Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

More Superfriends DVDs coming?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 William-V

William-V

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 11:21 AM

Just wondering if there's been any word from WB about future Superfriends DVDs? It's been a while since the last one, and I'm hoping they can at least finish the 'Challenge of the Superfriends' series with 2 more disks.

Anyone else feel like I do?

#2 of 19 Steve_Smith

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 04:44 PM

I agree, getting the first two volumes have been great. The only thing that worries me about future releases is that both volumes were announced the same time as the batman releases...and with the new set of batman's..no CotS.
But we should not give up hope Posted Image

#3 of 19 Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 03 2004 - 10:23 PM

I'd like to see some of the old filmation Batman cartoons. I still think the music on the older ones is great. Any chance of that, do you think ?
I've been going to bed early . . .

#4 of 19 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 11:53 PM

I've held off on these purchases because WB started revisiting so many of these series with box-set releases which initially started as individual snapper discs..

#5 of 19 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,384 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 05:49 AM

I certainly hope to see more Superfriends releases. Maybe when Justice League: Starcrossed is announced officially, Warner might give us a nice super-surprise to go along with it. Just hoping, anyway.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#6 of 19 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,648 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted February 04 2004 - 11:51 AM

SIGN ME UP FOR ANY OF THE ABOVE IN SEASON SETS!
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#7 of 19 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,860 posts

Posted February 05 2004 - 02:47 AM

Posted Image

Giganta says "More Superfriends dvds!...I need the residuals." Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#8 of 19 Dewitte

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted July 07 2004 - 10:18 AM

I hope all the hoopla over Batman: The Animated Series hasn't overshadowed the concurrent release of the Challenge of the Superfriends box set.

This set is terrific (particularly the humorous commentaries) and I've gotten over Warner's nefarious double-dipping scheme.

De
Retroactive Continuity - Yet another source of nuttiness on the Web!

#9 of 19 Mick Tees

Mick Tees

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted July 07 2004 - 11:46 AM

I'm confused...

I went to the TV Tome website and looked up SuperFriends. They have the original show simply called "SuperFriends" as airing in 1973. It was put out by Hanna Barbera. Then in 1977 "The All-New SuperFriends Hour" was released. And then "Challenge of the SuperFriends" and another "SuperFriends" version came out in 1978. In 1979 another "The World's Greatest SuperFriends" came out. In 1980 another "SuperFriends" came out. In addition there were two more follow-up programs to have "SuperFriends" in the title in the mid-eighties.

I'm debating whether to purchase the "Challenge Of The Superfriends" DVD set. I went to Amazon and people were posting reviews saying that this program was only one season.

I watched SuperFriends growing up in the 1970's but it wasn't my favorite. I don't recall having so many different seasons of it.

It looks like there were seven different seasons. Does anyone know if any of the other SuperFriends seasons are coming out on DVD? Would you recommend purchasing the current release (Challenge)?

#10 of 19 Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,302 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted July 07 2004 - 05:06 PM

I liked it and I think it is worth getting. There was one season of Challenge, I think. Each series differed in casting. Earlier ones with Marvin & Wendy and Wonderdog or The Wonder Twins had a team of five heroes, Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Robin and Aquaman. Challenge had those five plus Hawkman, Green Lantern, Flash, Apache Chief, Samurai, and Black Vulcan and maybe the Wonder Twins. They fought the Legion of Doom in this series. Earlier ones would have one villain an episode for the most part, this one focused on a Group including Lex Luthor, Bizzaro, Black Manta and others. This series has been regarded as being of a better quality than the other older ones, focusing more on super heroics than teen sidekicks. I haven't seen it in a while and I will be getting the box in a few weeks.

Now I would get them all, but I think if another is more likely it is the later Super Powers one with Firestorm and Cyborg joining the team.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#11 of 19 Randy*S

Randy*S

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted July 07 2004 - 11:33 PM

Well, if you're not saving for any sets of other shows right now and you like the superfriends or Hanna Barbera cartoons and with the set at 24.98 how can you go wrong? Posted Image
Disney please put Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends on DVD!!!!

I will NEVER buy ANY politically corrected/edited DVD!

#12 of 19 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 01:19 AM

Since I saw Challenge of the Superfriends at the store, I've been thinking about picking it up. Of course, I'd be all over it, as this was one of my favorite animated series growing up as a boy.

During the 1979-80 season they did at least two episodes that were heavily influenced by "Superman: The Movie", one in which Superman gives a tour of the Fortress of Solitude. While the interior looks more like the classic comics version, the exterior was taken from the film version. They also did a movie-inspired sequel which featured a Margot Kidder-esque Lois Lane being captured by Lex Luthor and his slow-witted henchman Orville (looking for all the world like Ned Beatty's Otis); Luthor then retreats to his underground hideaway (200 feet below Park Avenue) to contact a race of solar aliens to conquer the Earth and defeat the Superfriends. Those two episodes were particularly a hoot. I remember they also did one that was inspired by "Lord of the Rings" in which the Superfriends were transformed into Hobbit-like creatures.

Definitely would be interested in other season sets of the series. Posted Image
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#13 of 19 RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 02:18 AM

We are finally getting what we want! I agree that Challenge is not getting as much exposure, but hopefully fans of the Batman series will take a shot, like I did.

Who knows, if these two releases sell enough, we may see X-Men or Spider-Man sooner than we ever hoped!

Ryan

#14 of 19 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,384 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 06:43 AM

Michael Metro, see if my post last April clears up your confusion at all.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#15 of 19 Jon F.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted March 03 2005 - 01:25 AM

Is the CHALLENGE OF THE SUPERFRIENDS "Season 1" DVD edited?

I had someone tell me that the back of the box has fine print that says, "some footage may be missing from the original episodes and that these episodes were based on later runnings of the show".

Has anyone found that footage is mising from an actual episode? I thinking they may have just put that on the box because it originally aired as a one-hour show along with a different SuperFriends 30 minute segment.

#16 of 19 Matthew Green

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted July 02 2005 - 05:22 AM

So is there a volume 3 announced? I want the REAL deal episodes. The ones with Lord of Middle Earth etc.

#17 of 19 Daniel-M

Daniel-M

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted July 02 2005 - 06:52 AM

i where over at tv.com to find out what they haven't released yet, and it looks like they have enough episodes for at least 6 more releases

#18 of 19 Matthew Green

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted July 24 2005 - 11:32 AM

So...Any release date for volume 3 in site?

#19 of 19 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,648 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 25 2005 - 09:41 AM

I'm going through vol 2 right now, and laughing my ass off at it. I'm sure I'm enjoying this show for all the wrong reasons. My favorite is seeing Batman pull up in his jet/ "Motor-Craft" with his elbow hanging out the side window, like he's cruising the strip on a Saturday night, and a shit eating smirk plastered on his mug!

Can't wait for a volume 3, although the Wonder Twins are driving me nuts on these episodes. I really want that middle earth on as well. None of my friends believe me when I tell them about Wonder Woman being turned into a hobbit!
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!