Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Good news! "Online Speaker Company Face-Off" coming up soon.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
129 replies to this topic

#1 of 130 Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 07:15 AM

Hi!
Maybe some of you remember that I sent an email to many HT magazines asking them to do an Online Speaker Company shootout. Unfortunately as most of you and I expected, none of the magz say yes to the idea pressumably because none of the online companies pay enough in ads to "earn" a review...sad but true thats the honesty of mag reviews now adays.
There is good news still, Ecoustics.com is going to do the Faceoff article and they are working on it just now. It will take sometime as its a complex thing but we will appreciate any input (I dont work for them but since I gave the idea they are listening to my opinions about how to do it).

Here are the products to be reviewed:
AXIOM: Bookshelf model M22ti ($400) Tower model M40ti ($490)
HTD: Bookshelf model Level 4 ($499) Tower model Level 3($429)
Fluance: Tower SV-10 ($299) also TOWERS ES-1 ($399)
Ascend Acoustics: Bookshelf CBM-170 ($328)
Aperion : Bookshel MODEL f522D-LR ($180 EACH)
Onyx Rocket model RS150 ($399)

As you can see with are doing an under $500 FaceOff first and will do an under $1000 later. My opinions is that we should compare all speakers based on price and not based on speaker type (ie tower or bookshelf) since lets say, Company A sells a tower for $400 a pair and Company B sells a Bookshelf also for $400 pair, I want to know which one is the better bang for the buck since they cost the same. If we were to separate into speaker types it will IMHO defeat the purpose of the article which is to find out which Speaker is the real Best-bang-for-the-buck. I mean, isnt Company A's fault that Company B prices a bookshelf at the same price at Company A's tower. Besides, just because of being a tower it doesnt mean that it is going to sound better than a bookshelf, ,more bass probably yes, but sonically better is another story. Hope to hear your opinions on this article.
Regards
Luis G.
Sales Rep
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies

#2 of 130 zangler

zangler

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 07:33 AM

fantastic idea! now get them to shootout everything else we fight about...cables, interconnects, source material...etc...lol. seriously i look forward to the article.

#3 of 130 Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 07:38 AM

LOL actually thats a good idea also :-)
Seriously it will be cool if every forum member lets me know if they are interested in the article so we could get even more motivated to complete it faster.
Luis G.
Sales Rep
Perpetual Technologies

#4 of 130 Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 07:46 AM

Any info on if the reviews will also contain technical measurements?

#5 of 130 ChadLB

ChadLB

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 07:47 AM

That should be a good shootout....can't wait to see the results as I know many have interest in all the speakers listed.

#6 of 130 Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:15 AM

We are having a little a problem regarding one point in particular. He wants to compare towers vs towers and bookshelves vs bookshelves. I think that defeats the purpose of the article which is to know wich one offers the best bang for the buck under $500pair. I mean, if Fluance sells towers for $200 pair and Ascend Acoustics sells the 170 bookshelf for $380pair, that isnt Fluance's fault. We still need to know if indeed the higher priced bookshelf is better than the tower. Just because it is a tower doesnt mean it is better. We are not looking for the one with more bass but with better sound quality, imaging, all that. All I want to know is where are my $500 or less better spend and it doesnt matter if its a BK or Tower. Do you agree?
Luis G.
Sales Rep
Perpetual Technologies

#7 of 130 WilliamMc

WilliamMc

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:20 AM

I vote for a comparison buy price. And I agree, If a company can bring a tower to market for the price of a bookshelf, then hats off to them!

#8 of 130 Nhan_H

Nhan_H

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:24 AM

Luis,

Sorry for not responding to your other thread. I'm really busy with work right now, and will be contacting the HTD guys re: their Level 4 towers to do a comparison with my Rocket 550s later this month. PM me if you're interested in stopping by.

--Nhan

#9 of 130 Mitch_J

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:29 AM

Luis,
I agree. The comparison should be by price-point not type. I'm very interested in this comparison. I'm subscribing to this thread.

#10 of 130 cabreau

cabreau

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:31 AM

I disagree. I don't think you can compare apples to oranges just because they fall into the same price range. I'd rather see a rating, maybe 1-10 for towers, then for bookshelves, etc. The price will be listed, I'm sure.
"...He who knows how to live can walk abroad without fear of rhinocerous or tiger. He will not be wounded in battle. For in him rhinoceroses can find no place to thrust their horn, tigers can find no place to use their claws, and weapons no place to pierce. Why is this so? Because he has no...

#11 of 130 Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:42 AM

I dont think is apple to oranges at all. They are both speakers, they will be doing the same thing. And when you factor the price of stands and size...a Bookshelf ends up taking as much space and maybe at a higher price. We can also add a single bookshelf and single tower winner as a separate note.
Regards
Luis G.
Sales Rep
Perpetual Technologies

#12 of 130 Evan M.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

• 910 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:46 AM

I don't really think it will matter too much whether it is bookshelf vs' bookshelf or just all against each other including towers. Personaly I would rather see apples against apples and oranges against oranges because I think a lot of people who buy bookshelf does not want a tower, and people who buy tower does not want a bookshelf. I think we can deduce from the testing on whethera bookshelf will be "better" than a tower if it is a thorough and well done and written piece. I also do not find any reason why you couldn't have the bookshelf vs' bookshelf and tower vs' tower than in a section after do a separate test that compares them all and which is the best bang for the buck. I do not see that this would be a big problem since everything will be tested anyway. It would just be a matter of cmparing numbers, notes and opinions. At any rate, I am looking foward to seeing the outcomes. Great idea!!!!

#13 of 130 Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:47 AM

Good idea also.
Luis G.
Sales Rep
Perpetual Technologies

#14 of 130 ChrisArmour

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:51 AM

I absolutly agree with comparison based on price, that is one of the main reasons for going with an internet only company, more value for your cash. So it stands to reason that an internet speaker standoff should be based on price/performance, and not speaker type. A couple of speakers I would like to see added to the list are the RAD Metals ($350/pr) and the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340L/R ($500/pr).

#15 of 130 JerryMa

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:56 AM

I think comparison by type makes more sense. Bookshelf speakers, no matter the brand or price, are different than towers, no matter the brand or price. They are constructed differently and produce sound differently. Plus, I think more consumers look for speaker by type rather than price. I wouldn't compare a $400 tower to a $600 bookshelf if I were shopping for new speakers (I am). My particular listening needs/preferences, room dimensions/set-up, and available speaker locations make it difficult if not impossible to buy towers. I've been comparing bookshelf speakers from multiple manufacturers for months. I considered towers briefly but dropped the notion very early on. An article comparing various speakers would only be helpful to me if it compared models of the same type, bookshelf or tower.

#16 of 130 Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 09:06 AM

I will add those to the list.
Luis G.
Sales Rep
Perpetual Technologies

#17 of 130 Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 12:15 PM

Swan 2.1 also added now.
Regards
Luis G.
Sales Rep
Perpetual Technologies

#18 of 130 Chad A

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 12:19 PM

I think the price point comparison sounds like the way to go.
I might suggest that they have two members of their team do reviews on them seperately, then we can get a more average account of values.
Two heads are better than one right?

#19 of 130 Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 12:21 PM

Actually we were just discussing that as you are very correct about it, its better to have two different opinions specially regarding something so subjective as "best sounding" evaluation.
Regards
Luis G.
Sales Rep
Perpetual Technologies

#20 of 130 Douglas S.L

Douglas S.L

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 01:18 PM

Let the games begin.......Posted Image