What's new

problem with Cheers Season 2: Disk 2? (1 Viewer)

William-V

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone. First time poster here, who is looking forward to chatting about Home Theater!

Anyway, I was watching my Cheers Season 2 set when I noticed that during the episode where Coach does hand-stand push-ups (second episode on disk 2, I think) the picture does something I've never seen on DVD before. There appear to be VERY fine dark horizontal lines throughout the picture, particularly visible in flesh tones. It's almost as though my progressive player is only scanning every other line. The counter clock is also a little weird, as some digits take 2 seconds to go by, while others take half or the normal 1 second.

The opening of this particular episode is OK and things don't appear strange until after the first commercial break. Also, the other episodes on this particular disk are great with no problems. At first I thought it must be a defective disk, so I exchanged the set for a new one. Brought the new set home and found the same problem with disk 2. I then thought it may be my player, so I put the disk in the DVD drive in my PC and found the same problem with horizontal lines and the counter acting funny.

Has anyone else noticed this on the Cheers 2 set?

I'm still pretty new to home theater and really don't know what the problem could be.

Thanks a lot, and any help is appreciated.

Will

ChrisC

Grip
Hi Will,
My email probably won't be much of a help to you, but this does bring up an issue. I don't have the cheers set, but I had a similar experience with my friends season 6 set (exchanged a defective set for another set defective in exactly the same way).

My thought was, if you exchange it within a few days, it's most likely you are getting another set from the same shipment. I wonder if when defective discs are made, if the same problem happens several times in a row. And if those discs end up next to each other, the same store might get all defective discs. This is pure speculation, maybe someone who knows more could give more correct information.

So what I'm trying to say is, wait a bit until the store gets more copies in that are from a different shipment.

Chris

William-V

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Chris. The same thought occured to me, but since it's just a theory and I don't know at all if it's possible, I thought it was just wishful thinking. At least it's worth a try. Maybe someone else will know for sure.

Will

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
I have both Cheers sets. I watched the episode you mentioned and there was nothing wrong on my copy. I did happen to buy season 2 of Mad About You and there was a disc missing. After a few phone calls Best Buy decided they would replace it.

William-V

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot for the input guys. I'll pick up a new set in a little while and hope for the best!

Thanks again.
Will

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks