning/middle/end. The finale left room for more, but had the show ended there... it would have easily worked. Thankfully it got picked up... but still..

TV shows should never do the cliffhanger thing unless they're sure they've got another season.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And even then, a cast member could get hit by a bus over the summer. And it makes the DVD sets a less appealing package. Hopefully, this practice will come to an end soon.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Let's see I was roarin' made over Farscape, hands down my favorite show.
Firefly was another- this probably would have done better if they AIRED THEM IN ORDER!
Birds of Prey to a lesser extent, it was just starting to catch stride when it got canned.
Undeclared was really good too.
John Doe, that had some potential to run 3-4 seasons.
Jake 2.0 was good too.
Can't think of any others at the moment....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks